+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CL Material

digital nomad GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM's Avatar
    Hyperion pSCR

IDA71, HomeBuilts, Ray, RGU/FM

CL Material

I am looking into building a set of back mounted CLs for my IDA71. I want to split the single lung and incorporate a water trap.

Has anyone used neoprene for building CLs? If so, can you provide some specs and do's/dont's?

A second option I am considering, is hyphalon neoprene (used for many things from lift bags to RIB tubes). I have seen it used on the RGU/FM units. Tough as nails! Any experience there?

Thx,
    GKAM

DeepDevilDiver Mistral Gagnant is an unknown quantity at this point Mistral Gagnant's Avatar
    TRITON

DDD

Re: CL Material

For our DDD (Decorider RB), we use "water bags" from "Ortlieb", and i know that Kiss RB use water Bags to. I think it's easier to buy them, or finally to modify them if you have a particular need. But it's a good "base" to work.

New Member lilou is an unknown quantity at this point lilou's Avatar

Hello GKAM,

I know some home builders use the MSR water bag : http://www.msrcorp.com/hydration/dromedary.asp

Best regards

Lilian

digital nomad GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM is a glorious beacon of light GKAM's Avatar
    Hyperion pSCR

Thx, I have already seen the MSR bags. These are perfect for OTS placement or like the KISS backmounted configuration.

However, my IDA needs a custom shape I guess. One of the bags needs to be large enough to accept the ADV, Scrubber connector, and Breathing hose. The other needs to accommodate the OPV, hose connector and scrubber connection...

The MSR bags and their clones are simply too narrow. This is why I am thinking of going custom from scratch. Anyone have experience with materials???

Alternatively, do you have any ideas how to add the russian connectors to the MSR bags? The Russians used a rubber bellows system that would be impossible to glue to the MSR bags. Also, I have no access to RF for joining PU material

I feel that neoprene is most likely my best bet...

Cheers,
    GKAM
    Last edited by GKAM; 24th November 2005 at 04:58.

New Member lilou is an unknown quantity at this point lilou's Avatar

Hello GKAM,

OK i understand your problem, so why you don't use only the IDA CL ?
    I explain me, you can cut the IDA CL in two part like that arrange you and glued the cut part on each side of the IDA CL cutted. With a big volum for the inhalation part and a smaller volum for the exhalation part.
    It' s just an idea i don't know if it's ok.

Best regards

Lilian

DeepDevilDiver Mistral Gagnant is an unknown quantity at this point Mistral Gagnant's Avatar
    TRITON

DDD

Our Ortlieb bag are larger than MSR..., the size is 10 Liters...
    We already connect on it, 2 Drager femal connectors, and on the Exhal bag we put our apeks "valve".

And they are 2 bags like this in a tube of 160mm of diameter, and a size of 6 Liters.

Search ortlieb water bags...

Joseph Grech Joseph Grech is an unknown quantity at this point Joseph Grech's Avatar

I used Ortlieb 10 ltr bags with my homemade and they are tough and easy to fit adv ecc...

Joseph

Hyperion pSCR

Yeap, this would be my first choice. However the russian bags use a bellows system for the connectors. One part is vulcanized to the rubber CL and the other is open-ended and the connectorus are tied/wrapped with string.

On the Draeger units and other similar ones, you just cut a hole and basically "trap" the material between two rings. This is both practical and safe. You can see the P-connectors on my IDA71 in the Gallery.

I do not want to cut up the original CL in case my project fails.

So, any ideas on:

i] how to glue rubber to HydroPack (eg MSR) bags
    ii] neoprene CL options

or mods to the Russian connectors? Thanks to everyone for contributing :) ! I am still open for suggestions...

GKAM

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Quote Originally Posted by GKAM
    So, any ideas on:

i
    how to glue rubber to HydroPack (eg MSR) bags
    ii] neoprene CL options

or mods to the Russian connectors? Thanks to everyone for contributing :) ! I am still open for suggestions...

GKAM
    Hi George-

Just a few random neural firings to build on your bag ideas:

- A heavy duty size large latex dry suit cuff might work as a sleeve for mounting the ADV in a water bag.

- Don’t know if latex dry suit cuffs come small enough, but smaller versions might do for breathing hose, OPV, and scrubber connections.

- A replacement truck tire valve w/ large rubber skirt would make a great connection for manual O2 and diluent addition.

-You also might want to try dipping your own connectors from latex rubber. Make a simple wooden form in the shape you want, including the flat cuff for mating to the bag. See how Tom Rose did it here: http://www.atlimp.com/gasket.htm Just keep dipping and drying until connector is thick enough to suit you.

-A good adhesive to try for gluing stuff to bags would be a rubber cement called Pliobond. It’s really good stuff, but only works well if you FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS (duhhh…)

Have fun!

Ken

Supporting Member aquaturis is an unknown quantity at this point aquaturis's Avatar

Any ideas where to get an off the shelf over the shoulder bag like the Ray?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast