+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How many of you started with a used rebreather?

RBW Member Jimmer is an unknown quantity at this point Jimmer's Avatar

How many of you started with a used rebreather?

I've known for a VERY long time that I would end up with a rebreather eventually, and my plan now is to finish my Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures in the spring, get as much OC deco experience as I can before making the move to CCR before Trimix.

So here is the thing, looking at the price of a new Meg or HH, which are the units that interest me the most, that's not going to be an option anytime in the somewhat near future. But I have seen used Inspo's for anywhere from $2800 and up. Would getting a used Inspo and doing my initial training be a good way to get into things after Deco training? Or should I just suck it up and get the unit I want when I can afford it?

Has anyone gone this route and regretted it?

Thanks
    Jim

Stéphane Acounis Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane's Avatar
    rEvo3 rMS

rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

Re: How many of you started with a used rebreather?

Hi Jim,

Mi first rEvo was used (3 years old) and my second rEvo too!
    For both, I knew their owner were very kind with the machines so I bought them with confidence.
    If you can have a look at the machine, or if someone you know who dives with the same machine can have a look at it, go ahead.

RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmer  View Original Post
    I've known for a VERY long time that I would end up with a rebreather eventually, and my plan now is to finish my Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures in the spring, get as much OC deco experience as I can before making the move to CCR before Trimix.

So here is the thing, looking at the price of a new Meg or HH, which are the units that interest me the most, that's not going to be an option anytime in the somewhat near future. But I have seen used Inspo's for anywhere from $2800 and up. Would getting a used Inspo and doing my initial training be a good way to get into things after Deco training? Or should I just suck it up and get the unit I want when I can afford it?

Has anyone gone this route and regretted it?

Thanks
    Jim
    If price is stopping you now then please think of all the costs ahead of you. Cells, sorb, flooded stuff, broken whatever...

I'd love to see the total cost of ownership myself for the various rebreathers. Depending on where you live even shipping can amount to serious dough.

My bet is that a used Jetsam Classic KISS unit is better value for money if you don't need an ECCR. Low maintenance costs are the big bonus (at the cost of the time having to do it all by yourself)...

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Both of mine have been used, the SK is I believe now on to it's 4th owner.
    I minor advantage is the previous owners can often throw in accessories and mods you'd otherwise have to buy.
    Lastly RB's tend to be well looked after in my experience, so 2nd hand isn't at "used" as you might sometimes expect.

RBW Member Jimmer is an unknown quantity at this point Jimmer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy  View Original Post
    If price is stopping you now then please think of all the costs ahead of you. Cells, sorb, flooded stuff, broken whatever...

I'd love to see the total cost of ownership myself for the various rebreathers. Depending on where you live even shipping can amount to serious dough.

My bet is that a used Jetsam Classic KISS unit is better value for money if you don't need an ECCR. Low maintenance costs are the big bonus (at the cost of the time having to do it all by yourself)...
    Price of a new HH or Meg is definetly stopping me, but a used unit for $3500 or so would definetly be doable. I've only been out of school and working full time for approx. 1 year, as a design engineer, so each paycheque goes towards school debts, meaning every month I have a little more and a little more disposable income. By the time I'm done deco pro and adv. nitrox, I'll have most of that debt eliminated.

RBW Member Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy has much to be proud of Dutchy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmer  View Original Post
    Price of a new HH or Meg is definetly stopping me, but a used unit for $3500 or so would definetly be doable. I've only been out of school and working full time for approx. 1 year, as a design engineer, so each paycheque goes towards school debts, meaning every month I have a little more and a little more disposable income. By the time I'm done deco pro and adv. nitrox, I'll have most of that debt eliminated.
    In that case...happy diving ;)

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Hi Jim,

Buy a used one first. The reason I say that is, unit you really see if like diving a breather, all the post & pre dive set up, maintenance and how comfortable you feel diving it. This is a lot different then (OC) in many ways as you know. The bottom line is; there’s a lot more work. I am not trying to discourage you but if you buy a used breather and you deiced you don’t like it, no huge loss except for training.

I purchased my Prism used and got a fair deal. I think used is the way to go buying your first breather. You will find that most all the people that own them are honest and reasonable to deal with and usually take really good care of there equipment.
    I hope this helps you make the right decision what ever you decide.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

I started with a used inspo and took my training on it. Then I upgraded it with a used set of HH electronics. Then I wanted to try BMCL so I got a used Classic Kiss. Then a friend made me a good offer on a used HammerMeg so I am now trying that unit out. I have had good luck with all three used units. I would also point out that I am not afraid to jump in and strip the unit down to pieces and inspect and replace anything that is needed. This was not necessary with the Inspo and HammerMeg but was needed for the Classic Kiss. Doing so certainly helped me to understand fully the workings of the unit but more importantly to have complete confidence in the integrity of the parts within the unit.John

rEvo combat swimmer fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman's Avatar
    rEvo

Orca

My first Rebreather was a AKA 60 (russian) conversion. I learned a lot. Funny thing, by the time I was done it wasn't all that cheap. I would buy a used RB, but remember the training will still cost you, and you might have to redo it if you change units. Also if you have a chance, test drive some units. I payed $100 or so for a demo day where I dove several units in the pool. BMCL vs. OTS, m vs. e--although though thats hard to get a feel for without some depth.
    Lastly see:
    http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=21783
    and
    http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=20552
    Last edited by fireman; 27th September 2008 at 01:53.

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

Bought a used Megalodon and mated it to as much of my OC tech gear as I could. The unit itself was had for a stellar price, as I bought an APECS2.0 model. Over time, I have made some improvements, and now it will probably get a full upgrade to current standards in the next few weeks (sent it out today).

Break it down this way:

Part One - The asset purchase

This is expensive, but no more so that say a motorcycle (if that was an alternative hobby choice). The asset can be ammortized in your mind to depreciate to some floor value at which it should never really go below (say $2500 for shits and giggles). That means if you buy a $6000 used unit, you really only need to factor in $3500 over the live of your diving on it. You should be able to then turn and sell it recouping the $2500 residual value.

Part Two - The consumeables

This is where you really save over OC technical (I'm assuming you aren't buying a Meg to only do recreational dives unless you are a master underwater photographer or something similiar). The cost of gas, sorb, sensors, and batteries will be much less per dive hour than it was for just gas on OC. You will still need all the bottles and regs you had for OC tech, so those are a wash, but, you won't use the gas in them unless all goes to hell.

So, lets say you dive 100 dives per year at 1.5 hours per dive. That is 150 hours underwater every year.

Plan on getting 8 fills per $125 40lb tub of sorb and 3 hours per 5lb fill.

That's 24 hours of diving per $120 tub, or $5 per hour.

Plan on replacing 2 battery packs once every 15 hours at $30 for the 2.

That's $2 per hour.

Plan on replacing the cells at least double what people say is safe (twice a year at $200 for 3 each time).

That's $3 per hour.

I don't know where you get your gas, but I'll give you what I pay. You will have to top a 12 cf of DIL and a 12 CF of O2 for every scrubber fill at $15 total for the two.

That's $5 per hour.

Let's total it up:

Sorb..........$5
    Battery......$2
    Sensor.......$3
    Gas...........$5

Total.........$15 per hour

Annual Consumeables: $2250

Let's say you plan on owning the Meg for 5 years, so you amortize $3500 over that timeframe, or $700 per year.

So, true cost per year is:

Consumeables........$2250
    Asset.....................$700

Total Annual Cost...$3000
    Total Cost per Hr....$20

If you are spending more than $20 per hour or $3000 per year to do OC technical dives, then rebreather will be less expensive to own.

I forgot to mention training. I'd plan on $1500 to $2000 for MOD1 depending on where you live. Training is sunk cost, because you can't sell it, and it is only good for the model you own. You could lump it in with the amortized cost of the unit, but I don't. The reason is, if you buy another down the line, the cert is still good. Think of it like adding a good helmet, riding leathers, boots, gloves, etc... that $12000 motorcycle you may have bought instead of the rebreather.
    Last edited by mempilot; 27th September 2008 at 00:01.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast