+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trip Report: Beyond the Reaper

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Trip Report: Beyond the Reaper

Let's see now, how did this all go about? I was granted a temporary pardon from work on Friday and headed up to cave country for some diving.

I stayed in the bunkhouse at Dive Outpost and did my diving in close proximity to there.

I arrived at about noon and was almost immediately paired up with a dive buddy. His name was Tyler and was a great guy. He was OC and only basic cave trained. He was limit4ed to 1/6's of his gas supply, but this was just fine by me. I wanted a nice easy, slow careful dive to get reaquainted with cave diving. This was my first time back in the caves since my training in July.

We headed over to Peacock I and geared up for the dive. We briefed each other on the main points of our different rigs and did all the necessary predive checks. We got in the water and did bubble checks and light checks before submerging. I asked Tyler to run the line and lead, since I had my camera and wanted to take some pictures. We headed up the Peanut Tunnel until Tyler turned the dive. 50min run time and an average depth of 27' max depth of 53'. I got a few decent pics during this dive. They are here:
    PICTURES

We left the reel in place because Tyler was going to recalculate his gas and then we would do a second dive. On the surface in the basin, I noticed a slight sound (like a small leak) Tyler looked over my rig to find that the Dil regulator had developed a very slight leak. We decided to abort any second dive. We did make a quick trip to get the reel though. Tylers primary light failed to turn on for this little bounce and he used his backup light.

When we returned to Dive Outpost, I meet a real nut case named Tony (Tflaris) who dives a Meg (I know, such a disgrace). We set in motion the plans for doing some dives on Sat and Sun.

That night Kathy prepared a little dinner for the group and we ate by the campfire. It was a very nice a relaxing time. My hat goes off to Kathy for all of her efforts.

Sat morning we headed to Peacock again. This time we went up the other tunnel (don't remeber the name). We made it about 200 feet past Olsen Sink when we turned the dive. On the way out we surfaced at Olsen and BS'ed for a moment and then commenced our exit. 107min runtime and an average depth of 43' max depth of 64'. No pictures since I broke my strobe cable on this dive.

We got something to eat and checked over our rigs for the next dive and away we went - to Little River. This dive was a lot more work. The flow was kickin my butt. I signaled to halt while I caught my breathe. After that it was a LOT of pull and glide to get through the cave. The further we went, the worse the vis got (NO, it wasn't because of me) When we got to the florida room the vis was only about 10' and we thumbed it.

That night it was another evening around the campfire. I could really get used to this kind of living.

Sunday was here and I knew that I had to return to S. Florida today (big bummer). Howard (ScubaDadMiami) had called me the previous day and we had made arrangements to meet and jump in a cave together. Howard met Tony and myself at Dive Outpost and we headed to Peacock for my last dive of the trip. With me being the least experienced, Tony led I was #2 and Howard brought up the rear. I do not have a clue as to where we went but the vis was starting to get pretty bad when we turned the dive. 129min runtime average depth of 47' max depth was 64'.

Many thanks to Tony (tflaris) for being such a good dive buddy during the weekend. Not to mention a pretty good tour guide of the caves.

The drive home was verrrry long. I am still dreaming about the darkness and want to return soon. I have already booked my bunk for Thanksgiving weekend.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Re: Trip Report: Beyond the Reaper

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    The drive home was verrrry long. I am still dreaming about the darkness and want to return soon. I have already booked my bunk for Thanksgiving weekend.
    Hmmm, I might be up for that...

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

sounds good, Don. Scubadadmiami (Howard) and i had a wonderful dive at Madison Blue Spring on wednesday. about a 2hr and 15 min runtime, light to moderate flow and very good vis. i looked in my logbook, it had been 20 years to the month that i last dove Madison. things sure have changed there since then. there were no facilities of any kind, no steps, benches, etc. It
    was not a state park. Of course we were open circuit air, dbl 104's and dbl staged. i will take the RB anytime over that. look forward to going back. hope to join up with some other SCRUBS in the near future for some of that "you got to be crazy to go in them caves" diving

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

I forgot that I did get some topside pics.

PEACOCK

LITTLE RIVER
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

Howard,

Is that a TDI tshirt?

Sounds like you guys had a great time! Thanks for the report!

Is the water table down at Little River?

rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by mempilot  View Original Post
    Howard,

Is that a TDI tshirt?

Sounds like you guys had a great time! Thanks for the report!

Is the water table down at Little River?

Yep, it was a blast. The water table was about the same as when I did my classes in June. I assume it is normal, but I don't know

A Prismer in Megland Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear's Avatar

I was at Little River last Weds and the Vis was fine though another diver (with benefit of scooter) said that it was Tannic and crappy up by the well. Maybe that crud is moving down the system?

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mempilot  View Original Post
    Howard,

Is that a TDI tshirt?
    It sometimes seems that I collect tee shirts and c-cards. :D

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDadMiami  View Original Post
    It sometimes seems that I collect tee shirts and c-cards. :D
    Don't worry, I'm sure you have some funky Hawaiian shirts to cover them up with...

RBW Member tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris will become famous soon enough tflaris's Avatar
    Evolution, Side-mount Meg

Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Let's see now, how did this all go about? I was granted a temporary pardon from work on Friday and headed up to cave country for some diving.

I stayed in the bunkhouse at Dive Outpost and did my diving in close proximity to there.

I arrived at about noon and was almost immediately paired up with a dive buddy. His name was Tyler and was a great guy. He was OC and only basic cave trained. He was limit4ed to 1/6's of his gas supply, but this was just fine by me. I wanted a nice easy, slow careful dive to get reaquainted with cave diving. This was my first time back in the caves since my training in July.

We headed over to Peacock I and geared up for the dive. We briefed each other on the main points of our different rigs and did all the necessary predive checks. We got in the water and did bubble checks and light checks before submerging. I asked Tyler to run the line and lead, since I had my camera and wanted to take some pictures. We headed up the Peanut Tunnel until Tyler turned the dive. 50min run time and an average depth of 27' max depth of 53'. I got a few decent pics during this dive. They are here:
    PICTURES

We left the reel in place because Tyler was going to recalculate his gas and then we would do a second dive. On the surface in the basin, I noticed a slight sound (like a small leak) Tyler looked over my rig to find that the Dil regulator had developed a very slight leak. We decided to abort any second dive. We did make a quick trip to get the reel though. Tylers primary light failed to turn on for this little bounce and he used his backup light.

When we returned to Dive Outpost, I meet a real nut case named Tony (Tflaris) who dives a Meg (I know, such a disgrace). We set in motion the plans for doing some dives on Sat and Sun.

That night Kathy prepared a little dinner for the group and we ate by the campfire. It was a very nice a relaxing time. My hat goes off to Kathy for all of her efforts.

Sat morning we headed to Peacock again. This time we went up the other tunnel (don't remeber the name). We made it about 200 feet past Olsen Sink when we turned the dive. On the way out we surfaced at Olsen and BS'ed for a moment and then commenced our exit. 107min runtime and an average depth of 43' max depth of 64'. No pictures since I broke my strobe cable on this dive.

We got something to eat and checked over our rigs for the next dive and away we went - to Little River. This dive was a lot more work. The flow was kickin my butt. I signaled to halt while I caught my breathe. After that it was a LOT of pull and glide to get through the cave. The further we went, the worse the vis got (NO, it wasn't because of me) When we got to the florida room the vis was only about 10' and we thumbed it.

That night it was another evening around the campfire. I could really get used to this kind of living.

Sunday was here and I knew that I had to return to S. Florida today (big bummer). Howard (ScubaDadMiami) had called me the previous day and we had made arrangements to meet and jump in a cave together. Howard met Tony and myself at Dive Outpost and we headed to Peacock for my last dive of the trip. With me being the least experienced, Tony led I was #2 and Howard brought up the rear. I do not have a clue as to where we went but the vis was starting to get pretty bad when we turned the dive. 129min runtime average depth of 47' max depth was 64'.

Many thanks to Tony (tflaris) for being such a good dive buddy during the weekend. Not to mention a pretty good tour guide of the caves.

Sunday we went up the Cisteen line and turned right before the first Wishbone jump arrows.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast