+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DPV and towing divers.

DPV and towing divers.

Aloha all, I am trying to configure my new UV 18, a very nice upgrade from an apollo1.
    1. its positive in salt water. I've read weight in the nose cone (general consensus is 2lbs) solves this. any other input would be appreciated.
    2. What is the best way to tow a second diver?
    If possible, it would be nice if my crotch strap didn't have to absorb all the drag.
    thanks

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

Re: DPV and towing divers.

Quote Originally Posted by onohunter  View Original Post
    If possible, it would be nice if my crotch strap didn't have to absorb all the drag.
    thanks
    Slightly bend you knees and the second diver grabs your thighs or your calves.
    Best
    Philippe

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

I'm not sure its the best way but I run a tow rope from the back of the backplate for them to hold, the load must go through my harness as scooter is pulling scooter ring on waistband/crotch strap interface- however I don't seem to feel it.

I "only" have an Apollo but with my buddy in my slipstream we run at a good speed and it makes moving about big, deep wrecks rather painless.

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Aloha all, I am trying to configure my new UV 18, a very nice upgrade from an apollo1.
    1. its positive in salt water. I've read weight in the nose cone (general consensus is 2lbs) solves this. any other input would be appreciated.
    thanks
    If your side mounting the could grasp the buttplate, that should transfer the force directly to the plate, then to your shoulders\harness.

RBW Member johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv is just really nice johnv's Avatar

thanks
    Put the weight in the correct place to keep the scooter flat in the water., if it sits flat already, weight in the center is probably the place. You can test the location and amount of weight by laying the scooter in calm water and adding the weight to the outside first, then when you have the right weight and position, dry the weight and secure it inside.

as for towing, the cylinder taps on an insp / evo make good improptu handlebars

John

thanks for the suggestions,
    I had an apollo before I upgraded and it seemed eaisier since I was able to absorb some of the other divers weight through my arms and not my um...junk. but I have tried most. the holding legs or calfs feels like I'm going to get cut in half!
    I called SS and they talked me through ballasting the UV18. awesome service!!!
    Has anyone ever hooked a second harness up to the prop guard? that seems the best way to me but will take some trial and err.

Bubbless Box of Death Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis's Avatar

On the UV18 you typically need to put a 2lb weight bag on one of the battery pack rails to get it neutral in salt water. Place it on the rail that helps to balance the torque of the drive being engaged, and tie-wrap it in place when happy with its placement. You want the scooter to be just VERY slightly nose light (VERY SLIGHT!) and just VERY slightly positive at the surface. Tossed in from a boat on a tagline it should just barely float.

When it gets down 100' or so the O-rings will compress a bit and it will be neutral with zero "pitch" below about 100'. With the bag in the right place the scooter should track cleanly with the handle in the "up" position under power without any significant effort - if you're fighting to hold the handle brace vertical (the "grip" horizontal) then the trim weight is on the wrong rail.

(I owned one for quite a while - its an AWESOME machine; I sold it to buy an X scooter only because I dive more often in salt than in the caves, and the X is lighter and easier to handle on a boat. Rodney makes awesome stuff and their service is top-drawer.)

As for towing if I had to I always have the towed diver grab my butt D-ring on my plate and tuck into my slipstream. The plate takes all of his load; you don't even know he's back there, other than the extra drag, and if he stays in the slipstream the drag is fairly small. The towed diver's technique is VERY IMPORTANT if you actually care about speed through the water with someone else on your butt (literally); he must not try to steer or come out of the slipstream or your speed through the water will instantly go to pot.

thanks, thats what the guys at SS said about ballast but more detail. I'll have a chance to play with it this weekend I'll try the Butt d-ring thing.
    Yes, the UV 18 is a beast out of the water. carrying it back to the truck after a deep dive and a hot shower while drinking a beer should prolong my dive career;)

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

thanks, thats what the guys at SS said about ballast but more detail. I'll have a chance to play with it this weekend I'll try the Butt d-ring thing.
    Yes, the UV 18 is a beast out of the water. carrying it back to the truck after a deep dive and a hot shower while drinking a beer should prolong my dive career;)
    Don't forget while chain smoking cigarettes while your at it....

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

I've found the simplest way of towing is just for the second diver to grab the first diver's crotch strap at the back, where it joins the backplate. You want the second diver as streamlined as possible, I've seen a team of divers burn out two scooters towing themselves out of a cave after a failure. Avoiding having to tow a diver was why I chose to buy two small scooters rather than one biggie.

Ballast... I've never taken either of my scooters into the sea (probably never will) so can't help.

Cheers,

Stuart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast