RBW Member Toman is an unknown quantity at this point Toman's Avatar

Re: Video- Cave Explorer, Brett Hemphill and his modified classic kiss

Ah ok. My English is not the best

Found this thread about two O2s onboard:
    http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=21754

Great Forum Curt!
    Thanks
    Thomas

New Member Brett B Hemphill will become famous soon enough Brett B Hemphill will become famous soon enough Brett B Hemphill will become famous soon enough Brett B Hemphill will become famous soon enough Brett B Hemphill's Avatar

Please know, I do not promote, nor do I suggest, making any modifications to your personal re-breather or to that of any other persons re-breather based on mine or anyone’s suggestions or modifications.

Hello Everyone:

I have received a considerable amount of questions concerning some of the modifications to my KC.

Curt and I shot this segment with very few takes which is apparent by some of the poor grammar I tend to use when I get nervous, so I apologize for that.

One question I received was how the KISS manual add valve handles higher pressure.
    I believe there was some confusion here about the manual add receiving the higher IP, which is not the case.

(Answer) – The manual add valve, once capped, operates off a balanced O2 -1st stage which functions as any normal 1st stage would.

Just make sure as I mentioned, that your OPV over- pressurization valve is set for less cracking pressure that your LP hoses. (Also there are currently several manual add valves available now like Golem and Pelagian.)

The other modification mentioned was concerning the spring used to gain the higher than normal intermediate pressure in the environmentally sealed 1st stage which operates the metering valve.

The problem is as follows. Any spring will begin to relax over time. The danger in this is, if your adjustment on the metering valve becomes an unmonitored preset due to complicacy, eventually this preset will not remain the same, which could be a danger for those who’s attention span is a bit relaxed.

As I showed during the video, closing and returning the valve to its calibrated point is a quick way to reaffirm stability. Also shutting it down completely and running it on the manual side is a safe method, if you have a redundant manual O2.

The Standard APEX spring will begin to bind after reaching approximately 160 or so.
    Moving to a spring with a greater threshold / tinsel strength is possible if you reverse the IP adjustment cap.

Reversing the IP adjustment cap is done by simply removing and flipping it over and using the opposite side as the shunt for the spring. By doing this, you can introduce a longer, stronger spring.
    (Continue to do IP and OPV checks on a regular basis and never exceed the hose pressure.)

Someone mentioned the BOV setting for a gradual reintroduction to the loop after getting off it. This was only to illustrate that this could be a gradual situation instead of a back and fourth procedure.

I’m not advocating getting back on the loop if you are not absolutely sure you recognize what the problem is. Remember, hypercapnia is not something you can recover quickly from by just going to OC bail out. Know that you know what the problem is before you recommit to the loop.
    On the other side of the coin, if you ever find yourself analyzing the loop while you’re still on it, eventually you may become a statistic.

The large scrubber I showed carries 11.5 lbs of material. Its length is the same as the original KISS scrubber but its diameter is 2” greater. With the addition of radial venturie ramps cut into the radius of the lower screen and some additional edges being rounded inside the head and using cooper hoses and high flow wagon wheels, I have successfully used this scrubber for a series of dives up to 18 hours. After that period, there was still a considerable and comparable caustic reaction throughout most of the scrubber.

Still a work in progress.

Got to go.

Talk to you all soon.

Brett B Hemphill
    Last edited by Curt Bowen; 25th November 2008 at 01:07.

RBW Member dave burke is on a distinguished road dave burke is on a distinguished road dave burke's Avatar
    APD Vision

Great video
    good to see what you have done to your RB
    safe diving
    dave

RBW Member WooDoo is on a distinguished road WooDoo is on a distinguished road WooDoo's Avatar

Guys , pleeeeeeaaaassseeeeee get the video of harness set up . I am just sick of thinking how its managed . Please.

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by WooDoo  View Original Post
    Guys , pleeeeeeaaaassseeeeee get the video of harness set up . I am just sick of thinking how its managed . Please.

Good things take time, which we all have little of

Excuse me, I speak Dive alyafi is just really nice alyafi is just really nice alyafi is just really nice alyafi is just really nice alyafi is just really nice alyafi is just really nice alyafi is just really nice alyafi is just really nice alyafi is just really nice alyafi is just really nice alyafi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brett B Hemphill  View Original Post
    Please know, I do not promote, nor do I suggest, making any modifications to your personal re-breather or to that of any other persons re-breather based on mine or anyone’s suggestions or modifications.
    Hello Everyone:
    Still a work in progress.

Got to go.

Talk to you all soon.

Brett B Hemphill
    Thank you for your contribution and follow up.

Green sent

Yafi

Christian Rasmussen depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth's Avatar

Hi Brett

Pretty sleek setup you got there :)

Can you please explain to me how you attach the RB to your back. It looks like you use SS clips at the hips on each side for the buttom, but what about on the top of the rebreather?

Best regards

Christian

Train Wrecked Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive's Avatar
    rEvo hccr

KISS CLASSIC

Thanks guys,

Curt These videos are great... I know they take time and I appreciate them...more so that they are on this format so I can watch them on my lunch breaks etc...

good stuff keep it coming when you can...

Thanks

Chris

RBW Member RedDucati will become famous soon enough RedDucati will become famous soon enough RedDucati will become famous soon enough RedDucati will become famous soon enough RedDucati's Avatar

Great video. I'd like to see one like that on the Megalodon.

Tyler

RBW Member KiwiMagic is an unknown quantity at this point KiwiMagic's Avatar

Videos like this are so useful. Even though I do not own a KISS, the tips that he gives are very helpful. I would like to see more of these sorts of videos.