+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: The NEW RBW

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Re: The NEW RBW

Trying to keep it on subject...

Keep the good and throw out the bad. It's supposed to be a resource about RB diving. Not about personalities and politics. Different opinions are expected and needed. And negative opinions about other opinions are appropriate to some extent, just like negative ads in political campaigns. But there has to be a limit or a line drawn.

On specific items, I would like to see a better help function or FAQ list. Just like some prior posts in this thread, there are simple things that exist already, but many users don't know about them. I have often cursed at the limited search function. It seems search terms have to be longer than 3 letters and I have yet to figure out how to use advanced search features like boolean terms (and, or, or exact match of an entire phrase). I'm sure they exist, but even the help feature doesn't help. A search for "search" brings up only a 2-line FAQ without detail. And a search for "boolean" comes up blank.

Ken

Hi,

I did not read all the thread.
    I would only want to say that rebreather world must remain (among other things) a place where the main rebreather actors like makers,contributors,old divers issue recent information.
    I think that rebreather world is a place where diver's come to get informed.
    It is only one of my motivations, as I like discussing technical issues (machining, electronics etc etc) but I think that it is the main motivation about visitors.
    here in the south of france I know a rather big group of rebreather divers and future rebreather diver's : they rarely contribute , they rarely discuss, they visit to know if alex has started selling is OR and to know the price, they ask a few question and only come back when they need.

I'd like rebreather world to remain a place to discuss but also to becom a real media giving fresh information.

Also this information should be logged in a better manner so that we could all find the old information easier a little bit like therebreatherworld site where it is possible to find back interesting articles i 2 seconds.

not easy all of this.

anyway good luck Curt .

regards

jean mi

Andrey Prokopenko Faceless is a name known to all Faceless is a name known to all Faceless is a name known to all Faceless is a name known to all Faceless is a name known to all Faceless is a name known to all Faceless is a name known to all Faceless is a name known to all Faceless is a name known to all Faceless is a name known to all Faceless is a name known to all Faceless's Avatar
    none

none

Knowing Curt Bowen and his ADM magazine as a very professional and knowledgeable man, I can only praise this joining, and really hope that this join will have synergetic effect, keeping Rebreather World community a good place for exchanging information & discussing new ideas, backing off inevitable ego-mud-fights (human nature, you know :) ) regardless of personal preferences.
    Curt in return will enrich ADM magazine pages with new & exciting articles.
    In fact, ADM has remained the only diving magazine I now read on regulal basic.

From the technical point of view I'd strongly suggest for new Rebreather World tech admins to install & use mod_deflate extension module for Apache 2.0.
    mod_deflate - Apache HTTP Server
    This module compress HTML pages before sending them to the end-user browser, then page gets decompressed "on-the-fly" by the user's browser.
    Nearly all current browsers support this feature ( Mozilla, Chrome, M$ IExplorer, Opera etc.)
    Just a minor example of HTML compression efficiency: a one page of this thread weights about 400 Kb uncomplressed, but ZIP-ed it weights just a 39kb. More that a ten times advantage on HTML bandwith and hence, site keeping costs. Next step would be proper pages caching policy, but it's more complex topic, I'd explain it in separate tech area.

Helium is addictive! Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman's Avatar

A better way to view/search/browse for pictures would be nice. The gallery as it is now is a PITA to use.

RBW Member Nazaar will become famous soon enough Nazaar will become famous soon enough Nazaar will become famous soon enough Nazaar will become famous soon enough Nazaar's Avatar

I've been lurking for about 3 years now, off and on. More 'off' than 'on' recently though. Like most of the people here, I've spent a lot of time on messageboards. Most of that time on non-diving boards. I've seen posts grow and shrink, and posts go from awesome little communities to cesspools of faecal matter as they grow too large. These are the things I would personally suggest make a good messageboard with quality content:

-Increase the signal to noise ratio. Moderation is key if what you want is a content-based board. Someone derails a thread, either split it to a separate thread or delete the posts, with a short note saying why it was deleted. Personal attacks are deleted and the users warned, then an increasing scale of 'time outs' to permaban. If you have a critical mass of people then proper moderation leads to everyone increasing their game and people actually being happy that they're not wasting their time trawling through trash to get to the good bits. It doesn't matter if the person in question has done a 300m dive in their jocks breathing through a straw, they attack someone they suffer the consequences. There is a big difference between two people having a heated argument about issues they don't see eye-to-eye about, arguing the points in a calm and reasoned manner, and accusing someone of having unnatural relations with goats. It can be quite funny, I agree, but it just leads to more noise and less signal.

-Moderators deserve respect but cannot be above the law. They put in a lot of time and should be acknowledged for that, but cannot be allowed to get away with considerably more than a normal poster or things head South very quickly. Transparency in moderation is the key to making people happy in having to deal with it. Deleting posts without explanation leads to people wondering and becoming unhappy.

-As someone suggested, FAQs. If you've been around a board long enough the same questions get asked. To alleviate the grumpy old people reaction have a series of FAQs that comprehensively explain the issue the newbie is asking about, showing all reasonable sides of the equation so no one can get their undergarments in a knot. It works on wikipedia, I don't see why it can't work here.

Just my (heavily devalued) 2c

RBW Member Diving Pete is on a distinguished road Diving Pete is on a distinguished road Diving Pete's Avatar
    Modified Inspro

Double Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Nazaar  View Original Post
    FAQs. If you've been around a board long enough the same questions get asked. To alleviate the grumpy old people reaction have a series of FAQs that comprehensively explain the issue the newbie is asking about, showing all reasonable sides of the equation so no one can get their undergarments in a knot. It works on wikipedia, I don't see why it can't work here.

Just my (heavily devalued) 2c
    Cos the newbies don't read them !

They just want the answer...hence the same questions popping up & I'm also a long time lurker.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9