+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chest Infections!!

RBW Member Capt. Ray Goosen is on a distinguished road Capt. Ray Goosen is on a distinguished road Capt. Ray Goosen's Avatar

Talking Chest Infections!!

Hello fellow divers I trust that this finds you all well. I have had an issue with chest infections of late and have maybe stumbled on the cause as a result of discussing "Loop disinfection" with my good dive buddy.

I have been using "Betadine" to disinfect my loop, lungs, hoses and the like. The more problems I have had with my chest, the more "Betadine" I have been using.

Seems like "Iodine" is not mans best friend. I have added copious amounts of "Betadine" and soaking my counter lungs and hoses and once done, have not flushed them in "Sweet" water aka "Fresh" water and as a result have started to have a niggling cough that developes into a "Bark" and a Phlem producing mess is the result.

Are any other divers using "Betadine" and if so have you had any issues with it?

I have been rather pedantic with the cleaning of my loop and the worse I felt the more I have added the "Betadine" Just done four and a half hours of shallow diving, max 23m in warm water (30 deg C) on this scrubber and have now stripped the unit down and am planing to cut down the dose of "Betadine".

The main question is what are you using to disinfect your loops and what if any has been your expierience using "Betadine"...as always be safe out there..Raymond.

P.S. the only thing more irritating than my chest cough is the fact that I am still a new member here despite being on here since 2005...maybe I should just hit the "Post Key" more often.. :)

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: Chest Infections!!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ray Goosen  View Original Post
    Hello fellow divers I trust that this finds you all well. I have had an issue with chest infections of late and have maybe stumbled on the cause as a result of discussing "Loop disinfection" with my good dive buddy.

I have been using "Betadine" to disinfect my loop, lungs, hoses and the like. The more problems I have had with my chest, the more "Betadine" I have been using.

Seems like "Iodine" is not mans best friend. I have added copious amounts of "Betadine" and soaking my counter lungs and hoses and once done, have not flushed them in "Sweet" water aka "Fresh" water and as a result have started to have a niggling cough that developes into a "Bark" and a Phlem producing mess is the result.

Are any other divers using "Betadine" and if so have you had any issues with it?

I have been rather pedantic with the cleaning of my loop and the worse I felt the more I have added the "Betadine" Just done four and a half hours of shallow diving, max 23m in warm water (30 deg C) on this scrubber and have now stripped the unit down and am planing to cut down the dose of "Betadine".

The main question is what are you using to disinfect your loops and what if any has been your expierience using "Betadine"...as always be safe out there..Raymond.

P.S. the only thing more irritating than my chest cough is the fact that I am still a new member here despite being on here since 2005...maybe I should just hit the "Post Key" more often.. :)
    I have experienced chest congestion and phlem after diving and I also use betadyne. I may not always rinse as thouroghly as I should. I will be watching this thread.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

CK#69 David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    I have experienced chest congestion and phlem after diving and I also use betadyne. I may not always rinse as thouroghly as I should. I will be watching this thread.
    I just use water mostly, and every couple of goes (or if it is particularly unpleasant) I will use Buddy Clean.

I think people worry too much frankly, I'm sure the air in an average hospital chest ward (where I work from time to time) has a pretty high variety of unpleasant things in the air (if at lower densities).

David

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ray Goosen  View Original Post

Betadine is not a great disenfectant for rb use..

The two I would recommend is either microban or Virkon (any of the variants)

The highest kill rate is virkon.. You need to use it correctly... I use the agricutural version (virkon s) as it costs under $60 for 10lb bucket.. The "human approved" version is called rely on.. Its alot more expensive as it is tested at all stages of production.. for our needs standard virkon fits the needs in my book.

I make a 1% solution this way.. get a 1 liter soda bottle fill it with water and add virkon until it no longer dissolves.. this is now a 4% solution (the max).. I dump this into my counterlung then add 3 more 1l bottles of water.. a 1% solution.. let it sstand 10 mins then dump solution into other counter lung.. afterwards I use this same solution for all theos hoses and do a wipedown on the parts I cant soak.. a 1% solution should be sufficient to kill almost anything.. You need to flush with fresh water after soaking with virkon.. You can tell if you left residue - its mildly irrating, but nothing like the gagging you can get from betadyne residue..

If I let some else use my rig, then I make a 2% solution and let each part soak 10 minutes.. The manufacturer's testing says a 2% solution with a 10 minute contact time has a 100% kill rate of everything they have tested it with... in reality a 2% is probably only needed when come in contact with bodily fluids..

I have never had any lung infection/respiratory issues..

each batch of virkon is good for about 1 week if kept out of the sun.. You know its bad when the color changes from an off orange to a yellow.. BTW I bought by 10lb bucket way back in 2000 and I still have stuff left.. I always disenfect after use so this stuff can last a long time... NOTE: you have to keep the unused chemical dry otherwise it will turn yellow and go bad as well.. WHat I did is to break up the 10lbs into several ziplok bags (evacuating the air) and then keep these stored in the airtight bucket..

This stuff is also very easy to carry with you on trips..
    Last edited by jradomski; 5th October 2008 at 21:27.
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Silent Lucidity mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver's Avatar
    Megalodon

Had similar problems using betadyne, stopped using it problems went away.
    switched to virkon have not had any problems since change.

RBW Member doug allen is on a distinguished road doug allen is on a distinguished road doug allen's Avatar

I use the tablets sold by my local dive shop. The ones that disolve in water....apparently, I forgot to properly disinfect my rebreather the last time out and got a severe upper chest infection that lasted a week and kept me out of work for a week.....lesson learned.

Dive Deep and Dive Long Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf's Avatar
    rEvo

Beta-dyne I do not believe is a very good disinfectant for a RB. Mel may be able to chime in better on this she is a Pharmacies. Beta-dyne is a external disinfectant if i recall correctly and can wreak havoc internally in sufficient quantity and on certain tissues such as the lung tissue. I use Vircon and if i am on the road mouth wash if i have to.

The Evolution of Diving diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob's Avatar
    Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

I use Vircon every few dives and just rinse in between, so far so good:)

Morgan's Mum bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sport Kiss

iodine based compounds are strong irritants and sensitisers when inhaled. we use it at work to clean incubators. they have to be turned off prior to cleaning as they're at 37C and its an enclosed space. for metal surfaces, we use iodine, then wash thoroughly with water until no yellow residue is remaining, then follow with 70% ethanol spray (now that is a fantastic way to start the morning if the incubator is still warm!). if you don't thoroughly remove the iodine with water it is corrosive. so i am not surprised that you have lung irritation from improperly rinsed parts that then have warmed air flow over them when used.

virkon is a much better option.

rachel

Nicholas Smith Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo has a reputation beyond repute Abbo's Avatar
    Megalodon

I had a problem with a freeflow on the oxygen manual addition today and had the PO2 spike up to 2.0 at one stage. I have a bit of a tickle deep in my chest, but I would have thought that has more to do with the oxygen exposure than the fact that my breather is honking and needs a dose of some heavy-duty zyclon! It's not as if the OTUs were stunningly high today, but I wonder sometimes whether it's not the elevated oxygen that causes the tickly coughs - like the ones we got from over-chlorinated swimming pools as kids.

The tricky bits of the 'breather are the pads: over a couple of days' diving, even if you take them out and dry them overnight, they never get dry, and then they get stinky. What do you do? Soak them in virkon and dry them?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast