+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: SHEARWATER ELECTRONICS - Revisions, Issues and Support

  1. #11
    RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Asia, Europe & Mexico
    Posts
    1,144
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

    Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

    Re: SHEARWATER ELECTRONICS - Revisions, Issues and Support

    Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    Opps! I hate to sound negative but did'nt anyone learn from the issues with the old HH handsets not having a battery monitor function and the apparent issues that have been reported and discussed more times than I can count on this forum? It's crazy not to have a battery monitor so that you can have some level of confidence that the current or new batteries can make it thru the dive you are planning.

    John
    John,

    I have never dived or would dive HH for the simple reason their has been far to may electronic issues to keep track of so I have not spent my free time keeping up-to date with ALL their faults/problems, My Bad...

  2. #12
    RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,942
    HammerMeg

    Kiss Classic, Inspiration

    Re: SHEARWATER ELECTRONICS - Revisions, Issues and Support

    Quote Originally Posted by tecdivertraining  View Original Post
    John,

    I have never dived or would dive HH for the simple reason their has been far to may electronic issues to keep track of so I have not spent my free time keeping up-to date with ALL their faults/problems, My Bad...
    One of the foremost complaints on the older style handsets was battery failure during a dive. I always found it problematic to not know if the battery I had in the handset was going to last the dive duration or not. Now that I have the new Delrin Handsets which have a battery voltage reading and a voltage alarm setting I find it nice to know what voltage the batteries are both with no load and full load when I start the dive. I now have confidence that the batteries that I thought were brand new out of the box are indeed fully up to the voltage and the task. I am no longer diving blind when it comes to batteries.

    I was surprized how many AA batteries came out of the box much lower than full voltage. Before I was hesitant to use the SAFT batteries because I could never tell on which dive they would fail so I defaulted to using AA's and changing them every scrubber or 3 hours. Now I am using the SAFT batteries and enjoying there extended duration while knowing when they need to be changed in a controlled manner.

    By the way I have 6 unopened SAFT LS batteries with me if you need them.

    John

  3. #13
    RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Asia, Europe & Mexico
    Posts
    1,144
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

    Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

    Re: SHEARWATER ELECTRONICS - Revisions, Issues and Support

    Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    One of the foremost complaints on the older style handsets was battery failure during a dive. I always found it problematic to not know if the battery I had in the handset was going to last the dive duration or not. Now that I have the new Delrin Handsets which have a battery voltage reading and a voltage alarm setting I find it nice to know what voltage the batteries are both with no load and full load when I start the dive. I now have confidence that the batteries that I thought were brand new out of the box are indeed fully up to the voltage and the task. I am no longer diving blind when it comes to batteries.

    I was surprized how many AA batteries came out of the box much lower than full voltage. Before I was hesitant to use the SAFT batteries because I could never tell on which dive they would fail so I defaulted to using AA's and changing them every scrubber or 3 hours. Now I am using the SAFT batteries and enjoying there extended duration while knowing when they need to be changed in a controlled manner.

    By the way I have 6 unopened SAFT LS batteries with me if you need them.

    John
    John,

    I already Owe you a few beers and if I take those batteries you will be pissed for the whole trip next week, But hey I would love to take them of your hands.

    Cheers

  4. #14
    RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,942
    HammerMeg

    Kiss Classic, Inspiration

    Re: SHEARWATER ELECTRONICS - Revisions, Issues and Support

    Quote Originally Posted by tecdivertraining  View Original Post
    John,

    I already Owe you a few beers and if I take those batteries you will be pissed for the whole trip next week, But hey I would love to take them of your hands.

    Cheers
    Not likely since I don't drink. But your welcome to them anyways. I just might need a couple of your LST's to finish up my trip.

    John

  5. #15
    Shearwater Rep
    lpartridge will become famous soon enough lpartridge will become famous soon enough lpartridge will become famous soon enough lpartridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    76

    Re: SHEARWATER ELECTRONICS - Revisions, Issues and Support

    Matthew,

    If you want to know the voltage of the Pursuit battery, press the right button. There are five information displays. There is certainly no need to take the battery out after every dive to check the voltage.

    If it only lasted 15 hours, then it could be that it was an old battery. I would expect more than 15 hours even from an LST, but I have only tested the LS.

    In the second part of your question, it sounds like you are talking about the Meg isolation board battery. As I understand it, that battery has a huge capacity and very low current requirement. I suggest you talk to ISC about how to manage that battery. I am quite sure that taking it out after every dive to measure the voltage won't be the recommendation.

    Bruce

    Quote Originally Posted by tecdivertraining  View Original Post
    I wouldn’t it was purely hypothetical to see what his point was.

    I made the mistake of using the saft LST 14500 which has failed after only 15 hrs so I had to change it and caused my tissue loss all I missed was the letter T, I do hope that using the saft LS 14500 will give me more than 15 hrs before my unit switches off mid dive like it did.

    also I have no way of knowing the battery power that powers the cell readings unless i remove the battery prior to each dive and check it, thats no good either.

  6. #16
    CEO-Shearwater
    bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    720
    rEvo, JJ

    Meg,CCR2000,KISS,Inspo,Dolphin

    Re: SHEARWATER ELECTRONICS - Revisions, Issues and Support

    Deleted:
    Posted from wrong account

  7. #17

    Re: SHEARWATER ELECTRONICS - Revisions, Issues and Support

    Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    Not likely since I don't drink. But your welcome to them anyways. I just might need a couple of your LST's to finish up my trip.

    John
    Oh My God......

    A RB diver who doesn't drink.

    Man, that's like a stripper who doesn't do coke....

    What were the odds...

  8. #18
    RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Asia, Europe & Mexico
    Posts
    1,144
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

    Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

    Re: SHEARWATER ELECTRONICS - Revisions, Issues and Support

    Quote Originally Posted by lpartridge  View Original Post
    Matthew,

    If you want to know the voltage of the Pursuit battery, press the right button. There are five information displays. There is certainly no need to take the battery out after every dive to check the voltage.

    If it only lasted 15 hours, then it could be that it was an old battery. I would expect more than 15 hours even from an LST, but I have only tested the LS.

    In the second part of your question, it sounds like you are talking about the Meg isolation board battery. As I understand it, that battery has a huge capacity and very low current requirement. I suggest you talk to ISC about how to manage that battery. I am quite sure that taking it out after every dive to measure the voltage won't be the recommendation.

    Bruce
    Thanks, I know how to check the computer battery, but have had no answers an the later from ISC I have send a further email to them on this.

  9. #19
    Banned Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Australia, Sunny Sydney
    Posts
    721
    JJ, it rocks!

    Sports KISS

    Re: SHEARWATER ELECTRONICS - Revisions, Issues and Support

    I have only good things to say about my shearwater. Works a bloody beauty!

    I do have one small issue in using the buttons. I find it 'tricky' or even 'finicky' to get cell MV readings when I push both buttons together. It may be my unco-ordination, but they seem to be rather fussy when it comes to both buttons working together.

    Anything but practice needed, Bruce? Slightly less sensitivity with timing comes to mind, but that may well raise other issues I know nothing about.

    cheers

    Andy

  10. #20
    CEO-Shearwater
    bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    720
    rEvo, JJ

    Meg,CCR2000,KISS,Inspo,Dolphin

    Re: SHEARWATER ELECTRONICS - Revisions, Issues and Support

    Andy,

    That's a very good point. Thanks for the opportunity to expand on the issue.

    As some of the early adopters know, we have fiddled with the responsiveness of the buttons. It the early days there was quite a lockout delay between button pushes.

    If you pushed a button, it wouldn't listen again for about half a second. During that time we got quite a few left button failures. Assuming that it wan't a coincidence that we replaced 10 left buttons and no right buttons, we guessed that the buttons weren't behaving as people expected when they were flipping through the menu, and they were pushing harder.

    So we reduced the button lock out time as much as we could while still avoiding double pushes.

    The result is that the timing window to detect both buttons at once is now only about a tenth of a second. It is a bit hard to do, and as you say, it takes practice.

    One tip is that if you hit the right button first, it brings up the first information display. Then if you only hit one or the other button separately, it does nothing if it's the left button and just moves to the next info screen if it's the right button.

    It's not perfect, but it works.

    I'm still pondering what to do about it. I could put the mV display into a menu, but I really like having it available from anywhere.

    Bruce
    The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge.
    http://www.shearwater.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts