+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: CCR Cave course trip report

Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar

Re: CCR Cave course trip report

just reread the article, and I have to say I'm inspired.

RBW Member jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar's Avatar

I just read this report as well. It is always informative to hear about training classes..especially at this level.

I checked out your pics and well...I dont see myself ever cave diving. That just gives me the willies.

RBW Member tumbler is an unknown quantity at this point tumbler's Avatar

Thanks for the nice writeup... I'm taking my CCR cave class next month in FL and it's nice to learn a bit about what to expect.

Train Wrecked Guppy ;) brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr has much to be proud of brockbr's Avatar

I just got to read this - Great write up!

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

Mike,

Nice detailed report. I know it is many years old, but I am planning on doing CCR Cave in a few months in the same location, so still vary useful.

Eric

Go diving zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz is a jewel in the rough zzzzzzzz's Avatar

Dear Dr. Mike,

Just read your write-up of your cave diving course in Florida.

Interesting bit about the whole leader/follower placement. Tradition in cave diving circles is to line divers up in a line. Looks good on video and convenient to avoid clusters ('nuff said). The reason why the lead dog seemingly goes at a slow pace and everybody else is feeling like things are going fast is because they are swimming in the leader's prop wash.

By using a technique similar to Geese and other flying/flocking/migratory birds, one can get more out of formation swimming. The trick is to avoid the water coming out from the folks in front. Then everybody gets a great experience. Not always easy in the smaller tunnels, but there is typically always some way to dodge the blast. People don't go as fast in the smaller tubes anyway.

Did you visit the Brown Lantern for spare ribs? There is a whole course of restaurants that are also part of Florida cave diving tradition, from the hot dogs at the fork in high springs, to the pumpernickel bread at the steakhouse, to Floyd's and much more. These need to be in your next report. It is shocking that your instructor did not provide you with a full and complete diving regiment. No wonder you were freezing in the latter caves.

No mention of the gator at Alachua, s'up?

z

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mempilot  View Original Post
    Mike,

Nice detailed report. I know it is many years old, but I am planning on doing CCR Cave in a few months in the same location, so still vary useful.

Eric

thanks, you will have a blast Im sure,

Been back every year since the course and currently starting to think about this years visit. Some lovely caves - Hole in the wall is waiting!

RBW Member pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476's Avatar
    Meg

Great article, great writing.

As a fellow cave diver I was living the dives while I read. I just came back from High Springs 3 weeks ago. With the rain in northern FL, all caves were blown out except Ginnie and Manatee Springs. Talk about crowded. Also Jackson Blue was a nice dive. We swam out to the stoplight and did the 2 simple circuits on the way out and back. 2300" and 150 minutes. CCR cave diving is hard to beat isn't it?

Paul

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4