+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to develop skills on rebreather ?

RBW Member Eric LEJEUNE is an unknown quantity at this point Eric LEJEUNE's Avatar

How to develop skills on rebreather ?

As a beginner, I dive every week and try to be more self confident with my rebreather.

But, it is not enough, I intend to passe a mod 3. I would like to known what kind of exercises do you practice to develop your skills ?

Nailer99 Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith's Avatar
    Megalodon

Re: How to develop skills on rebreather ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric LEJEUNE  View Original Post
    As a beginner, I dive every week and try to be more self confident with my rebreather.

But, it is not enough, I intend to passe a mod 3. I would like to known what kind of exercises do you practice to develop your skills ?
    The only way to get better at diving is to dive a lot. Don't be in too big of a hurry to get to Mod 3, or super-duper lemon-wedge trimix. Just dive. You'll be ready when you're ready.

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Try to do some skills practice on almost every dive. That way, you won't lose your proficiency that you had during your training. See if you can get other divers to dive with you on dedicated skills dives.

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Let me try a different approach. The thing an instructor wants to see is someone who has solidly mastered the skills he already expects to see and is open minded/attentive on their course. The thing they DONT want to see is someone who has let their basic skills lapse, which means that they have to be re-taught, eating into time on their new course.

Short answer, practise all the skills that were evaluated on your mod 1/2.... especially the ones involving bail out.

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Here are some things I have done in the past.

In a pool or a shallow site 3M or less and wearing the gear configuration used on the course performed the following until they are perfected.

1) Hover 1m off the bottom for 3 minutes without moving hands or fins.

To do this correctly trim needs to be bang on. If its not then you will have to make movements to maintain position. Adjust weight and equipment position until skill can be achieved. It will be important that you can stay in the horisontal dive position and can achieve and maintain a stop at any depth required. Achieving this in shallow water means deeper is easier.

2) Once #1 is achieved then do the same while keeping hands and mind busy. Practise normal skills plus send up a lift bag, remove stage and hand it off, flood mask, remove and replace mask.

Beside helping to practise the basic CCR skills this allows you to hold position while doing other critical things without thinking about it. Your mind will be much more in touch with running the CCR.

3) Once done #2 then hold a reel in one hand and keep it extended then do some skills with only one hand. Switch to Bo and back, clear water out of the loop, flood mask and clear it, shutdown tank valves, remove mask and replace it.....

In reality these skills are needed to be performed with one hand during alot of dives....ie high current on a line.

Once the above have been mastered do the following things on regular dives in addition to practising the CCR skills.

Run your unit manually for an entire dive (assuming you have an eCCR).
    Run your unit as an SCR for an ascent.
    BO at depth and do an OC ascent. Note gas usage.
    Deploy a lift bag from depth and 6M as often as possible in under 1 minute.

I am not saying that you should go out an try any of these skills by yourself or without a buddy. This is just a list of things that I have done and have helped me be a better CCR diver.

John

RBW Member Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point Campbell's Avatar
    AP Evolution

AP Inspiration Classic

I'm certainly no expert but i feel that i learnt a lot from just practising the basic skills regularly.

The post above (sorry struggled with your name) was very good - buoyancy stuff is critical, when you're hanging for 2+ hrs deco the last thing you need is to having to concentrate on it all. I have nearly nodded off on deco (whilst knowing my PP at all times - hahah!) where i was so chilled.

During my mod 2 course i had a total suit flood, fortunately i only had about 40 min deco, it was very unpleasant, it's amazing how you take for granted the fact you are neutral balanced in the water normally. When you have water up to your chest when you get out you realise it! It was frikin cold too!

Just practise mate, it doesn't have to be deep!

I've dived quite a lot for the past 2 years on my unit and i still practise and am always learning.

John

RBW Member Toman is an unknown quantity at this point Toman's Avatar

Looks like what I am doing on my Twin Set (Mod-1 in 2 weeks :D). I normally do a different skill at the different "stops" (gas switch at 6m, mask removal at 5, long hose deployment at 4...) during the ascent to practice without expanding the dive time.

Cheers
    Thomas

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by EBT  View Original Post
    Let me try a different approach. The thing an instructor wants to see is someone who has solidly mastered the skills he already expects to see and is open minded/attentive on their course. The thing they DONT want to see is someone who has let their basic skills lapse, which means that they have to be re-taught, eating into time on their new course.

Short answer, practise all the skills that were evaluated on your mod 1/2.... especially the ones involving bail out.

What he said

An whilst poor buoyancy may have been allowed on Mod1 it shouldn't be present on Mod2/3.

Mid water hover and SMB skills

Mid water stage handling skills

Mid water stop holding skills

Mid water 02 drill loop clear dill flush etc. Maintaining body position and trim.

Crack that little lot and then you can really focus on whats being taught in mod 3.

ATB

Mark

+ Reply to Thread