+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dive destination without CCR tanks: what do you do?

Nicholas Smith Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo's Avatar
    Megalodon

Dive destination without CCR tanks: what do you do?

I want to take the family to Sam's Dive Tours in Palau. They have O2 and sorb but no CCR tanks. I'm lucky because the Megalodon is relatively accomodating on tanks. What do you do in these cases? Do you try and take tanks and risk the airline causing you not to be able to take them, or do you make do with whatever tanks they have there? If you make do with their tanks, how do you rig it?

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Re: Dive destination without CCR tanks: what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Abbo  View Original Post
    I want to take the family to Sam's Dive Tours in Palau. They have O2 and sorb but no CCR tanks. I'm lucky because the Megalodon is relatively accomodating on tanks. What do you do in these cases? Do you try and take tanks and risk the airline causing you not to be able to take them, or do you make do with whatever tanks they have there? If you make do with their tanks, how do you rig it?

Sidemount an 80 of O2 and an 80 of Air

Configure your Meg so you can quick connect in O2 to the solenoid, and Dil to the ADV.

See ADM E-Zine issue 4 for an article

Register (ITS FREE) and download all 4 magazines

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

If weight permits, you SHOULD have no problem taking some tanks as carry on or checked luggage. Here is a link to the TSA page. TSA: Compressed Gas Cylinders
    Print it out and carry it with you, and wrap a copy around one of the tanks. I had no problems once I showed the agents these regulations.

Carry-on is better. I removed the valves and loosely screwed in pvc plugs that I had drilled a small hole in so they couldn't hold pressure. I had a note attached explaining that the plugs were loose and could be removed, but were there to prevent debris from getting in the tank. If they are in your carry-on, the agent may ask you to remove the plugs. If they are in checked baggage, you have no ability to show them the printed regulations or remove the plugs for them. They can ignore any notes you put with the tanks and just confiscate them if they want to be difficult.

Coming home may be a different story. You will be subject to their regulations. And even if they accept US regulations, there may be a language barrier getting them to understand it. I had that situation returning from Cozumel.

You have the advantage of being able to use 80s in a pinch. No such luck for me.

Bon Voyage.

Ken

Nicholas Smith Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo's Avatar
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    Sidemount an 80 of O2 and an 80 of Air

Configure your Meg so you can quick connect in O2 to the solenoid, and Dil to the ADV.

See ADM E-Zine issue 4 for an article

Register (ITS FREE) and download all 4 magazines
    Is there anything to be gained from going for the full Monty with the A2 Harness over merely going for the simple $80 Armadillo and attaching it to my existing Transpac harness?

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

I don't think I have ever had a problem travelling around asia with ccr bottles. A lot of smiling and shhowing you are willing to pull the stuff out and demonstrate its empty etc helps a lot. Which way are you going, through the Philippines?

Dave

Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1w  View Original Post
    I don't think I have ever had a problem travelling around asia with ccr bottles. A lot of smiling and shhowing you are willing to pull the stuff out and demonstrate its empty etc helps a lot. Which way are you going, through the Philippines?

Dave
    The normal route from Tokyo is with a stopover in Guam. There used to be a direct flight, but I can't see any at the moment. You're probably right about the tanks, but it would be a pain to have my tanks confiscated. I suppose it would be a good idea to take the set up for sidemounting too.

Doesn't sidemounting move your centre of gravity down your body, with the result that you have the trim characteristics of a seahorse? I already have a little trouble with trim, as a result of the bottom hole on my TransPac coming apart with old age and a decade of shameless abuse.

RBW Member quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean's Avatar
    Meg

If you put them in your checked luggage just remember to leave the cylinders with the valves off and open with no plug or cap on them, otherwise you'll run into trouble with TSA.

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Abbo

I like the sidemount idea but have not tried it yet. I am not so concerned about the trim as I find most sidemount cave divers have excellent trim and when I sidemoun my bo tanks with the armadillo I feel my trim imporves. Eitherway I am sure it can be sorted out with some practise and adjustments.

Another option, and the one I am currently using, is to deinvert your tanks and install normal tank bands that can accomodate tanks up to 80cuft. Its quite easy to do on the Meg and several people have done it. In a wetsuit my trim improved alot as the weight of the tank valves shifted the cog up towards my head and away from my butt.

John

RBW Member Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe's Avatar
    Megaladon

I have played around with side mounting with my Meg and I trimmed out beautifully with minimal effort.

What you need to be concerned with is your ability to read the MOD labels on your bottles and quick, clean access if you need to bail out. Not hard to do but requires a little bit of tinkring to get it right.

Also, unless you carry a 3rd bottle, you will not be able to easily share gas with a buddy (consider adding a 7 foot hose), be totally redundant (if a regulator fails) or pass off a bailout bottle. One solution might be to take a modular valve with a shut off for a second reg.

The normal route from Tokyo is with a stopover in Guam. There used to be a direct flight, but I can't see any at the moment. You're probably right about the tanks, but it would be a pain to have my tanks confiscated. I suppose it would be a good idea to take the set up for sidemounting too.

Doesn't sidemounting move your centre of gravity down your body, with the result that you have the trim characteristics of a seahorse? I already have a little trouble with trim, as a result of the bottom hole on my TransPac coming apart with old age and a decade of shameless abuse.

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Is there anything to be gained from going for the full Monty with the A2 Harness over merely going for the simple $80 Armadillo and attaching it to my existing Transpac harness?

That would depend on your personal trim in the water? We are all different. If I the aluminum 80's are going to be a bit heavy on your butt, fill them only to 2200 psi and they will not be. (watch the amount of gas needed to bailout)

I cannot ever fly with cylinders because of the 50 pounds of extra camera gear I travel with, so I have become accustom to diving sidemount cylinders, no matter where I travel. Works great for me.