+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Sockpuppet Nation

  1. #1
    RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,760

    Sockpuppet Nation

    Curt and Staff,

    I hope the new RBW does something to control the use of sockpuppets on this board. Stuart was recently quoted as stating there are 10000 RBW members. Prior to DEMA 07, the membership was down from that by a few thousand. I did a member search, and a vast number of those were users with zero posts and suspicious email addresses or data in certain fields viewable in the search. ie. Spammers I now am being harrassed by a sockpuppet over the sale of my scooter. I'm sure the MODS can track the IP back to a current member, and I think I know who it is.

    I don't complain without a suggestion, so here it goes.

    1. Don't let someone open an account without filling in all profile information
    2. Don't let someone post in any forums until they have posted in the introductions forum
    3. Don't let someone PM until they have earned some green reputation
    4. Require real names be used under the screen name or in the signature if the screen name is not already the real name

    This sockpuppet that is harrassing me has the name of a fictional character that lives in a fantasy world who has zero posts and a friend who is interested in my DPV. If a MOD PMs me, I'll give you the name. At least this is in private, but the public sockpuppets are the most annoying.

    Sorry, but I'm sick of the bullshit clouding this good board.

    Eric

  2. #2
    Banned AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM has much to be proud of AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Earth.
    Posts
    964

    Re: Sockpuppet Nation

    Agreed wholeheartedly.

    Particularly in instances where vociferous commentators wade into safety debates yet they have never posted here before and lack the good grace to even introduce themselves to the community before attacking the members.

    Anyone with a genuine interest in safety is an active and regular contributor here, not a one-trick agenda pony.

    Regards

    AnneMarie

    PS Eric, there is something wrong, we keep agreeing lately!

  3. #3

    Re: Sockpuppet Nation

    And for Christ shake why? Do you also require a full medical background?

    I'm not a CCR diver and i'm far from becomin one, but i have friends who are diving CCR and i eventualy have some information about diving in my country (almost about stupid regulation i must admit but it's better to know it before comming than after). So if i fallow your post i must not be allowed to answer you in this trhead first :D and not be allowed to answer a question on wich i can have a peace of information?

    Whooo what a cool and nice bord it'll become.... Is not the goal of internet to link people who doesn't know each others? Do you need my full name to talk or even answer me if i ask something about rebrethers? For information, Yes mods and amins can know who is who from the IP adresses used to post on the board, with the limitation of multi users behind an enterprise proxy that could occurs if two people work at the same building or for family members using the same internet connection, so no automatic sockpupet detector could be implemented easily.

    That constant claim for user's information before even thought of posting any thing is kinda scaring deviation of what internet boards ought to be imho.

    Regards

    Nemesis

  4. #4
    RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,760

    Re: Sockpuppet Nation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis  View Original Post
    And for Christ shake why? Do you also require a full medical background?

    I'm not a CCR diver and i'm far from becomin one, but i have friends who are diving CCR and i eventualy have some information about diving in my country (almost about stupid regulation i must admit but it's better to know it before comming than after). So if i fallow your post i must not be allowed to answer you in this trhead first :D and not be allowed to answer a question on wich i can have a peace of information?

    Whooo what a cool and nice bord it'll become.... Is not the goal of internet to link people who doesn't know each others? Do you need my full name to talk or even answer me if i ask something about rebrethers? For information, Yes mods and amins can know who is who from the IP adresses used to post on the board, with the limitation of multi users behind an enterprise proxy that could occurs if two people work at the same building or for family members using the same internet connection, so no automatic sockpupet detector could be implemented easily.

    That constant claim for user's information before even thought of posting any thing is kinda scaring deviation of what internet boards ought to be imho.

    Regards

    Nemesis
    Ok, for starters:

    Hi, my name is Eric. What's yours?

    You've been diving for how long? cool.

    Where do you live? Excellent. Great diving there.

    Now please fill in your profile so we know we are talking to someone genuine, and now you can send some PMs. BTW, here's some green for introducing yourself.


    I'm talking about the guy calling me an asshole in private because I won't give him information about my DPV because he refuses to identify himself. He's just trying to stir shit with me, and it didn't work, so now's he's off to calling me names.

  5. #5

    Re: Sockpuppet Nation

    Well i thought that for this sort of behaviour there was a system of reporting to the mods. Then it's their 'job' to remove / put away the offending account no? (sorry if my english is awfull i'm a damn french ;) ).

    So anyway back to lurking, what i like here is not beating dead horses or throwing stones at people (even if some earn it :D no not you mempilot) but learning about this scarefull things that are rebreathers ;).

    Regards.

    Nicolas aka Nemesis (is this better ?)

  6. #6
    RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In da house! yeah baby!
    Posts
    3,601

    Re: Sockpuppet Nation

    As always if you get harrassed by PM or by public posting report it to a member of staff.

    Same goes for sock puppets.

  7. #7
    My unit can beat up yours JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97 has much to be proud of JCdesign97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    524
    Optima

    Re: Sockpuppet Nation

    Quote Originally Posted by mempilot  View Original Post
    ...

    This sockpuppet that is harrassing me has the name of a fictional character that lives in a fantasy world who has zero posts and a friend who is interested in my DPV. If a MOD PMs me, I'll give you the name. At least this is in private, but the public sockpuppets are the most annoying.

    Sorry, but I'm sick of the bullshit clouding this good board.

    Eric
    Oh, dead giveaway ... Tim (AKA Hello Kitty) - stop harassing Eric about his scooter FFS!! :D

  8. #8
    RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,760

    Re: Sockpuppet Nation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis  View Original Post
    Well i thought that for this sort of behaviour there was a system of reporting to the mods. Then it's their 'job' to remove / put away the offending account no? (sorry if my english is awfull i'm a damn french ;) ).

    So anyway back to lurking, what i like here is not beating dead horses or throwing stones at people (even if some earn it :D no not you mempilot) but learning about this scarefull things that are rebreathers ;).

    Regards.

    Nicolas aka Nemesis (is this better ?)
    Nicolas,

    I didn't say anything about lurkers who are legit.

    "Hi. My name is Nicolas. I am thinking about purchasing a rebreather, so, I'll be lurking around a while I learn some things."

    Great, here's some green, and thanks for filling out your profile. Hope to hear from you in the future and let us know if you have any questions.

    ______

    See how much better that is than zero posts, no real profile, an add for Viagra in your certifications field, and an email for cell phone sales in some other field?

    Sorry Nicolas. None of this was directed at you. Some jagoff called me an ahole for asking him to identify himself before I started doing commerce with him for several thousand dollars.

  9. #9
    RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,760

    Re: Sockpuppet Nation

    Quote Originally Posted by JCdesign97  View Original Post
    Oh, dead giveaway ... Tim (AKA Hello Kitty) - stop harassing Eric about his scooter FFS!! :D
    A-Hole!

    See, if I call someone a name, I do it in public with my name in the signature line! :D

    And BTW, this John Cogan guy really is an a-hole, but a fine Optima diver and photographer at the same time. No sockpuppet there. Just a really good guy with a sense of humor that you don't find typically find in guys from his neck of the woods.

  10. #10
    Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    0

    Re: Sockpuppet Nation

    Quote Originally Posted by mempilot  View Original Post
    A-Hole!

    See, if I call someone a name, I do it in public with my name in the signature line! :D


    Which is a result of who bugging all to do so? And thanks for being one to make the change.

    On NoBubbleDiving.Com we have solved a portion of the sock-puppet issues by offering additional privileges to people who use their real name as their screen name. By doing so, we encourage members to understand that the people they interface with are, well... *people*. It engenders a higher degree of community and of mutual respect. Suggest that this become the standard for a better society here as well. The Mods should be the first to stand up and be "real": With the exception of Joe Radomski, all of them use fake names. Why is that? It sets the tone, and methinks the tone should change. If one is proud of what they write, you would think that being attributed would be a pleasure. Use real names... and encourage others to do so.

    Dave

    .
    Last edited by MB; 16th October 2008 at 17:18.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts