+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yet more Display Problems

Pom in Aus louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin will become famous soon enough louisrankin's Avatar
    Meg & GAF

Kiss Classic & Sports Kiss

Yet more Display Problems

I have just turned on my rebreather and two displays were showing -1. So I thought that some moisture must have got into the displays so I dried them out in the airing cupboard for a couple of days. Now one display jumps from -0.16 to -0.20 and the other stays on -0.39 without any 02 cells connected. The ONE working display shows -0.00 when no cell is connected. I have tested the lascar display and they all seem to work ok on the working circuit board I even calibrated them all. When I connect the two faulty displays to a working o2 cell I cannot calibrate them my question is, are the two boards dead and have I got to buy yet more circuit boards? Note these displays are from my classic the ones with A on the back and they have never been flooded. I have learnt from my previous mistakes i.e. over tightning the screws and stripping the threads these are my second set of displays and I treat them like a priceless Ming vase.

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Re: Yet more Display Problems

The KISS list contains a post where it was suggested that ACF50 spray on the boards helps to guard against moisture problems. I sprayed some on a display that very occaisionally gave dancing digits, and it has been stable ever since. Might try this before scrapping your boards.

1 Grumpy ole skipper Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle is just really nice Scuttle's Avatar
    Classic KISS, Sentinel

SCR - CCR Dolphin

I think you maybe right, about moisture getting in. Sounds like a short or bridging going on. Try spraying the boards lightly with a electronics cleaner but If water did get in you can kiss em goodbye.

l MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD's Avatar
    classic, sports Kiss

Azimuth, mccr azi

I had the same problem last week, and cleaned the board with acetone and cotton buds to remove any surface contanimants. Took 3 goes but it came good. Moisture ingress was a very fine spray that only resulted in a few drops in the housing.

Matt

John Routley
    narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90 has a brilliant future narked at 90's Avatar

basicly the same as above clean the boards realy well then spray them a couple of times with a protective insulator
    i dont have the kiss but have used the same lcd's in a couple of projects
    this solved loads of little problems and they with stood two floods!!
    kind regards john routley
    you know...life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    Its about learning to dance in the rain..

Supporting Shearwater Research Products in Europe

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

I have to say, some people do seem to suffer an inordinate ammount of problems. Is it down to the kit, or the way its used?

My old lump has only given me trouble twice now;

- once on the O2 side, due to perishing seals (on the flat bodied steel O2 assembly)
    - Once on the display side after it got manhandled out of a cave, following a zero vis bailout and kit removal.

The first is a known maintenance requirement that I didnt do and the second is my own stupid fault. So thats both my fault then....

Choose Freedom - UKIP Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby's Avatar

Recently bought a KISS Classic and not got it wet yet but I have
    noticed that one of the display wiring runs is developing a kink
    at the kidney plate end.

The outer most wiring sleeve is bending at the barbed connector.
    I am not sure if this is happening because the spiral wrap stops too
    far short or whether it is a common problem.

Some better strain relief on the sleeves might help, like some shrink
    wrap sleeve but it's going to be a pain to fit.

Peter

rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Scubascooby
    Recently bought a KISS Classic and not got it wet yet but I have
    noticed that one of the display wiring runs is developing a kink
    at the kidney plate end.

The outer most wiring sleeve is bending at the barbed connector.
    I am not sure if this is happening because the spiral wrap stops too
    far short or whether it is a common problem.

Some better strain relief on the sleeves might help, like some shrink
    wrap sleeve but it's going to be a pain to fit.

Peter
    Hi Peter- You need to take the spiral wrap off the wires and straighten the 3 lines out so there is no kink at the barb ends and use plastic ties to secure the lines together so they don't move around anymore. Then put the spiral wrap back on starting from the barbed ends moving towards the displays keeping the lines nice and straight. When you get all the way to the displays, then secure the 3 lines together with plastic ties and this should keep them from moving around and kinking.

I had some of the same problems, good luck!!!!!!

Curt

New Member Jim C is an unknown quantity at this point Jim C's Avatar

Note these displays are from my classic the ones with A on the back and they have never been flooded. I have learnt from my previous mistakes i.e. over tightning the screws and stripping the threads these are my second set of displays and I treat them like a priceless Ming vase.

Louis are the baords new or the ones that were in the damaged casing?

Choose Freedom - UKIP Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silentscuba
    Hi Peter- You need to take the spiral wrap off the wires and straighten the 3 lines out so there is no kink at the barb ends and use plastic ties to secure the lines together so they don't move around anymore. Then put the spiral wrap back on starting from the barbed ends moving towards the displays keeping the lines nice and straight. When you get all the way to the displays, then secure the 3 lines together with plastic ties and this should keep them from moving around and kinking.

I had some of the same problems, good luck!!!!!!

Curt
    I should clarify, it's not a twisted-kink but a sharp depresssion in the
    underside of the sleeve. I think that is may have been caused by the
    spiral wrap stopping short of the cannister head and so the outermost wire
    has no support.

Peter

+ Reply to Thread