+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CCR Mod 1 worth my while?

RBW Member Aerozine50 is an unknown quantity at this point Aerozine50's Avatar
    Inspo Classique

CCR Mod 1 worth my while?

Hellooo RBW members!

Yeah its my first time at the microphone since having a look in some time last year.

What I'm looking at doing is the CCR Mod 1 for the inspiration, but not for the usual purposes. I.e. I'm not trimix and may or may not consider it in the future.

the reason for wanting to dive rebreather for me is:

I'm slightly asthmatic - I have a Uk dive medical which i pass no problem and undertake hard cardio exercise 3 times a week. Even with this, I get fed up with often being out of gas the first on normal cylinders and limiting others dives. So to solve the air pig question if I get a RB then problem sorted....... Kind of.

I also have tried an inspiration and do like them a lot, silence is golden, no spooked fishes etc. There is something about the technical challenge with which I wish to take forward.

Now with regards to the cons of ownership, can someone let me know of the typical running costs of an inspo, per year? Dollars or pound please........

I currently run a set of twin 12's to compensate for the asthma, but sooner or later on in life my back will probably strain under the weight.

Anybody hazard a yay or nay?

Kind regards

Paul B

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Re: CCR Mod 1 worth my while?

Running costs for the Inspo are about £180 a year for cell's.

If you intend on getting it serviced every year then thats probably another couple of hundred and then theres 02 clean on tanks and first stages.

If cost is an issue consider a KISS. Its fully DIY and your just looking at cells and 0 rings annually + 02 clean and reg servicing.

So more expensive than twin 12s but a fraction of the cost of the eight twin sets I used to need to do a years mix diving.

Dive cost is about £12 for three ish hours diving on air dil and about £15 on mix. So a slim saving on nitrox but a massive saving on trimix.

ATB

Mark

Bad knees, matching brain Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

RB80, Sentinel

Please do keep in mind that you will be (hopefully) carrying the amount of OC gas with you that would be required to exit from the deepest/farthest from the surface point of the dive, so unfortunately the air porcine-ness is not something that can ever be fully evaded. Ask me how I know :D

RBW Member toe will become famous soon enough toe will become famous soon enough toe will become famous soon enough toe will become famous soon enough toe's Avatar
    rEvo 111 hybrid

Vision Inspo,Evo+, classic

[quote=Aerozine50;219029]Hellooo RBW members!

Yeah its my first time at the microphone since having a look in some time last year.

What I'm looking at doing is the CCR Mod 1 for the inspiration, but not for the usual purposes. I.e. I'm not trimix and may or may not consider it in the future.

the reason for wanting to dive rebreather for me is:

I'm slightly asthmatic - I have a Uk dive medical which i pass no problem and undertake hard cardio exercise 3 times a week. Even with this, I get fed up with often being out of gas the first on normal cylinders and limiting others dives. So to solve the air pig question if I get a RB then problem sorted....... Kind of.

I also have tried an inspiration and do like them a lot, silence is golden, no spooked fishes etc. There is something about the technical challenge with which I wish to take forward.

Now with regards to the cons of ownership, can someone let me know of the typical running costs of an inspo, per year? Dollars or pound please........

I currently run a set of twin 12's to compensate for the asthma, but sooner or later on in life my back will probably strain under the weight.

Anybody hazard a yay or nay?

Kind regard

Dont think risk and rewards are worth while unless you are considering trimix diving. And you will also want to consider if your condition will lend itself to deep diving and lond duration diving. So have a good think and look at all the units out there. Are any off your buddies diving ccr?

You buy your rebreather and just keep on spending.

Look at all the advise and do your home work, your the one that must decide.

Safe diving
    Tony

RBW Member Aerozine50 is an unknown quantity at this point Aerozine50's Avatar
    Inspo Classique

Hi Tony

Yes I do keep myself fit for the purposes of going diving.

I generally do dives in the 30 metres range and occassionally go deeper. I have one buddy who does a lot of CCR trimix, so at present my OC kit is rigged to support such situations and consequently is a bit overboard by normal club diving standards.

What about manual CCR by comparison (throwing this open to the floor). By how much greater is the typical task loading for MCCR on any given dive than ECCR?

regards

Paul B

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Aerozine50  View Original Post
    Hi Tony

Yes I do keep myself fit for the purposes of going diving.

I generally do dives in the 30 metres range and occassionally go deeper. I have one buddy who does a lot of CCR trimix, so at present my OC kit is rigged to support such situations and consequently is a bit overboard by normal club diving standards.

What about manual CCR by comparison (throwing this open to the floor). By how much greater is the typical task loading for MCCR on any given dive than ECCR?

regards

Paul B

It should be the same task load diving a manual as it is diving a ECCR. Aside from pressing a button that is.

Its not quite like that but it should be.

For 30m diving id look at units like the Sport KISS. Its light weight and cheep. Also the new Apocalypse is very well priced and sounds ideal for a new CCR diver. The Poseidon my also be worth a look

Diving nitrox on a CCR it will take for ever to pay for its self but it is a very convenient way to dive.

ATB

Mark

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Another thought re CCR in general: Would make normoxic trimix affordable in mid ranges where would be too $$$ if used for OC. The He in the mix would make for a less dense breathing gas with depth, easing WOB for someone with slightly compromised breathing.

Ken

+ Reply to Thread