+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sorb - where to buy

RBW Member Tegg is an unknown quantity at this point Tegg's Avatar

Re: Sorb - where to buy

Quote Originally Posted by tony13  View Original Post
    Tegg let us know what you receive. I ordered from them earlier and got sodalime as opposed to sofnolime in the pic. I was told you have to ask for sofnolime specifically later by a board member. I've used it (the sodalime) on 4 shallower dives with no problems here, but would love to get sofnolime at that price.

I got my 3 x 37lb (5 Gallon) pails today.

I compared the product to my Molecular 44lb keg that I got from DRE (a bit ago) and it is identical material from the looks of it. I could not physically see a difference in the product.

I verified on the phone that this product is made in the UK by Molecular. Says so on the side of the pail too. It is just rebranded as "Airgas Sodalime".

I will test the WOB on the next dive, but from the looks of it, it should be the same.

At $2/lb after shipping, this is a great deal.

rEvo Shearwater tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13's Avatar
    rEvo

Sounds like good news. Does your pails look like mine?

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

You will need to be specific when indicating the material is the same as DRE. They carry two differrent products which have much different CO2 capacities. The first below being 40% higher than the second.

797 or D grade or 812 is 1.0-2.5mm particle size or 8-12 mesh and is a triangular cross section

408 or L grade or CD is 2.0-5.0mm particle size or 4-8 mesh and is D shape cross section

All information above taken from DRE and Molecular websites. Here is a technical sheet comparing the two products.

http://www.molecularproducts.co.uk/u...DS6%20REV1.pdf

Hope this helps to sort out what you have and the pricing comparisons.

From my perspective it looks like you have gotten the lower grade product 4-8 mesh. I have no experience with this large a particle size in dive conditions. I have used Sodasorb with a 6-12mesh and Sofnolime with 8-12 mesh.

Rather than flying blind you may want to consult with the manufacturer of your unit to get a recommendation on scrubber duration if this mesh size is not the same as the one they recommended and/or being more conservative/cautious.

John

Quote Originally Posted by tony13  View Original Post
    Sounds like good news. Does your pails look like mine?
    Yes.

jkaterenchuk -

This is the 4-8 mesh product that I use for my breather. Sorry for not being more descriptive.

It is NOT the 8-12 mesh, as I also have that product from DRE here with me. This is definitely 4-8.

rEject TJS is a jewel in the rough TJS is a jewel in the rough TJS is a jewel in the rough TJS is a jewel in the rough TJS is a jewel in the rough TJS is a jewel in the rough TJS is a jewel in the rough TJS is a jewel in the rough TJS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler S.  View Original Post

Odd that happened to you.

I have put 2 dives at 4hours each on the sorb I bought with no issues.

Wonder if you think it is CO2 or something else, since the "Medical Grade" sorb is rated at the same CO2 Capacity as the L Grade (More common in diving use).

The only difference between the L Grade that the product sheet defines is hardness. The CO2 capacity is the same, thus it is odd that your sorb "seemed" to not be scrubbing the CO2.

Personally I would contact Airgas and tell them what took place and see if they can verify that your sorb is "working", maybe you got a bad batch?

Link to information about molecular grades :

http://www.molecularproducts.co.uk/u...DS6%20REV1.pdf
    Last edited by Tegg; 12th January 2009 at 22:52.

rEject TJS is a jewel in the rough TJS is a jewel in the rough TJS is a jewel in the rough TJS is a jewel in the rough TJS is a jewel in the rough TJS is a jewel in the rough TJS is a jewel in the rough TJS is a jewel in the rough TJS's Avatar

How deep were the dives? What was the water temperature? Im thinking the reaction time may differ based on the hardness. Also the sorb I got was labeled as indicating, when I took my rebreather apart right after one of the dives it was all uniform in color (white).

RBW Member Skippy31 is an unknown quantity at this point Skippy31's Avatar

For those in Canada we stock Sofnoline in both 4-8 and 8-12 grades.

Both shipping and pickup are available.

https://www.scubageek.ca/main/index....-products.html

Mat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2