Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dolphin Limiting Factors

Question Dolphin Limiting Factors

Drager Dolphin

0 to 17 msw 125 min with 60% O2 and 40% N2
    • 0 to 22 msw 95 min with 50% O2 and 50% N2
    • 0 to 30 msw 67 min with 40% O2 and 60% N2
    • 0 to 40 msw 47 min with 32% O2 and 68% N2

What is limiting the bottom time for these times? Is it the scrubber or the tank size?

If it is the tank size and I put a bigger tank on it what is the biggest size i could put on?

What is the scrubber duration?

for a world of water OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity's Avatar
    homebuild/custom

Re: Dolphin Limiting Factors

the Dolphin has a decent scrubber. It is tested at about 3 hrs/40msw. Those #'s look like gas duration. more gas, more duration...pretty simple.

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

Is this a test? Ok, I'll bite:

It looks like the times are the estimates for emptying a 4 liter cylinder.

Depending on your location, Drager made 5 liter cylinders but they are not available in the USA. I have used a Worthington 40 cf (apx 5.9 liters) cylinder and have heard of people using Aluminum 50s (apx 6.9 liters).

The short answer for the scrubber duration is 3 hours.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by WartedEmperor  View Original Post
    Drager Dolphin

0 to 17 msw 125 min with 60% O2 and 40% N2
    • 0 to 22 msw 95 min with 50% O2 and 50% N2
    • 0 to 30 msw 67 min with 40% O2 and 60% N2
    • 0 to 40 msw 47 min with 32% O2 and 68% N2

What is limiting the bottom time for these times? Is it the scrubber or the tank size?

If it is the tank size and I put a bigger tank on it what is the biggest size i could put on?

What is the scrubber duration?

Now showing as "Dean Coote" Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver's Avatar

you can buy a simple connector for the first stage and put a very comfortable 10 litre tank on the unit.
    Extends your times and gives you some extra gas for suit inflation and bcd .
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Numpty diver  View Original Post
    you can buy a simple connector for the first stage and put a very comfortable 10 litre tank on the unit.
    Extends your times and gives you some extra gas for suit inflation and bcd .
    Dean
    I've dived for at least one year using a stell 8 liters tanks in scr mode....for me it was a nigthmare , I went back home after diving with horrible backakes.
    a ten steel ten liter would be enven worth.
    in addition you have to consider that your ABS shell won't resist long holding such a big tank.
    I went back to the 5 liter quite fastly...then I used a second Nitrox stage to feed a ray by pass with N40.
    the ray by pass was connected to the oxygauge port I did not use cause my sensors were in a T on the inhalation hose.
    so I had the 5 liter as a bottom gas tank (I used 25/35 TX) on the Nx 32 jet wich gave me a 20lt/mn flow rater and a 6 liter nitrox tank.

of course I switched to kiss style soon after and used to have time limitations except the scrubber time of course.

regards

jean mi

Now showing as "Dean Coote" Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver's Avatar

Hei jean
    the shell doesnt completly support the tank, the harness does.
    spent a lot of time getting my trim correct then things balenced out ok for me.
    I like the dolphin as a fun uncomplicated scr , which i still use.

I have tried to use it as a ccr and with helium.. starts to work out more money then buying a resonable factory built ce approved ccr , was good fun building it though.
    Dean

Gilberto Bonaga, Italy gibbogeo will become famous soon enough gibbogeo will become famous soon enough gibbogeo will become famous soon enough gibbogeo will become famous soon enough gibbogeo's Avatar
    Kiss with Hammerhead

Draeger Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by jmurba  View Original Post
    in addition you have to consider that your ABS shell won't resist long holding such a big tank.
    I broke myne quite immediately with a 8 liter steel tank.

Then i installed a second bypass from the ray (seems it is quite common!) and bought an aluminium shell from New Zealand.

Ok I am pretty sure I am going to go with the Dolphin. Do you think it is the best Semi Closed for its price?

Also how hard and expensive are they to convert over to a CCR?

Hi Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Numpty diver  View Original Post
    Hei jean
    the shell doesnt completly support the tank, the harness does.
    spent a lot of time getting my trim correct then things balenced out ok for me.
    I like the dolphin as a fun uncomplicated scr , which i still use.

++++ trim is the very problem of the dolphin configuration, I ended up with a 3 kg lead bar on the top of my home made shell and 2 2kg soft lest pockets on top of the harness stripes and now I am swiming like a fish .
    I've dive the dolphin for years I love it simplicity provided I don't have to undo it at everydive, I only take of the canister and then rince it like this without even removing the tanks, I let the dolphin drying uprigth in the garage , and it is ok.

I have tried to use it as a ccr and with helium.. starts to work out more money then buying a resonable factory built ce approved ccr , was good fun building it though.
    Dean
    to be honest 1500 euros for a used dolphin, 1000 euros of parts ....it is exactly the price of an OR ...
    kissing a dolphin used tyo be a bargain....if alex keeps his price where it is...
    I will keep my "dolphin", but I will buy an OR for the rare time I go in clubs and if the OR make my life easier I will leave my dolphin in the garage...well if I can consider my dolphin as a dolphin and if you visit my web you will see it is not obvious.

regards

jean mi

Quote Originally Posted by WartedEmperor  View Original Post
    Ok I am pretty sure I am going to go with the Dolphin. Do you think it is the best Semi Closed for its price?

Also how hard and expensive are they to convert over to a CCR?
    about 1500 euros at tecme if you get a sensor holder , an oxymeter, the sensors, the hydrogom valve, the oxy reg, the spanner, the shell.

if you add it to the price of a used dolphin....it will mean 3000 euros...where the OR is 2500....

ihmo it is time to wait cause either the third parts maker will low their price either they will go bankrupt

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast