View Poll Results: Have you ever self treated.

Voters
272. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. If I suspect bends strongly enough to do something I seek treatment.

69 25.37%
  • Yes. On at least one occasion I have treated myself.

203 74.63%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Trimix diver self-treatment

CEO-Shearwater
    bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri's Avatar
    rEvo, JJ

Meg,CCR2000,KISS,Inspo,Dolphin

Trimix diver self-treatment

Please help this be a useful survey.

Do not answer unless you are a diver that regularly does trimix decompression dives. (OC or CC)

As the result of many discussions with divers and dive doctors, a thesis is that self-treating is more common in tech divers than in rec divers.

In fact, some have said that rec divers sometimes go to a chamber when they aren't bent, and tech divers often choose not to go to a chamber when they are bent.

Have you ever self-treated?

Have you ever had a niggle/skin bends/visual disturbances/low grade pain/etc, and gone on oxygen/skipped a dive/skipped a day/stopped short of deco on the next dive, because of it.

I don't care whether you mentioned it to your buddies. I would like to know whether you took any action from a self-diagnoses, but didn't get professional help.

By the way, my answer is yes, but it will be anonymous for everyone else.

Bruce
    The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge.
    http://www.shearwater.com

Resident bibliophile Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs's Avatar
    Megalodon

In-water recompression

The whole reason we decided to create our suggested reading list on in-water recompression was my similar observations.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: Trimix diver self-treatment

I have on several occasions used O2 to treat what seemed like mild DCS symptoms. I did have a more "interesting" DCS hit where treatment wasn't readily available that I would have sought treatment if I could have found it.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

I have done it myself on sevaral occations. And from diving agressive profiles since 1996 I have seen many others doing the same thing.

When we got plenty of O2 sitting arround, why not use it.

RBW Member Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim is just really nice Jim's Avatar
    MEG 204

YBOD Classic

Buddies & I have self aministered oxygen, water and aspirin in the past.

After education, most now know this not to be a wise move. A dose of O2 as we all know does not cover all the issues.

I'm sure the hyperbaric boys will be shaking their heads at us lot trying to fix ourselves with surface O2 after taking on gas at some serious depth / pressure.

I wouldn't do it now !!

Jim Spence.

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

I have in the past as well. First time I was in Florida on my cave course in 1997, seven dives in one day ranging between 40-90min and some deco on a lot of them. I was collapsed in the armchair watching TV in the trailer, absolutely wiped out, aching wrist, so went on fluids and O2 (had a deco bottle there). I had DAN insurance but no choice other than self-medicate as I had no phone (no mobile, no phone in trailer) and no car (managed to leave my licence at home 3000miles away, doh!).

After that, I had a minor bend using the early VPM software from Erik Baker. I'd decided to drive myself to the chamber whilst on O2 but after 60min of oxygen it had resolved so continued on home instead. I know a few other people have said the same, bends on the early VPM were very weird, they seemed to resolve easily and no other symptoms than joint pain. My motivation for not going for treatment was pretty simple, I didn't want the hassle for something that had resolved and didn't want to be seen as wasting a publicly funded resource. If I could have charged it to DAN rather than the NHS I would have gone like a shot but unfortunately the UK system doesn't work like that, the public foot the bill for our hobby. I know it sounds daft but there you go, but seeing a hundred piss-heads cluttering up any hospital every Saturday makes you feel a bit more justified in using the service. The next time I got bent I made damn sure I went for treatment. And after the excellent and non-judgemental service that I got from the NWHU at Murrayfield I wouldn't hesitate again.

And they do a lovely breakfast in the recovery rooms in the hospital!

Cheers,

Stuart

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Once or twice i have gone back down to resolve a niggle but I didn't get out of the water (or make the surface) I was just ascending and didn't feel right so have gone back for another 10mins on 02 at 6m.

Loads of times I have sat on the boat sucking 02 after a dive that didn't end to my liking.

On a livaboard trip with a weeks 60-80m diving I jumped in with a niggle from the previous days dive and ran hot PP02 and extended deco for the dive to try and fix it. It didn't hurt after the dive so I assume it worked.

And once I drove down the M23 M25 sucking 02 all the way home :D

Mainly my 44 year old buggered body just hurts after a big or difficult dive / boat trip/ equipment loading session. So I tend to go on 02 and hydrate as a first response. If i didn't id have a season ticket for the local chamber with all the aches and pains i have suffered after a dive.

I suffered numbness on my face once and went straight to the chamber. Turned out to be carbon monoxide poisoning but id done a 50m dive on the Sat (four days before) so i hit the pot just in case.

Visual disturbance, loss of balance or numbness, I wont take a chance. Aches and pains its on to 02.

ATB

Mark

Sebastian Chander Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg's Avatar
    Deep Smeg

Megalodon

I had what i thought were mild niggles in my hands after my deepest longest dive.

I had a heavy and dead sensation in both hands and mild joint pain in 3 fingers and a thumb.

I went on surface oxygen to correct the problem and then just ignored it till it went away. This took over 12 months and has left me with residual clicking and pain in my fingers when repeating certain movements, like lifting cylinders.

It was something I should have definetly got definitive treatment for.

Seb

No its always that colour the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler's Avatar

I got itchy and numbness in my left shoulder, it took about three days to get better. Now and again on the back of my hands I just suck the O2 when i get home, thought it was from hanging on the deco station for more than an hour not moving just thinking of the dive.:)

Helium Addict O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver is a glorious beacon of light O.C.Diver's Avatar

Niggles are an unfortunate reality of technical diving and running a charter boat. Probably once a year I over do it (pull up an anchor, gear lines, lift a DPV out of the water) to soon after a dive, and have to hit the O2. I would probably guess I have 1 most 2 customers on O2 for niggles every year.

Ted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast