+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: mccr techniques

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

mccr techniques

hey all you mccr divers out there. how do you plan your flow rate throgh the bleeder orifice? say you are scootering then swimming? do you just set it for your lowest resting metabolic O2 consumption and add as neccesary? also, how do you handle a bleeder system that begins to deliever too much O2?, such as a creeping IP on the O2 reg? manually feathering the O2 bottle valve is tricky especially deep or scootering in a cave. adding dil constantly puts you into SCR mode. i know you can carry offboard O2 and feed in manually, but that is not always practical. i use an solenoid isolator on my Optima. is that used in line with the bleeding orifice to isolate the orifice on mccr rigs? any help appreciated. inquiring for a buddy who is considering a mccr rig like the COPIS or REVO

Nailer99 Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith's Avatar
    Megalodon

Re: mccr techniques

During my innitial training, we went to a fixed depth (100', I think), adjusted our P02s to a nice, stable setpoint of 1.3, and spent about 10 minutes not exerting ourselves, hanging in the water, or just barely finning. We were told to watch our P02, and see if it crept up, or decayed too quickly-we then made adjustments to our IP pressure until it was where we wanted it. The ideal is to have the P02 decay very gradually when in a state of rest or low exertion. 10-15 minutes before you need to add 02 in this state is about perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by swadiver  View Original Post
    hey all you mccr divers out there. how do you plan your flow rate throgh the bleeder orifice? say you are scootering then swimming? do you just set it for your lowest resting metabolic O2 consumption and add as neccesary? also, how do you handle a bleeder system that begins to deliever too much O2?, such as a creeping IP on the O2 reg? manually feathering the O2 bottle valve is tricky especially deep or scootering in a cave. adding dil constantly puts you into SCR mode. i know you can carry offboard O2 and feed in manually, but that is not always practical. i use an solenoid isolator on my Optima. is that used in line with the bleeding orifice to isolate the orifice on mccr rigs? any help appreciated. inquiring for a buddy who is considering a mccr rig like the COPIS or REVO
    Last edited by Joshua Smith; 22nd November 2008 at 21:28. Reason: addenda

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

You set the basal flow to give your metabolic requirement when hanging on a stop. When you need more ie when active, then you add more (and you learn the correlation between your activilty level and your "extra" O2 consumption quite intimately), guided by PO2 meters, but also by experience of activity, and loop volume.
    If your system starts adding too much O2 then it is malfunctioning. The safest thing is to control via the tank valve - and its Not that hard! (some Kiss divers buddies haven't even realised there has been a problem until after the dive). If Just a bit too much you Could just vent and add a bit more dil every so often, but as you already know it has malfunctioned you'd be watching it like a hawk, and just controlling on the valve might be less fraying on the nerves instead of expecting a huge O2 add at any time as a minor malfunction becomes a major one!

Neil

rEvo combat swimmer fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman's Avatar
    rEvo

Orca

I am a fairly large guy, I made sure the flow was about .7l/m and went diving. End of story. If you are tiny or metabolize like a lizard, I would set it a little lower. If PPO2 creeps up on deco, that is OK, and you are generally ascending anyway.
    Why make something simple difficult.
    If I was doing something unusual (for me) like filming, the above might not apply.

RBW Member Paul Trainor has a spectacular aura about Paul Trainor has a spectacular aura about Paul Trainor has a spectacular aura about Paul Trainor has a spectacular aura about Paul Trainor has a spectacular aura about Paul Trainor's Avatar
    JJ-CCR,KISS Explorer, KISS GEM

rEvo,Dolphin. Ray. KISS Sport.

A good way to find out what setting to use is to do a "dry dive" on your couch. When you have it set right, you can go for about 15 mins without having to add O2. If it creeps up on you then it's too fast. If it drops then it's too slow. If anything, a little on the slow side is better than a little on the fast side. I've been on some pretty relaxing 30M + dives where I've not needed to manually add O2 at all. I would not like the PO2 creeping up at any depth.

I've got a hydrogom CMV and I've got a swageloc valve right in front of it, so if there was a problem with it creeping up on me, I can just shut it off while keeping the cmv in my hand. You can even contoll the flow a little with the valve though I don't think that's such a good idea, it sure beats turning your cylinder off and trying to feather the tank vavle... specially at the end of a dive in cold water where you can't really feel your fingers....

i ko nix dafüa seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu's Avatar
    sf 1,?

jj,mccr-inspi,classic,rgfüm

hi
    my flow is 0.9.with a little work good,on deco goes the po2 every 5 minutes 0,1 higher.but from 100m with all the deepstops is the po2 stable. from 24 meter sometimes i make a little diluent flush.
    after a lot of dives with 0,7 is this for me better.its good to know ,higher workload at the bottom is not the troublemaker.
    gruss sepp

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

thanks all for your responses

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

I don't have a flow meter so I use the interstage pressure as my guide to setting up the unit.

Id start at 10bar IP and see how that worked on a sofa dive.

I ended up with 11bar for actual diving which gives me about a 10min drop off. I am probably going to up this a bit in the near future to 11.5bar.

ATB

Mark

Banned Sock Puppet JohanW is an unknown quantity at this point JohanW's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swadiver  View Original Post
    Hi, my homebuild has modified swagelock needle and it is set to bleed at lower than my resting metabolism..this gives lots of flexibility, hope it helps.

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

we used a flow meter and adjusted to just below our metabolic rate. I manually add about every 5 minutes or so at a constant depth. I monitor at a rate that would theoretically catch creep or clog... neither has happened yet.

g

Gill Envy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast