+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Titan Revealed - Kona, Hawaii

RBW Member Konaquatica will become famous soon enough Konaquatica will become famous soon enough Konaquatica will become famous soon enough Konaquatica will become famous soon enough Konaquatica's Avatar

Titan Revealed - Kona, Hawaii

The much rumored and talked about Titan CCR recently underwent some final dive testing here at Konaquatica Dive Center in Kona, Hawaii. As you probably know, many manufacturers bring their rebreathers and products here to Konaquatica for testing, in large part because they can count on the great diving conditions, warm water, vis and ocean life year-round, plus we have everything here that a CCR diver would really want. For example the Shearwater Pursuit was put through some of its paces here, prior to release.

Now back to the Titan. I personally did a lot of the prep work on the rebreather that they brought here to Kona, which was the first of the production units and got to spend days around it, both above and under the water.

Some impressions. The size, dimensions and apparent hydrodynamics of this CCR = Wow! Small, compact and was easily worn by one of our Konaquatica crew, who happens to be a very attractive young woman. Be that as it may, she wore the Titan on land and in shallow water for publicity photos and later stated that it was in effect easy and no big deal at all for her. On the other hand, the primary Titan diver was a very large male, and proportionately, the unit was unbelievably small and compact when he was wearing and diving it. Personally, I carried the Titan many times, loaded it on-and-off our dive boat and couldn't believe I was carrying a fully ready-to-dive CCR. It was that compact and light.

Speaking of the Shearwater, this fine computer is incorporated into the Titan, but it's not your Father's Pursuit. Specific new features have been incorporated especially for the Titan, which I will let be fully revealed at the upcoming DEMA show.

The case and layout of this CCR are well-though-out, easy to work with for unit pre-dives, post-dives, as well as maintenance. Since the Titan personnel had asked for my input, the first suggestion I made to them was to make the zipper, which goes around the case and allows access to the rebreather's main components, was difficult for me to realign and start on the tracks to close, easier to access and use. Surprise, the Titan people were way ahead of me and that change was already made, and will be incorporated in the first production units delivered to waiting divers, who are already in line for their Titans.

Now, unlike many others, who mostly don't have any firsthand experience with it, and tend to tout the virtues of their own units and prejudices, often based on...something they read on the internet, I am a fan of the ExtendAir cartridges. (Disclaimer: Yes, I am a dealer for them and sell and teach the O2ptima, buy hey, I'm also a dealer for sofnolime and sodasorb and have been packing my own scrubbers on about 10 different CCRs I've been diving and teaching since the mid-90s). Regardless, the point is that the Titan, after a lot of work and research have incorporated a design, which maximizes the capabilities of this no-hassle scrubber. In my daily life here at Konaquatica, I often have to be up to all-hours, prepping a unit after tending to all the other things that go along with running a dive operation. The Extend-Air has been a blessing for me in this regard. Its performance in the Titan should be a revelation for many people, currently on-the-fence, and even some of its iconoclastic nay-sayers and detractors.

The breathing loop had some nice features. How about some hydrophobic features built-in ? ! I don't know about you, but after years and hundreds of hours diving the Cis-Lunar, I like that in a CCR. The DSV had nice function, but again, since I personally didn't dive it (this time), there will certainly be more revealed there.

One funny note. We had taken our dive boat with Tomar, the owner and developer of the Titan, up the the world-famous Manta Ray Night Dive spot, in order to take some publicity shots of the Titan, with some of our numerous, local mantas. I mentioned in the pre-dive briefing, that local morays, being the opportunistic creatures they are, would be out-and-about hunting, and that they often would go by, or even brush, or go through the diver's gear. Of course, they aren't interested in the divers, because to them, we are just another rock, and they are only trying to sneak up on some easy prey to eat, so although some interesting moments have happened, like the time one went right between the legs of a Playboy playmate, it's actually another just another highlight of a normally great dive and no big deal. Well, it was only after the images were looked at on the computer post-dive that we say the large green moray, which had coiled itself around the Titans hoses, so you could clearly see the back of the Titan (good-looking case by the way), with the morays head sticking up, looking for fish. Too funny, but probably not going in the Titan ads. LOL.

At any rate, the first production Titan functioned flawlessly on all our multiple dives over days and nights spent diving here off the Kona coast. Deepest dive was when we anchored next to a Cessna plane wreck, which lies at 117 fsw. I will say, it appeared to me, that the Titan rebreather swam very nicely. Certainly diver posture and positioning was good, i.e. not butt-heavy, or head's down. In fact it appeared to trim out very nicely.

Honestly, I was going to reveal many more up-until-now kept under wraps features of the Titan, with the full permission and blessing of the manufacturers and developers; however, as a direct result of our diving here in Kona, a few final "tweaks" are being made and incorporated, so rather than stealing any of their thunder, I will leave it up to them and this year's DEMA show to reveal them in all their glory.

One last thing. Bubble Seekers, now known as Titan Dive Gear are instituting a dive program for the Titan and owners of this CCR, where selected dive operations around-the-world, will be given cylinders and other items, so that traveling divers of this unit will find it that much easier to do so. Well, Konaquatica Dive Center now has a set of Titan onboards here, awaiting the first Titan divers to head our way to enjoy some amazing CCR diving.

One last disclaimer. I was not been paid anything for this posting. More importantly, these are just personal impressions and I in no way-shape-or-form have any control over when the Titan is finally released, or any changes that they as the manufacturer may, or may not make, prior to this. I write this only for interest's sake and information, based on being shown the unit, how to operate it (sans diving), did some of the pre and post-dive tasks, which I might add were very, very easy to accomplish on the Titan compared to other units. Also, since, over the years, I have been made privy to many secrets and proprietary information from numerous rebreather and diving manufacturers, and as such, do not reveal any such information until such time as it is actually released to the diving public, or I am specifically told that it is alright to do so, that again this was only done after the Titan personnel told me that it was perfectly fine and alright with them and to please do so. Now, like you, I am eagerly awaiting the official public release and delivery of the production Titan rebreathers to divers everywhere.

Mahalo and Aloha. Safe Diving.

Best Fishes,

Jim Holt
    Last edited by Konaquatica; 20th October 2008 at 07:14.

Banned Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn's Avatar
    Apoc

Drager

Re: Titan Revealed - Kona, Hawaii

Hi Jim,

Interesting writeup.
    Titan Dive Gear

If I may, can you share some light on the following:
    - 3.5Hr duration from an Micropore EAC: Do you know under what test conditions & where they had this tested?
    - Is the ADV a stock item or was it an optional extra on the unit you used?
    - Was it fitted with a DSV or BOV?
    - What on earth is "Electronic manual addition for both Oxygen and Diluent"?
    - It looks small, does it really weight ~22kg ready to dive?
    - As the HUD is completely independent, how many cells does the unit run?

Regards
    Brad

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Isn't this the unit that was introduced a couple of years ago. Shown at some shows (Beneath the Sea) and then disappeared off the market?

If I am correct (not sure I am) then some explanation regarding the past history of the unit would be useful.

The website is somewhat embassingly poor especially given the high praise in the review about the unit.

John

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

hydrophobic membranes & EAC's...?

Interesting considering I've heard of two caustic cocktails on previous beta units, it would be interesting to compare\contrast previous generations with this new relaunched iteration...

Sic Semper Tyrannis NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konaquatica  View Original Post

One last thing. Bubble Seekers, now known as Titan Dive Gear are instituting a dive program for the Titan and owners of this CCR, where selected dive operations around-the-world, will be given cylinders and other items, so that traveling divers of this unit will find it that much easier to do so. Well, Konaquatica Dive Center now has a set of Titan onboards here, awaiting the first Titan divers to head our way to enjoy some amazing CCR diving.
    Regardless of band of unit, this is a practice that should be looked at by all manufacturers. This seems like a tremendous benefit to travelers.

As for the unit, I guess we will have to wait and see.

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Quote Originally Posted by netmage  View Original Post
    hydrophobic membranes & EAC's...?

Interesting considering I've heard of two caustic cocktails on previous beta units, it would be interesting to comparecontrast previous generations with this new relaunched iteration...
    If they were using an EAC in the earlier versions, a caustic cocktail isn't likely.

They are Hydrophobic and the EAC has to sit in water quite a while before it becomes caustic... So diving one full of water for a long period of time isn't likely.

Richie

Johnny The Hatch Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad's Avatar
    CCR2000, Megalodon, Homebuilt

Norge, FGT, mk15, KISS, Inspo

First of all, i had a go at the Titan earlier this year and i must say that it is a lovely unit, hence i have one on order.

Now let me try to answer some questions.
    1. I dont know.
    2. As i understand ADV will be stock
    3. BOV will be stock, ADV will be built in BOV. And will be spring fired.
    4. The only way to add manual gas, being O2 och Diluent, is through a solenoid, which you can fire by pressing a button on the computer. Now I know many people will think this is crazy, i too am sceptic, but i must say that i also like the idea. We should think out of the box and try to make rebreathers that differ from other. The way i reason is that if i know about how it works and i know that this is a new idea and i am willing to try it. Then i will also be more cautious about it.
    5. Yes
    6. Hmmm dont know, the unit runs of 3 cells. Dont know how the implementation behind is.

/Jonny

Quote Originally Posted by Brad_Horn  View Original Post
    Hi Jim,

Interesting writeup.
    Titan Dive Gear

If I may, can you share some light on the following:
    - 3.5Hr duration from an Micropore EAC: Do you know under what test conditions & where they had this tested?
    - Is the ADV a stock item or was it an optional extra on the unit you used?
    - Was it fitted with a DSV or BOV?
    - What on earth is "Electronic manual addition for both Oxygen and Diluent"?
    - It looks small, does it really weight ~22kg ready to dive?
    - As the HUD is completely independent, how many cells does the unit run?

Regards
    Brad

RBW Member Konaquatica will become famous soon enough Konaquatica will become famous soon enough Konaquatica will become famous soon enough Konaquatica will become famous soon enough Konaquatica's Avatar

Aloha !

Please allow me to give some information, and try to answer some questions, by simply relaying what was told to me today by the Titan CCR folks.

Disclaimer: I repeat. I have no control over what the manufacturer either does, or doesn't do, or when that happens. I am out in Hawaii running Konaquatica Dive Center and diving. They are a separate entity, based in California and currently on their way to DEMA. Please take this with a grain of salt. It is only meant for informational purposes, to clear up some misconceptions, and to answer what are some good questions. I am only the messenger...so regardless of what actually materializes (or doesn't), please don't kill the messenger.

The Micropore ExtendAir cartridge is undergoing a full test to give the duration. This is being done incorporating the standard parameters: water temperature, depth and CO2 level. I was told that the results will be posted on the Titan's web site at some point in the near future, but certainly not until after DEMA.

The Titan will be coming standard with their DSV. As an option, it can be configured with their BOV, which is undergoing the procedures for CE approval right now. The manufacturer's plans are to eventually go through a full CE approval for the entire CCR, but currently there is no set time-table for this.

The ADV will be stock and included on all Titans.

Everyone who was dubious about there, in the past, not being any manual gas addition, can now put there minds at ease. The Titan will be coming with a standard offboard gas block, which is going to incorporate manual addition for oxygen, diluent and offboard gas. Curious minds will want to know that the connectors utilized in the gas block will be standard scuba l.p. hoses, utilizing schrader valves, so you won't need specialized, idiosyncratic hoses and fittings on the Titan and can plug-in and utilize practically any mission and depth appropriate gas source.

I have to admit a mistake I inadvertently made in the first post. Turns out that the Titan isn't going to weigh what I said it was. No. It turns out that since they left Kona and Konaquatica with the unit, they have shaved off even more weight and actually reduced its size even more. Is that the sound I hear of some cave and wreck divers salivating at the thought ? I was told today that the Titan, fully configured for diving with steel tanks, scrubber, etc. now weighs a total of 46 lbs. Now you will need to add weights per your body and exposure protection, but for me, since I dive here in Kona wearing just a bathing suit down to 330 fsw, 46 lbs sounds really good. Your mileage may vary...

I also stand corrected on another issue. (hey, I can't get all of them right! And as I said, I am not responsible for what they change, or when things are available). Turns out that they have found with the Titan's water tolerance capabilities and the ExtendAir cartridge's greater tolerance to caustics, that the hydrophobic features were not even necessary, so therefore none will be included.

Please take this for what it's worth. Also, I probably won't be able to answer any more questions, but not because I wouldn't be happy to help you all. It's just that the Titan people are leaving for DEMA and I am going to be diving here with some of our visiting divers here off the Kona coast of Hawaii with Konaquatica Dive Center. (Hey! Somebody has to do it!). So I suggest you wait for the sure to be upcoming reports out of the show in Las Vegas. Oh, one more thing. If you're going to DEMA, you might want to bring a bathing suit with you, because the Titan booth is going to have a little pool right there, so you will have the opportunity to put a Titan on yourself and see what it's really like underwater. Have fun.

Again, thanks. Wish I could be of more help and I hope to see many of you here in Hawaii diving with Konaquatica...you're invited !
    Last edited by Konaquatica; 22nd October 2008 at 07:32.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Jim,

I think the reaction your getting here is based on the unit being at DEMA the last 2 or so years and several other shows inbetween each time with a promise to be ava in another 60-90 days...

Dive Safe

Mark

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by diverklondike  View Original Post
    Jim,

I think the reaction your getting here is based on the unit being at DEMA the last 2 or so years and several other shows inbetween each time with a promise to be ava in another 60-90 days...

Dive Safe

Mark
    Thanks Mark for clarifying. I was not sure I had the right unit in my last post. I wonder if the question I posed in my earlier post (2000 lb Gorilla sitting in the corner) will get a reasonable answer from the manufacturer or one of the dealers. Or if the normal response method of ignore the negative and spout off about the positive will prevail. I think that's called the baffle brains with bullshit approach.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast