+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Offboard 02 for mCCR

Nailer99 Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith's Avatar
    Megalodon

Offboard 02 for mCCR

I've been debating about how to overcome the depth limitations of the IP on my COPIS. For dives of this depth, my group inevitably has a safety diver, so we don't carry a 3rd bottle of 02 with us for bailout. Otherwise, I'd just plumb in off of that. Anyway, after studying different possibilities, I called my buddy Curt at Silent Scuba- it turns out that Mel and him had just located some 3 cf tanks at deep outdoors, so I ordered one. I rigged it directly to my backplate- as you can see in the link, it's about the size of a wine bottle.
    One nice feature on the Megalodon is the extra port on the exhale counterlung- I just have to plug the LP whip in, and start adding 02 from that side when it stops flowing on the normal side. I have it rigged on the right at the moment, but I'll move it over to the left when I get a shorter whip.

(I tried to post this last night, but no matter how I resized the pic, it kept showing up HUGE on this site, so I asked for the thread to be deleted- I give up, I'm just gonna post a link to the pic)

LINK

RBW Member scubandreams is on a distinguished road scubandreams is on a distinguished road scubandreams's Avatar

Re: Offboard 02 for mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Nailer99  View Original Post
    I've been debating about how to overcome the depth limitations of the IP on my COPIS. For dives of this depth, my group inevitably has a safety diver, so we don't carry a 3rd bottle of 02 with us for bailout. Otherwise, I'd just plumb in off of that. Anyway, after studying different possibilities, I called my buddy Curt at Silent Scuba- it turns out that Mel and him had just located some 3 cf tanks at deep outdoors, so I ordered one. I rigged it directly to my backplate- as you can see in the link, it's about the size of a wine bottle.
    One nice feature on the Megalodon is the extra port on the exhale counterlung- I just have to plug the LP whip in, and start adding 02 from that side when it stops flowing on the normal side. I have it rigged on the right at the moment, but I'll move it over to the left when I get a shorter whip.

(I tried to post this last night, but no matter how I resized the pic, it kept showing up HUGE on this site, so I asked for the thread to be deleted- I give up, I'm just gonna post a link to the pic)

LINK
    A Y-type valve on the O2 bottle with a compensating reg plugged into the manual O2 add sounds alot cleaner/easier.

Nailer99 Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith's Avatar
    Megalodon

Yeah, I looked at the LOLA valves. To me, this seemed a lot cleaner and easier; but that's just my opinion.

For one thing- on the Meg- you would need to plumb from your back right to your front left to hit the extra port on the exhale cl, and, well, in the event of a "boom" scenario, I didn't want to end up fumbling with a Y valve back there.

Quote Originally Posted by scubandreams  View Original Post
    A Y-type valve on the O2 bottle with a compensating reg plugged into the manual O2 add sounds alot cleaner/easier.

RBW Member scubandreams is on a distinguished road scubandreams is on a distinguished road scubandreams's Avatar

Yeah, I looked at the LOLA valves. To me, this seemed a lot cleaner and easier; but that's just my opinion.

For one thing- on the Meg- you would need to plumb from your back right to your front left to hit the extra port on the exhale cl, and, well, in the event of a "boom" scenario, I didn't want to end up fumbling with a Y valve back there.
    Or you could just plug it into the right CL like you do any other day...

rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

I feel that it is nice to have a completely seperate, isolated system to get O2 into the loop as a backup and also for when you drop below your IP depth limitations. The size is very small and does not get in the way at all.

Megalodon

True. But- you'd be unplugging your primary 02 and switching whips at 250'. This way, I just start adding 02 from the left side. Seriously, I've been thinking about the best way *for me* to accomplish this for over a year, now. I like my solution. You think a Y valve is simpler and cleaner? Let's see a picture of it, then.

True. But- you'd be unplugging your primary 02 and switching whips at 250'. This way, I just start adding 02 from the left side. Seriously, I've been thinking about the best way *for me* to accomplish this for over a year, now. I like my solution. You think a Y valve is simpler and cleaner? Let's see a picture of it, then.

????

No; just use the hose you have right now. Replace the valve on the O2 bottle with a Y valve. Remove the manual O2 add hose from non-depth compensated first stage and plug port. Add depth compensated 1st stage to second valve on Y-valve. Add manual add hose to depth compensated 1st stage. Plug in right CL....(as you always did).

No switching; unplugging etc required at depth....ONE bottle, same result; and I can still plug in whatever I want into my left CL (such as deep mix dil)....same amount of valves to manipulate as I would w/2 O2 bottles.

I don't have a picture as I haven't done this yet; but this is my plan on getting past the 250' mark when I feel comfortable enough (which is soon). I am going to have to carry all sorts of bailout; and a DS inflation bottle...so why add to the bottles I must carry...when I don't have to? Like you said your solution is your way to approach the problem; I am just communicating my solution and reasoning why I choose mine.

It is very well possible that my logic is flawed somewhere.....
    Last edited by scubandreams; 18th November 2008 at 21:14.

Megalodon

OH! Duh. I get it now. That's pretty clever, and with all the different possibilities I discussed with different people, that one never came up.

I still really like my new configuration- I don't want to have to fumble around with a Y or LOLA valve during a boom scenario- but that's another neat possibility; thanks.

Dive Deep and Dive Long Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf's Avatar
    rEvo

Josh did you get that tank though Curt? Do the o-rings need to be changed out? if so i have to tools to do it if you need. That reg can be a little fickle about getting apart.
    Last edited by Loanwolf; 19th November 2008 at 03:28.

Supporting Member DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill's Avatar
    HammerHead

Dolphin

why not just get the HH meg head.
    Add the leaky valve in the 4th cell port.

You're done.

Clean, simple and done right.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast