+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Well done Eurotek

Sebastian Chander Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg's Avatar
    Deep Smeg

Megalodon

Re: Well done Eurotek

I'd like to add my thanks as well for a phenomenal weekend.

Leigh, Carl and Roz organised a great event that everyone I spoke to agreed was the best show/conference of the year.

Rick Stanton and Phil Shorts tales of surviving some serious sphincter tightening caving moments were both inspiring and terrifying in generous measure.

After attending all of Dr Simon Mitchells lectures I feel like I've had a crash update in latest decompression theory. A huge thanks to Simon for clearing up a lot of the bull**it over DCS prevention, PFO's, Inner Ear DCS and counter diffusion while keeping us in stitches with his Aussies vs Kiwi's and inter service rivalry gags.

A special mention must be made over his excellent presentation on respiritory physiology at extreme depths and Dave Shaw's last dive. This was a contorversial topic to present on and he pulled it off covering a great scope of information with a diplomatic and honest approach.

It was great to catch up with the tool makers and see what's new and improved in our world. My shopping list has now grown to include a DPV, a Sentinel, MiFLex hoses aswell as a whole bunch of black and shiny toys from Narked at 90.

The Gala dinner was a riot. With all the potential of being a stuffy self-indulgent BS-fest, Leigh et al did a wonderful job of simultaneously praising and roasting the guests, with some great movies put together for the evening. The coolest prizes were given away to raise money for charity with hysterical outcomes when one of the special guests won an encylopedia that had been personally signed by himself, and when a well known and respected instructor trainer won an entry level tech course from another agency.

The sunday morning saw rumours emerging of post gala shenannigans that had a lot of the delegates out until the early hours of the morning. These rumours were seemingly confirmed by the conspicuously large number of absentees from the early hours of the show that day.

All in all the best dive event weekend I've ever been too. I look forward with great enthusiasm to 2010's planned event.

Thanks again to the organisers!

What a weekend!

Seb

RBW Member sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave's Avatar
    Sports Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by Pelagian  View Original Post
    The Gala dinner was a riot. With all the potential of being a stuffy self-indulgent BS-fest, Leigh et al did a wonderful job of simultaneously praising and roasting the guests, with some great movies put together for the evening. The coolest prizes were given away to raise money for charity with hysterical outcomes when one of the special guests won an encylopedia that had been personally signed by himself, and when a well known and respected instructor trainer won an entry level tech course from another agency.
    Coupla similar things happened here at the last Oztek... Well known GUE instructor won a Jetsam DSV (that was on ebay the next day!), the girl from PNG tourism won the holiday to PNG (that was re-drawn), and I won a Divetek Oxygen Analyser, that I had manufactured the previous week... . That was also redrawn, Dr Mike, I hope your still looking after "my" analyser! :D

As for the comments re: the rest of the show, sounds like you all had a hoot. Simon is one of (if not THE) the best public speakers I've ever heard, I've been lucky enough to hear him at 3 oztek's, 3 diveoz up-close nights, and another talk somewhere else, and I still line up to hear him again every chance I get.

Anyone hear Pete Mesley's talk?

CEO OZ TEK Strike is an unknown quantity at this point Strike's Avatar

G'Day, Leigh & Carl,

By the sound of the comments and feed back that I've received thus far, your first EuroTeK has been a resounding success. Congratulations to you both. (My only concern is that now you've raised the benchmark, I'll have to work harder on OZTeK'09!) :)

I'm sorry that I couldn't make this year's event, but I was with you in spirit (and beer!) on the evening of your Gala Dinner. And I look forward to seeing you all again in OZ in March. :)

RBW Member AbyssalPlain is a jewel in the rough AbyssalPlain is a jewel in the rough AbyssalPlain is a jewel in the rough AbyssalPlain is a jewel in the rough AbyssalPlain is a jewel in the rough AbyssalPlain is a jewel in the rough AbyssalPlain is a jewel in the rough AbyssalPlain's Avatar

This sounds great, looking forward to a proper writeup and photos.

Can anyone shed some light on the statement APD's representative read out on behalf of Martin Parker at the dinner? I've heard that he couldn't attend because of being tied-up in the US due to some legal preceedings. Is this true?

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Here to add my Thanks to the organizers, speakers and brands on display, I was only able to attend on Sunday but had an excellent day.

The talks where very good, Dr Simon Mitchells of course...

Was a shame APD where rather handicapped, also spilled over into a couple of other talks because clearly people wanted to ask about it but there was no one to answer.

While waiting for my buddies in another talk I spent some time watching Alex Deas cook up a power supply for a test box he had to run a power brownout test on the Shearwater Pursuit with Brent and John from Narked@90 (it seemed to pass with flying colours from what I could tell) AM was there and keen to try the test on a Inspiration... unsurprisingly noone was keen for Alex and AM to fry their rebreathers! Credit to Narked@90 to allow a public test of their kit, particularly as they weren't entirely sure what would happen!
    Its not often at a trade show for exhibitors and guests to get their tools out and start hacking up exhibits to test them! :D

An excellent event, much more engaging and personal than a typical dive show- well done to everyone involved.

Nick Cunningham-Moorat scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick is a jewel in the rough scunick's Avatar
    rEvo eXpedition

Inspiration Vision, Hammerhead

Quote Originally Posted by sadave  View Original Post
    Simon is one of (if not THE) the best public speakers I've ever heard, and I still line up to hear him again every chance I get.

Anyone hear Pete Mesley's talk?
    My thanks must go to the organisers of the weekend. A few of us dragged together a few pennies and hopped on a 12 hour flight to get to the conference and without exception we all felt it was really worth it.

As always Simon was really, really spectacular in getting some very complex theory into my increadably thick skull.

One of our group did go to Pete's talk and was son impressed he has managed to get the rest of us "almost" ready to part with some more hard earned cash and join Pete in Chuuk Lagoon.

Time to board my flight home..... Once again thanks to the organisers.

Later

Nick

John Routley
    narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90's Avatar

well done to Leigh Carl and Roz, you did a great job.
    we didn't get to see any of the talks which i really wanted to but we were to busy, maybe next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    Here to add my Thanks to the organizers, speakers and brands on display, I was only able to attend on Sunday but had an excellent day.

The talks where very good, Dr Simon Mitchell's of course...

Was a shame APD where rather handicapped, also spilled over into a couple of other talks because clearly people wanted to ask about it but there was no one to answer.

While waiting for my buddies in another talk I spent some time watching Alex Deas cook up a power supply for a test box he had to run a power brownout test on the Shearwater Pursuit with Brent and John from Narked@90 (it seemed to pass with flying colours from what I could tell) AM was there and keen to try the test on a Inspiration... unsurprisingly noone was keen for Alex and AM to fry their rebreathers! Credit to Narked@90 to allow a public test of their kit, particularly as they weren't entirely sure what would happen!
    Its not often at a trade show for exhibitors and guests to get their tools out and start hacking up exhibits to test them! :D

An excellent event, much more engaging and personal than a typical dive show- well done to everyone involved.
    ben and every one else we met is very nice to put faces to the names.

we had no idea what was going to happen with the green box of death Alex had with him, and it did feel like putting your head on the chopping block and giving you lot the Axe, and then shout come one come all, come see the public beheading
    but i don't think we could have done the test in front of any one more critical.
    and to come out the other side with better than flying colours
    not only did we come through the brown out test with more than x100 more Resistance to battery bounce brown outs over a well known unit but when the unit was forced into a power out it reset kept po2 control and gave you warnings that the unit had received a brown out so all worked as designed but even better than we could have hoped and we have ordered one of the machines and will add this test to the other tests we do on every Deep pursuit we sell, and we might test other units to see how they proform

kind regards john routley
    you know...life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    Its about learning to dance in the rain..

Supporting Shearwater Research Products in Europe

Gilberto Bonaga, Italy gibbogeo will become famous soon enough gibbogeo will become famous soon enough gibbogeo will become famous soon enough gibbogeo will become famous soon enough gibbogeo's Avatar
    Kiss with Hammerhead

Draeger Dolphin

It was fantastic!

Many thanks to the organizers, it was really worth the trip to go there.

The lost episode of "deep sea detective" shown at the gala dinner should be published in internet, because was really funny and worth to be seen.

Rick Stanton and Phil Short confirmed that they came from outerspace: they do things in caves that normal humans cannot even immagine (the "most frighteningh episode" of Phil Short make me shivening every time i think of it).

Really interesting were also the presentation of Jablonki and Mckinlay. They openly talked about the RB80, explaining clearly how does it works. And that is a surprise to me, because I always had difficulties to obtain information about this machine in internet or from other users.

Some presentetion were so crowded that they were repeated later, but every presentation was really interesting (i had some problems chosing wich attend)

The equipment on show (and on sale) was more or less the same that was at the dive show 15 days ago, but we had more time to ask and to examine it, with a really relaxed atmosphere.

The only delusion i had depends only from my physiology: the open source computer (OSTC) on show on sunday at the x-scooter boot was really interesting, but my eyes can't read half the numbers on the display, so i will need a version with a bigger display. Or better eyes. Wichever cost less.

A suggestion: as in "Tech Diving 2006" in Sweden, would be appreciate to have available the slide show of the presentation on internet for the delegates for us that are not so familiar with english.

Again really thanks to Carl, Roz and Leigh: they did a tremendous job and the result was perfect.

I wait for the next conference.

I hope also that this kind of conference could be done also in a sunnier place, maybe with a more traditional food (the burger with sultana sauce was a bit strange to me), plenty of wines and with a translation in italian.

ps a curiosity: how many people were registered in total?

Submerge Productions PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver's Avatar

I can only concur with the title of this thread. Eurotek was a hit.

Unfortunatly I had limited time for the presentations as we were doing interviews with key speakers in our "interview studio" located in the main hall. It was great fun and really interesting doing those. We managed 12 interviews which will be released over the coming weeks.

To all the people we've interviewed, many thanks for taking the time to talk to us in front of our cameras. And sorry for the sunburn you got from our video lights :D.

To Roz, Leigh and Carl, a great event!! Well done. We are really looking forward to the next Eurotek.

Phil Siswick, Tango PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick has a reputation beyond repute PhilSiswick's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

APD Inspiration, Evolution

Just want to add my own thanks to Carl, Leigh and Roz. An excellent occasion, very well run and a stunning range of speakers and presentations. I'm really looking forward to 2010 (despite the fact that I'll be 40 then!) for the next one - if it's half as good as this one, it'll be well worth the wait.

Thanks also to the Johns (Routley and Perrin) in particular for chatting to me. Excellent to put faces to names.

Now, to update the dive plan. Need to arrange trips to Malin and the Lebanon

Cheers,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast