+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Whats the trick to sidemounting right side bailout...

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Whats the trick to sidemounting right side bailout...

So, I have a few AL40's and AL80's from my OC days, and getting my rich\right side bailout to ride correctly and not fall out has been a real chore...

As it is, I end up undoing the bungee clip and thread it under the valve/reg. Not very efficient to don/doff anytime...., on the left its a simple flick of the wrist.... Am I just going to have to bite the bullet and get left hand side valves so the bungee can seat behind the knob and reg?

RBW Member keylargojimy has a little shameless behaviour in the past keylargojimy's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD

HH INSPIRATION

Re: Whats the trick to sidemounting right side bailout...

Tim

Are You Talking About 'hello Kitty' Alum 40's & 80's Bailout Bottles Here?

Sorry Had To Ask That Question?

I Have The Same Expereince Here On Bailout Bottles Being Bungeed.

Good Question Here!!

Jim

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

yeah yeah yeah... thats it....

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Im in the same boat as you. While doing a hot drop with a scooter on the Ande wreck in strong current, I had my rich mix pop loose. I pinned it between my knees until I hit the deck, and re-fastened it.

The problem is sidemounting was designed for heaver steel cylinders, not the lighter AL ones. I have seen some strap 1 or 2 lb weights to the cylinders so they orient properly. I'm not to keen on using extra weight if I don't have to.

I tried short bungee, long bungee - it pops out every time. I think the problem also is in the valve orientation - Adrian seems to have it work fine. I might just try left and right modular valves myself.

After a lot of discussion with swadiver, Dsix, and the midget dragon, - I decided to try bolt snaps fastened to the neck, and try a hybrid kind of thing. Next time I see you - I'll show you what I have in mind.

RBW Member pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476's Avatar
    Meg

I had some problems with that as well, using AL tanks.

I had to designate a left and right side 40 and 80. So I have one each for each side. I then rotated the bottom clip for each tank so that when I clip into the butt plate and go through my bungee, the tank valve handle points straight out in front of me. It's easy to see that you can't rig a tank universally to do that on either side. In my case that required left or right side designation, then aligning the bottom clip appropriately.

With the Thermo/XS valves, the bend at the handle requires that you either under rotate the bottom clip (left side) or over rotate the bottom clip (left side.) The same, but opposite, bottom clip offset won't work properly.

Lastly, I have the Thermo valve handles on all bottles and they're the longest that I've found, making them the most secure.

Paul

Paul, any pictures?

RBW Member pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476's Avatar
    Meg

I don't have any already taken, but I can take a couple and send them to you if you'd like.

I have school tonight and may have baby duty after that, but I'll try to get them taken late tonight and send them over.

Paul

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Tim,

On Jill's website, she recommends positioning the bottom clip 180 degrees away from the valve knob, that way the valve knob sticks straight out away from the diver and the bungee can simply be wrapped around it and hold it in place - That didn't work for me, because the tanks we use rotate and slip away from the bungee, especially when they are filled with mix.

I tend to now position each valve differently, depending on which side I'm using it on. However, regardless of the side, I position the bottom clip at approximately 135 Degrees angle, so the valve knob is pointing slightly in closer to my body when I mount it.

That's the best angle I've found, but the truth is, they still fall out from time to time, depending on the size of the bottle and the gas within it. So I still adjust them at a 135 Degree angle, but I still often just run the bungee under the valve and the hoses, then clip it to the large Golem Gear Side D-Ring that sticks out to the side from under the counter lung.

But then again, those pink decorated bailout/stage bottles you use may lie a bit differently than the normal manly cylinders most tech divers chose to use!

Adrian

After a lot of struggle with OC stage or travel cylinders and bail out for CCR I have come up with a system that works for any situation and mounting on either side.

Similar to Jill's set up I mount the clips opposing the valve handle. This way when using for OC stages the handles point straight down and can be reached with either hand. All of my cylinders have the neck and tail clip to mount in the classic stage configuration.

The tail clip is positioned at the center of the cylinder instead of towards the tail end. This moves the cylinder farther back with conventional set up and perfect positioning for side mounted bail out. The tail clip has 1.5 inches of rope before it runs under the hose clamp holding it in place. This has two uses.

One, is for multiple cylinders it allows the cylinders to drape over each other smoothly rather than getting bunched up together under the arms.

Second, is that when I use the cylinder side mount I pull the clip under the line running up from the hose clamp back up to the valve of the cylinder. This causes the valve to rotate to the side pointing straight out from my body when side mounted. It also locks the cylinder down so it will not float around which is important with the more buoyant AL cylinders.

The last change is how I connect the bungee for side mounting. I have attached a bolt snap to the looped bungee and thread it around the neck of the cylinder theb clip it back on to itself. Simple flick of the hand has it connected or disconnected. I have also changed my side mount rig to this type of set up because I found it so much easier than a straight looped bungee or the bungee coming up to chest D-ring. I have never liked how the cylinder lay with the single bungee coming up to the chest D-ring with either AL or steel cylinders.

I really suck at this internet thingy and have never been able to load pictures. I always get a file too large statement. If anyone is interested in seeing the set up pm me an email address and I will take some photo's. Or better yet if anyone is interested in making the files work they could post them as well.

Bobby

RBW Member Toman is an unknown quantity at this point Toman's Avatar

Hi,

There was an interesting thread on this topic a few months ago:

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=17656

Might help

Cheers
    Thomas

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast