+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Voice / Video recordings

EXPLORER Leigh Bishop is an unknown quantity at this point Leigh Bishop's Avatar

Voice / Video recordings

EuroTek.08 speakers/ recordings

Thanks to all those who have emailed me direct on this subject and I understand that if you live far away you would like to hear some of the great presentations that are on offer at EuroTek. www.eurotek.uk.com

We cannot allow video or voice recordings at any of our presentations at the EuroTek.08 Tek dive show. The organizing committee has decided on this as a request from some of our speakers as content that will be released in some presentations may be controversial and thus could be used by third parties against companies / equipment / speakers and even manufacturers. Technical diving can be an inherently dangerous pastime and unfortunately there are individuals in the world we currently live in who are hell bent on destroying people’s lively hoods and success in the industry.

It is not our intent to start an online conference but instead run a traditional conference for European divers who can all meet under one roof and be privileged to see some of the leading advanced divers in the world speak, rub shoulders with known divers and see the latest Tek diving gear. EuroTek is based on the fabulous Oztek show in Sydney and we are sorry if someone else has not organized an event as such in other parts of the world.

We will talk to Curt Bowen about possibilitys and see how we could run things.

EuroTek is about education in advanced diving as well as one single place in the northern hemisphere where advanced and technical divers can all meet under one roof.

We have a list of absolute quality speakers who we simply could not get into the schedule that wanted to speak. With this in mine if Eurotek.08 is attended well and becomes a success then the future looks bright for European Advanced/Tek divers.

www.eurotek.uk.com

Thanks

Leigh Bishop
    www.eurotek.uk.com
    www.tekconference.co.uk
    Leigh Bishop
    co organiser EuroTek Tek diving show
    www.eurotek.uk.com & www.eurotekpodcasts.com
    Shipwreck Exploration
    www.deepimage.co.uk

RBW Member Guilhem has a spectacular aura about Guilhem has a spectacular aura about Guilhem has a spectacular aura about Guilhem has a spectacular aura about Guilhem has a spectacular aura about Guilhem has a spectacular aura about Guilhem's Avatar

Re: Voice / Video recordings

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Bishop  View Original Post

We cannot allow video or voice recordings at any of our presentations at the EuroTek.08 Tek dive show. The organizing committee has decided on this as a request from some of our speakers as content that will be released in some presentations may be controversial and thus could be used by third parties against companies / equipment / speakers and even manufacturers.
    And how about those speakers who haven't raised such concerns ? Or, how about taping the show, then handing out each tape to each speaker so they get an opportunity to edit out some pieces ?

EXPLORER Leigh Bishop is an unknown quantity at this point Leigh Bishop's Avatar

Guilhem
    Interesting comment thanks and I can fully understand that some people would love to get to such an event but live so far away. I was the same until I flew from the UK to Sydney for the Oztek conference. I know now I would not miss one of those for the world there so neat.

These are my thoughts:
    Having speakers talks available to download would surely be the slow route to the destruction of these dive conferences. Who would want to turn up at a conference such as Oztek or EuroTek or the GUE conference if there was no one there they would want to listen to because they had heard them on line.

The old Aquacorp’s conferences were great and had a good atmosphere where you could talk to leading divers or manufactures face to face, Oztek is no different and has something special about it. We are expecting EuroTek with its excellent line up of speakers to be no different. Conferences of this nature also have a social aspect about them as well as an educational angle.

The music industry has its problems with people’s ability to download material free and not going out to support the originators, let’s not use the internet to destroy every aspect of our entertainment, including technical diving.
    Leigh Bishop
    co organiser EuroTek Tek diving show
    www.eurotek.uk.com & www.eurotekpodcasts.com
    Shipwreck Exploration
    www.deepimage.co.uk

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Maybe Curt could pursue having the speakers available online with RBW sometime after the conference to expand upon their topic and answer questions from both those that attended and those that could not. Like he is currently setting up with some other noted experts. From what I have seen a brief write-up posted prior to the week long session starting should allow people to formulate questions and allow the speakers to keep the written subject matter under their control.

I recently viewed the DAN Tech diving conference DVD (free to all DAN members) which appears unedited and it was very educational. Maybe there is a way to balance the learning experience for all while maintaining the concerns for the financial stability of the conference.

John
    Last edited by jkaterenchuk; 1st November 2008 at 02:52.

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Leigh

My father told me that there is always more than one way to skin a cat. So there must be something we could do to help increase the attendance of future conferences, but also gather materials for those around the world who could not attend.

I myself would always prefer to be there in person, but would also enjoy having a copy of the speakers on video, tape, or text as a reference for later.

As a magazine owner I more than understand giving to much out for free, which doesn’t pay my printing bills.

At the old Aquacorp Tech conference they sold the tapes to raise funds, but that was before this digital age.

The answer probably lies someplace in making enough funds on booths, attendees, and other functions so that the audio sessions really don’t matter that much anymore. Or placing your tech conference back to back with another conference, like Aquacorps did with DEMA and the Commercial diving conference.

I know that this is your first year for Eurotech and I am sure funds are very tight. Maybe with some additional promotions in the future will bring in more revenue.

Maybe something as simple as placing a price for the rights to the videos might work also? Depending on the price, someone might be able to come up with the funds? You could put a 2-3 month release on the tapes so its not hot off the presses so to speak.

Curt

Guilhem
    Interesting comment thanks and I can fully understand that some people would love to get to such an event but live so far away. I was the same until I flew from the UK to Sydney for the Oztek conference. I know now I would not miss one of those for the world there so neat.

These are my thoughts:
    Having speakers talks available to download would surely be the slow route to the destruction of these dive conferences. Who would want to turn up at a conference such as Oztek or EuroTek or the GUE conference if there was no one there they would want to listen to because they had heard them on line.

The old Aquacorp’s conferences were great and had a good atmosphere where you could talk to leading divers or manufactures face to face, Oztek is no different and has something special about it. We are expecting EuroTek with its excellent line up of speakers to be no different. Conferences of this nature also have a social aspect about them as well as an educational angle.

The music industry has its problems with people’s ability to download material free and not going out to support the originators, let’s not use the internet to destroy every aspect of our entertainment, including technical diving.

Banned Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn's Avatar
    Apoc

Drager

Publishing the presentations online seemed to work pretty well for DAN when they did their tech conference DAN Divers Alert Network , if you want to make money off the enterprise sell the DVD's for a fair price, .mp4 format works great for iPods, something to listen to on deco.

Noting that it is new (or usually is new) information given at each tech diving conference it will provide a means to disseminate the information accurately, in a means that can be used as a ongoing education reference.

I know I for one would reattend tech conferences to listen to experts talk about something they are passionate about, even if I had heard them speak via download, just look at the presentations Simon Mitchell gives @ OzTek each year (DAN one linked above), they are so good he gives the presentations multiple times and you have to get in early to get a seat as they are always standing room only.

Regards
    Brad

RBW Member Guilhem has a spectacular aura about Guilhem has a spectacular aura about Guilhem has a spectacular aura about Guilhem has a spectacular aura about Guilhem has a spectacular aura about Guilhem has a spectacular aura about Guilhem's Avatar

Yep, I get the point about the cost, and I'd be ready to pay for a DVD with the videos: this will always be cheaper than a flight (with at least 2 connections...) to the conference, a couple of hotel nights and the like.