+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone still dive a SCR?

RBW Member tursiops47 has a spectacular aura about tursiops47 has a spectacular aura about tursiops47 has a spectacular aura about tursiops47 has a spectacular aura about tursiops47 has a spectacular aura about tursiops47's Avatar
    AP Evo

Anyone still dive a SCR?

In particular, a Dolphin?

Is this a reasonable (time, money) way to move into rebreathers?

Re: Anyone still dive a SCR?

Yes and yes

In the US you can get a used unit for 1-2 K that is in good shape. Training is cheap compared to CCR. You will have less task loading and can take some time to get the basic concepts of breathers.

Working on a heavily modified Dolphin presently. When it is completed there are a number of times it will be the unit of choice over the Meg.

There are a lot of Dolphins out on the market. We average 2-4 deaths a month on CCR's. The Dolphin is one of the oldest recreational units out there and it is rare to hear of a death on one.

Of course there will be others that come along and say hog wash go straight to CCR. I for one believe SCR is a great stepping stone with reduced task loading.

Bobby

RBW Member dmo85471 is an unknown quantity at this point dmo85471's Avatar

Well said bobby and fully agree with what you have to say.
    Me I think that all should start on SCR before going into CCR this way to can learn about rebreathers in a much safer environment. The dolphin is one of the safest units around so is a very good choice to start on. David

Sic Semper Tyrannis NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER's Avatar

Let me first preface my statements by saying there is no male chauvinism intended. On the contrary, I believe that there are women that have made more contributions, than others of the opposite sex, will ever make. Dr. Mel Clark, is the first to come to mind.

Rather, I am speaking to diving experience, willingness to task load, and the overall willingness to take a sport that is fun and take it into something that is more technical and advanced. That is, progressing from something that takes it from; learning a few RDP tables and watching an SPG, to calculating much, much more.

There is a third aspect that was alluded to in the first post, and that is the psychological fear of death with a CCR. I feel that this fear is real and should be respected, those who keep the respect have a greater chance of not making a "diver error" when it comes to a CCR accident.

How does this relate to the OP? These reasons and others are the reason that my wife was reluctant to me getting into the CCR world. She now sees the love and passion I have for these missions I go on (some call it a sport, but the only score that matters is if one lives to play again).

This is why I think that a SCR would be the next natural progression for my wife. The fear is lessoned by the tremendous safety record that a unit like a Dolphin possesses. There will be added benefits that will come with this progression, to include; added confidence in ones abilities, understanding rebreathers and the ability for my wife to enjoy the sport we both came to love in a new light. All of this comes with extended bottom time and me not having to have her surface, take her interval, and descend, finish her second dive and surface with me at the end of my first dive.

So, is it a good choice? Yes
    Are there others who are diving these units without modifications? Yes
    are other OC divers taking this natural progression before CCR's? Absolutely

I think there is something to say about working for something rather than immediate gratification (although I am a hypocrite:))

I hope this was helpful and good luck with which ever choice you make, I am sure with the history of this board, there will be those here to help you along your way in which ever path you choose.

Mark Hilley firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver is just really nice firemandiver's Avatar
    Kiss Sport

Dolphin, Ray, Homebuild

Many, especially the SCR naysayers, will tell you skip the Dolphin and go straight to CCR. As the others said, there are some very dedicated skill sets and a steep learning curve in CCR. Not to mention the sheer $$$ involved in doing it right.

The Dolphin is a reasonably safe unit, easy to learn and understand, and even though it is technilogically dead, it is a very popular unit. You can pick up a nice used one for about a grand or so. Add tanks, electronics, and of course training, and you'll be around $2K - $3K. To do the same thing in CCR you're looking at $6-$10K minimum. Unless you dive every week, or are just filthy rich, that's a lot of money for a hobby you get to do a handful of times each year. I chose the Dolphin for these exact reasons. I love diving the unit. I am in the process of building another Dolphin based homebuild right now.

The unit in stock form has a few quirks, but they are easily overcome. The Dolphin is real nice for what it is. As long as you don't have illusions of going to 500ft deep for 10 hours, in my opinion a Dolphin is a worthwhile endevour.

It all depends on the type of diving you plan to do. Take your time, look around, and ask a lot of questions. Lots of good info and helpful people on this site. Take a look at some of my previous posts for some more info on Dolphins. You'll find a lot of the same questions and answers that everyone has when they first start looking at Dolphins.

Hope this helps. FD:D

I should also add that the mods on the present Dolphin are for fun and over head diving. It will still be SCR and easily recognized as a Dolphin. It will just have a few more options to allow for some off the beaten path types of diving.

The basic design of the unit is very solid and will take anyone getting into rebreathers a long way.

Bobby

Supporting Member GaryB is an unknown quantity at this point GaryB's Avatar
    Poseidon Discovery MKVI

Draeger Dolphin

I just started diving a Dolphin this spring. I took a PADI specialty course a couple of years ago, and always wanted to pursue it. So.... figured the Dolphin was a good place to start, and depending on what I wanted to do with rebreathers, it was worthy of just staying with the Dolphin, or a good stepping off point. The jury is still out on what I want to go with rebreathers. I do enjoy my Dolphin!

Monty Guest montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg's Avatar
    APOCALYPSE #032

Ray, Dolphin, PVR-BASC, IDA-71

FWIW I think nitrox SCRs such as Rays & Dolphins are still a great way to introduce people to diving rebreathers.

They are cheap to buy or rent, and the training is cheap. Plus they come with a built-in depth restriction so few people dive beyond their own and the units' limits.

Also, in the Town and the country I live CCR training is hard to get. There's only one Inspiration MOD1 instructor here, and for anything else you have to get an instructor to travel to you, or you have to travel to a destination where there is an instructor.

Having said that, I think the Drager Nitrox SCRs it is only a stepping stone, and not an end in itself. (Unless the owner is considering an mCCR conversion)

Plus, there is always a demand for these units selling it to upgrade is never a problem.

rgds
    monty

RBW Member rebreatherdiver is an unknown quantity at this point rebreatherdiver's Avatar
    Drager Dolphin

I trained last Easter on a Dolphin SCR while on holiday in Cyprus mainly to add to my diving knowledge.

However I liked the unit and have now bought one adding a OXY2 and Air Z-02 to monitor Fo2 and PPo2. I must say I do prefer it to OC as I usually dive in the 20 -40m range so the unit is great for this type of diving.

I do not intend to go CCR, as it would seem to me, to get best use from such a unit, for example an inspiration, I would need to be diving a lot deeper.
    Last edited by rebreatherdiver; 12th October 2008 at 21:29.

+ Reply to Thread