+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Worst Dive Trip Ever!!

RBW Member dvrstev has a spectacular aura about dvrstev has a spectacular aura about dvrstev has a spectacular aura about dvrstev has a spectacular aura about dvrstev has a spectacular aura about dvrstev has a spectacular aura about dvrstev's Avatar

Worst Dive Trip Ever!!

Spear It Charters out of NC

Captain and Dive master running an unsafe operation.

Sequence of events with sea conditions beginning at 3-5.

1) No boat safety / equipment brief. Only statement by the dive master was sit in your seat and don't move around.
    2) 3 hour very rough boat ride to dive site with no head on board. Divers minimized intake of food. 4 of the 6 divers on board got sick. A couple of the divers felt weak from lack of eating since they were concerned that they might have to make a head call with no head.
    3) Captain tried for almost a Ĺ hour to set the anchor but was unable to.
    4) Dive master asked a customer to set the anchor.
    5) Without confirmation of anchor being set, divers were sent over the side.
    6) Direction was given to the divers not to pull on the anchor line during the decent, just loop finger around the anchor line.
    7) Since the dive master didn't set the anchor, we didn't get a dive condition report. Nor was the anchor secured to the bottom.
    8) Used my silent submerge scooter during the dive, found dive currents to be strong
    9) When I arrived at the bottom, I saw the anchor with a couple of divers trying to set it while it was drifting away quickly. My scooter picked up a rock broke the clutch so I stowed it away. Then I saw a wreck reel line drifting by me in the direction the anchor going. So I caught the end of a wreck reel line and pulled myself up to the anchor and headed to the surface with the other 4 divers.
    10) 5 divers made it on board the boat while it was drifting away in the now 5-6 + sea state.
    11) The dive master asked one of the divers if he saw the last diver on the line and he said yes. Dive master did not confirm took the word of the diver.
    12) After ten minutes the captain figured out that the diver should have been on board. Meanwhile we heard screaming.
    13) At a distance we barely saw the diver's safety sausage. I'd say it was a good quarter mile a way.
    14) While the Captain was rushing to drive the boat to get to the drifting diver the dive master was trying to pull the anchor up.
    15) The anchor somehow became stuck on the bottom and the boat spun around the anchor line.
    16) We eventually made it to pick up the diver.
    17) Meanwhile I asked the captain why he chose the type of anchor he did over a different type that would have held better in the sand he got upset with me then the dive master honed in and exaggerated the situation and threatened to kick my butt and he said was serious! Nice, I thought dive masters were there for our safety?
    I didn't do a second dive because I didn't trust the dive master or the captain especially after that statement.
    18) This is the type of dive operation should be closed down because the crew is unsafe and arrogant.
    19) The captain states on his website that he has been a captain for 25 years. Couldn't prove that to me on that day.

Signed Dive Master
    Last edited by Curt Bowen; 14th November 2008 at 12:48.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Re: Worst Dive Trip Ever!!

From the web site it looks like this is a 6 pack charter boat and has no COI from the U.S.C.G. to carry more then 6 people, it puts this boat a diffrent catagory. No Head (WOW). I am really dispointed how the so called capt, ran his boat & crew. I am sorry that you had a bad trip on this vessel, I guess it will be your last time on this boat.

Best re,
    Chett. L

Bubbless Box of Death Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis's Avatar

No head in an offshore dive boat?!

Uh, I think not.

29 footer in 3-5s eh? I'd have bagged it at the inlet.

For the rest, I wasn't there. This I can discern without being there.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

The Captain takes you to the dive site. He doesn't control the weather. You don't like the conditions don't dive. The rest sounds like whaaa whaaa to me.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

The deal is that this Capt. is one of the very few that know where the Meg Shark Teeth are. I've heard of the conditions on that boat and it's one of the reasons I opted out of the Shark Tooth Dives.

The no head thing was a deal breaker for me... along with the size of the boat and lack of creature comforts for a long and often wet boat ride....

I do know lots of people who have made the trip and come back with lot's of big teeth... But Steve, they are much younger & dumber than we are.... I tried to tell you.... :D

Sometimes you get the Bear & sometimes the Bear gets you....

Richie

There are always three sides to a story. Interesting how much effort the OP is putting into trashing someones reputation and living by going to different boards and posting the name with a link to the dive operators site.

As a captain I don't know how many times I have had people insisting on going out in questionable conditions. There are a lot of variables that factor into a trip being doable. One of the biggest are the people that are going out and their experience. 3-5 can be very safe depending on the spread and other conditions, might be bumpy but still safe. Too often a trip is on the edge of cancel or not and people are told the situation. They all push to go out then get pissy when they get what was forcasted for conditions.

A dive master on a six pack is a luxury.

A dive master with more than recreational skills and experience on any boat is a rare thing in deed.

Having an experienced customer set the hook is common, I have done it countless times when on others boats as a customer.

A head on a six pack......

3 hour boat ride of the coast of NC standard stuff and the OP should have checked into that before booking the boat.

Safety equipment. What I don't bring with me I check for myself if I feel it is important to have on the trip.

I was not there but this sure sounds like there is a good bit more to this than what the OP made it out to be. At the very least the OP made some rather questionable decisions and I don't see him taking any personal responsibility. There are a lot of things that happen on boats that frustrate me but that is how it goes when you are paying someone else to provide the ride. Their house so you go with their rules. Most captains that I know will go to great lengths in an attempt to make their customers happy often to the point of getting sand bagged by folks that are never happy no matter what you do for them.

Bobby

Bubbless Box of Death Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis's Avatar

Well see I don't do this for money.

I bagged trips on my Hatteras 45C on days with 3-5s. Yeah, its safe to RIDE in 3-5s on a 45 footer, but it ain't comfortable and for those without serious sea legs the puke quotient is too high. That does not make for a good day on the water. (I've been caught out in 8-10s and THOSE are safe with a knowledgable skipper in a 45 footer, but you're NOT going to like it and nobody in their right mind intentionally goes out into those conditions.)

3-5s in a 30 foot outboard-powered boat is simply MISERABLE, especially on plane. You WILL be bouncing around like crazy and NOBODY is going to have a good time. The hard-core SKA guys can go fish in that crap if they want; I'm not gonna do it. Never mind that reboarding an outboard-powered boat with the engines and PROPS hanging out back there in rough conditions is a LOT more dangerous than reboarding a conventional inboard-powered vessel in equivalent seas.

I'm sorry, if there wasn't money on the line that trip would have been bagged, and it should have been bagged.

A 30 footer without a working head is a disgrace. I have a portapotty on my mid-20-footer - it ain't great but its a place to take a dump while under way. "Us guys" might be happy to whizz over the side (I sure am; it beats having to clean the portapotty!) but for the gals that's not gonna work and if you have to take a #2 now what? Yeah, I know a 5 gallon bucket will work (even if illegal) in a pinch - but c'mon a PortaPotty is under $100.

As for the rest as I said I wasn't there. Ground tackle "hook" failures are NOT always the captain's fault but if you've got inadequate ground tackle for conditions as a captain you should set up a different dive plan (e.g. how about a hot drop up-current from the target and drift ascent under bags?)

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Good dive - bad diveÖ

In my experience I have found that normally the diver is the person who makes a good or bad day of diving. If I have a bad day of diving it is normally my fault, maybe I didnít have my gear just the way I like it, maybe I just felt like crap from drinking the night before, or maybe the dive was a little over my head.

Example: I did a trip on the Aggressor vessel to Coco. Upon returning a diver on the boat posted that the boat sucked, the dives were OK, and he was not happy with the food.

I thought the boat was great (I worked on a commercial fishing boat in my 20s that the head was broken in most of the time), the dives awesome (hundreds of sharks, big animals, and blue water), and no complaints about the food. (I will eat just about anything anyway)

After finding out who the guy was that made the complaint post, I knew exactly why he had a bad trip.

1. He was out of shape
    2. His dive skills sucked
    3. The dives where way over his experience level
    4. He was a vegetarian and complained that he could not get exactly what he wanted to eat.

Many times you have to suck it up and deal with whatever you have available and make the best of it.

PS. I donít think it is politically correct to jump on every public forum in the world and trash some ones business, no matter the conditions.

Chris Ferrar hyrax is an unknown quantity at this point hyrax's Avatar
    Evolution

Well, I hate to hear anyone unhappy with dive trip in NC as the diving is great, when the weather is good. As far as charters go I have 2 suggestions for anyone wanting to dive in NC.

http://www.aquaticsafaris.com/

Olympus Dive Center

While no dive charter is perfect you really can not go wrong with these 2.

Chris

RBW Member Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe's Avatar
    Megaladon

Couldn't agree with you more! If you really want to do the dives you will deal with just about anything. Rough seas, broken or no head all come with the territory, especially if you want to do the unusual stuff.

I worry about life vests, radios, radar, epirbs and navigational equipment for an offshore day trip. I could care less about the amenities like a head. If it gets that bad you could always go over the side.

As a paying passenger I have no problem doing the tie in or setting an anchor. As a matter of fact, I prefer to do it. That way I know it is done right.

Actually, this post was a letter of recommendation. Most of us would much rather be aboard a boat where we are left alone by the captain and crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    Good dive - bad diveÖ

In my experience I have found that normally the diver is the person who makes a good or bad day of diving. If I have a bad day of diving it is normally my fault, maybe I didnít have my gear just the way I like it, maybe I just felt like crap from drinking the night before, or maybe the dive was a little over my head.

Example: I did a trip on the Aggressor vessel to Coco. Upon returning a diver on the boat posted that the boat sucked, the dives were OK, and he was not happy with the food.

I thought the boat was great (I worked on a commercial fishing boat in my 20s that the head was broken in most of the time), the dives awesome (hundreds of sharks, big animals, and blue water), and no complaints about the food. (I will eat just about anything anyway)

After finding out who the guy was that made the complaint post, I knew exactly why he had a bad trip.

1. He was out of shape
    2. His dive skills sucked
    3. The dives where way over his experience level
    4. He was a vegetarian and complained that he could not get exactly what he wanted to eat.

Many times you have to suck it up and deal with whatever you have available and make the best of it.

PS. I donít think it is politically correct to jump on every public forum in the world and trash some ones business, no matter the conditions.