+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Knee op.

Custom Title Allowed! Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef's Avatar

Knee op.

I've got to have some keyhole surgery to whip out some cartlidge from my knee. At the moment I'm on the waiting list to go on the waiting list.

How long is the recovery period likely to be? I'll see the quack, or possibly Dr Clamp before I hit the water but a rough idea would be nice.

Ta in advance.

RBW Member Dive!Dive! is on a distinguished road Dive!Dive! is on a distinguished road Dive!Dive!'s Avatar

Re: Knee op.

Quote Originally Posted by Freef  View Original Post
    I've got to have some keyhole surgery to whip out some cartlidge from my knee. At the moment I'm on the waiting list to go on the waiting list.

How long is the recovery period likely to be? I'll see the quack, or possibly Dr Clamp before I hit the water but a rough idea would be nice.

Ta in advance.
    I had mine done 14/11/2005. Dived Chesil Cove on Boxing Day.....
    So - about 6 weeks ? Depends on how stable your knee is I guess. Definately ask your Doc before getting in..
    Steve

Roland Somodi rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver's Avatar
    Homebuilt(s)

Inspiration Classic

I have had 4 surgeries in the past, 2 on each knee. The last two was for a same reason to remove broken cartilage pieces. My 3rd knee surgery (2nd on right knee) was done by a doctor I would never recommend to anyone, not even to my enemies. I had the drain tube with Aladin's lamp on the end hanging out of my knee for 3 days, and recovery took 6 months even though it was done with an arthroscope. For 2 months I was limping around, and took full 6 months to squat all the way down. I rode a bicycle every day and went to swim in the morning and evening (roughly 7km/day). My last surgery was way different. 10 minutes after I woke up I was walking around in the hospital, and next morning I came home with a bus and a slightly big back pack. Roughly 2 weeks later I was able to run as fast as Ben Johnson and went diving happily. I would say it mainly depends on the amount of pain you had after the operation. I did ask my doctor who done the last one about how soon I can go back to water/diving and he said that as soon as I can walk around with no pain with my air tank on my back :)

I hope it helped.

VR

Roland

RBW Member Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn's Avatar

I have had 2 Laperscopic (key hole) surgeries and both of the recovery periods were very different...

The first time I was only down for about 4 days before I could hobble around and about a month before I was feeling pretty good.

The second surgery was a rough recovery...I was down for a solid 3 weeks of pure pain and agony. I don't know why it hurt so much but I ended up back on my feet about a week after the pain went away. Even though there was more pain I think that I had my mobility back much faster.

Both surgeries were on the same knee so this could be why I had so much pain during the second recovery.

good luck and I hope this helps.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

I had same type surgery done on left knee about 15 years ago. Big factor in recovery is how disciplined you are with physical therapy. I was back in the water in 5 to 6 weeks IIRC.

RBW Member Nalu is an unknown quantity at this point Nalu's Avatar

I tell patients that recovery from a straightforward knee arthroscopy is 4-6 until you're back to running and playing sports. In reality the range is 3 days to never, largely depending on what the individual expects of his knee, what is actually done, abilities and technique of the surgeon, how strictly the patient follows post-op instructions and performs his rehab, etc.

I had a knee arthroscopy with debridement of a meniscus tear done at the end of Jan '06. Additional cartilage damage was found at the time of the operation which was not amenable to surgical management. Despite this, I was back on the rugby pitch practicing in 6 weeks and playing in 8, YMMV.

+ Reply to Thread