+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Safe Boat Size and Wave Height

Hammermeg, Copis2, Kiss divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe's Avatar
    Meg 2.7, Hammermeg, copis meg

Kiss Sport, Draeger dolphin

Re: Safe Boat Size and Wave Height

Hey John,
    I agree with both Ted and Andy, we are going diving for enjoyment. The lenght and and beam of the vessel is not necessarily the only safety factor to be looked upon. One of the most important safety feature on a dive boat is the boarding ladder. Is it capable of holding you safely on, in pitching and rolling seas with all the gear you are carrying. Of course this is depending on the type of diving you are planning. I personnally prefer a nice angled christmas tree type ladder with sufficient handholds on the vessel, up here in the northeast US.
    I do not have tremendous experience, but I have been out on many different size boats in many different areas and types of conditions. I believe your question has no definite guideline to size versus sea conditions (wave heights only). I have put my trust with the local shops or resorts where I have traveled and sometimes it was great and some other times it proved to be challenging and hairy at best.
    Just use your own judgement whenever going for a charter on a boat you are not familiar with, check local conditions, look at the vessel you are going to use and make a judgment call. Remember this is supposed to be fun so creature comfort does come into play. If you are going to spend 10 to 12 houres on a vessel look for some comfort and facilities (my own opinion), if you are only going to be out for a few houres and most of that time will be diving such comforts can be non existent. Reentry back on the vessel is a constant and in my eyes need proper attention.

Gabe :)

LEARNING CONTINUALLY rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Classic YBOD

My gauge is if the captain gives you the paying customer a choice say "NO."
    If the Capt. is willing to not make money for the day there is no choice.

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

For Divers It also depends on local conditions. 6 foot plus is questionable in some parts of the world and a normal day out in others.

Also depends on wind / current direction, speed and what's happened on previous days.

for the Boat, its not really relevant as any decent vessel can handle much more than the cut off point for a safe dive

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3