+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What kind paint to use to put names on JetFin?

Roland Somodi rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver's Avatar
    Homebuilt(s)

Inspiration Classic

What kind of paint to use to put names on JetFin?

Everybody in our group use a Scubapro JetFin and of course most of use a same size. Sometimes it is just hard to figure out to whom each pair belongs to. We have decided to paint the names on the bottom of the fins. Guess what? The paint we used didn't stick to rubber and some of them came off instantly when we removed the vinyl from around the letters. Some lasted about 10-20 dives but cracked badly. I had tried 4 different kinds of paints to do the job but no success. 2 of the guys in our group owns/works at a tyre repair shop but the paint they use to mark the tyres was not good either.Could you guys recommend the right kind of paint for this purpose? I greatly appreciate all the help!

Very Respectfully

Roland
    Last edited by rolanddiver; 23rd November 2008 at 11:54. Reason: misspelled word/grammar incorrect

i ko nix dafüa seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu's Avatar
    sf 1,?

jj,mccr-inspi,classic,rgfüm

Re: What kind paint to use to put names on JetFin?

hi
    i use cable straps.divesystem tecfins have nice holes in the middle.
    gruss sepp

RBW Member RBailey will become famous soon enough RBailey will become famous soon enough RBailey will become famous soon enough RBailey will become famous soon enough RBailey's Avatar

I assume you mean for not getting mixed up on the surface.
    Use a Dremel and engrave, if you want to be extra fancy maybe able to smear some paint into bottom of the engraving but not really needed.

For underwater I have strips of SOLAS tape, when it starts comming off after a while I take it all off, clean, abraid and put new tape. Not good for individual specific ID but gives a good light reflection to anybody behind me.

RBW Member Nazaar will become famous soon enough Nazaar will become famous soon enough Nazaar will become famous soon enough Nazaar will become famous soon enough Nazaar's Avatar

As a spray paint Krylon Fusion works well if you wanted to make a stencil or similar. It bonds to the rubber. Just remember not to put too many layers on, or it will crack off the surface.

RBW Member Chris_H is an unknown quantity at this point Chris_H's Avatar
    KISS Classic

I used paint pens on mine (Aqualung Rocket Fins) and they have held up reasonably well. See my avatar for results. After a cup of coffee I'll see if I can find the brand I used and take a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

My low tech solution is a couple wraps of Yellow electrical tape on the tube covering the springs on my heel straps.

Dive Safe

Mark

RBW Member Chris_H is an unknown quantity at this point Chris_H's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_H  View Original Post
    I used paint pens on mine (Aqualung Rocket Fins) and they have held up reasonably well. See my avatar for results. After a cup of coffee I'll see if I can find the brand I used and take a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.
    Here is the manufacturer's link
    Super Met-Al Paint Markers Made in USA
    Attached Images

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

duct-tape

been on there for years

also helps buddy to see me
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Drmike; 23rd November 2008 at 14:47.

RBW Member robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante is a glorious beacon of light robinfante's Avatar
    HammerMeg, Sidemount Prism,

HammerMk15, LARV, Kiss

white paint pens. touch up seasonally.

works like a charm

useful for confusing the easily narked when you grab a buddy's pair by accident.

Roland Somodi rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver's Avatar
    Homebuilt(s)

Inspiration Classic

Thanks for the posts guys! I have ordered some paint pan from the car parts store. I was told it works fine. Accidently they mixed up my white pen with a red one and I just realized it at home. I put a little in the inside part of the fin just to see how much it sticks to rubber. it didn't work too good at all. A buddy of mine got his 3 letters engraved by a laser engraver and it feeds the purpose. I probably just get the same thing done and use a white paint marker to do it. It seems like after the engraving process, the surface of the rubber became more glossy, so paint might stick to it better. Will let you know. Thank you all for your time and help.

VR

Roland

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast