+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: How many of you started with a used rebreather?

Train Wrecked Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive's Avatar
    rEvo hccr

KISS CLASSIC

Re: How many of you started with a used rebreather?

Hey Jim,

I wouldn't be hard pressed to run this route. If you are finding it hard to make a run to brockville from where you are for the experiance option...well your going to find buying and diving a machine tough on the budget end.

There is no such thing as buying a cheap machine...and getting into it cheap. A rebreather is not a machine to be a nickle rocket on...IMHO

here in ontario I think you really have two options. Inspo...they are delt out in Brockville and have good support. Dave Fowler would be your man. my buddy dives one and a few others I know dive them... ie Warren Lo from the OD board we are on...

your next option would be a KISS and would probably be your best option for a lower maint. machine. if your planning on making a move after racking up a bunch of hours doing deco next summer then come talk to me... my intention is to become an instructor on the KISS by 2010...

There are some other machines around ontario as well. but they start to get limited. Some Megs in Quebec and a couple here. A few Prizm's here and there.

you know me better from OD as

Chris Bell

RBW Member Jimmer is an unknown quantity at this point Jimmer's Avatar

Hey Chris, good to see you. It's not the financial aspect of getting to Brockville, as it is time. I work full time, only been out of college a year, no paid vacation yet, and work most Saturdays in the summer at a part time job, leaving me with night dives and Sundays to dive. If it was a matter of the training course in Brockville, then I would just book off the weekend, and maybe the week from my day job, and just go. But to arrange a rebreather experience, just to try out the unit and see what it is all about, doesn't leave Brockville as a very tempting option, hence why I was looking to see if there is anyone a little closer that instructs for them. So what was it that drew you to the KISS? What are you impressions of the Inspo for great lakes wreck diving use?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Tekdive  View Original Post
    Hey Jim,

I wouldn't be hard pressed to run this route. If you are finding it hard to make a run to brockville from where you are for the experiance option...well your going to find buying and diving a machine tough on the budget end.

There is no such thing as buying a cheap machine...and getting into it cheap. A rebreather is not a machine to be a nickle rocket on...IMHO

here in ontario I think you really have two options. Inspo...they are delt out in Brockville and have good support. Dave Fowler would be your man. my buddy dives one and a few others I know dive them... ie Warren Lo from the OD board we are on...

your next option would be a KISS and would probably be your best option for a lower maint. machine. if your planning on making a move after racking up a bunch of hours doing deco next summer then come talk to me... my intention is to become an instructor on the KISS by 2010...

There are some other machines around ontario as well. but they start to get limited. Some Megs in Quebec and a couple here. A few Prizm's here and there.

you know me better from OD as

Chris Bell

Train Wrecked Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive's Avatar
    rEvo hccr

KISS CLASSIC

A few of my buddies dive inspo's and one of them his wife dives the Evo version of it. They are a good machine for what he is using it for and doing with it. He wanted an eCCR because he shoots photography and when he is doing that he doesn't want to be monitoring PPO2 while setting up for pictures. etc. lets the machien run itself. He uses his HUD and checks his computer a couple times a dive.

With that said he did the Vision upgrade and has well over $10,000 into the machine. But I am just not sold on all the electronics for now. Not my cup of tea so to speak. I don't shoot photography and frankly don't see myself doing it..would be nice but I don't have $2000-4000 to spend on camera equipment as well. It has a large case that I don't like. and a lot more clutter on it then I like.

I am only 5'6" on a tall day. I was not even considering the KISS when I first started looking. But I did want BMCL (back mounted counter lungs) I didn't like the head sticking out of a Donkey's arse look and the bulk of the front counter lungs for someone my size (short) That was one of the first things. I would have liked a rEvo but the lack of people around here with them and the ability to get parts quick. (don't get me wrong I hear Paul takes good care of things and parts get out fairly quick) but KISS is located in Canada and parts can be here next day. As well there are a lot of people diving a KISS around here if I needed and emergency part I might be able to borrow one...

Ontop of that I like the mCCR concept. It will require me to monitor my display's a lot more then my buddies on the Inspo. But I will not require batteries to run the solinoids. The batteries in the hand sets should last quit awhile compared to ones running a solenoid. If one of my batteries crap out. I loose a read out and call a dive.

The KISS has a Bailout valve which I am a fan of. and the kiss is smaller and more compact. for getting into some tighter spaces for me. I will be putting on a HUD and eventually using it for some Cave diving as well.... more recreational cave diving then anything. But I can't see myself trying to fit through some spaces with that GIANT yellow box on my back.

Over all the KISS is a bit more on the simple side with hopefully less maint/cost to run ratio then the Inspo and the initial investement was a bit cheaper. With all these guys on the west coast jumping to rEvo's left right and center.... it has put a lot of nice used CK on the sales block...

I bought mine more locally but my buddy just bought his from a guy in Alberta making a jump to the rEvo.

I keep hearing a lot of info about the Revo, I think I'll have to have a look into that one and see what it's all about. Where are you located Chris? I wouldn't mind going for a dive sometime and check out your breather.

Jim

rEvo hccr

KISS CLASSIC

Still diving OC until I complete my course. I just bumped my course back as another friend bought the same machine and we are working on details now.

I live in Chatham an hour south of london.

You know your helping out at a shop/charter buisness you should look at setting up a rebreather experiance through the shop near you with a pool and open it up to other people...just a thought.
    Last edited by Canadian Tekdive; 1st October 2008 at 15:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Tekdive  View Original Post
    You know your helping out at a shop/charter buisness you should look at setting up a rebreather experiance through the shop near you with a pool and open it up to other people...just a thought.
    Excellent idea, I think I'll talk to my shop owner about getting something arranged.:)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4