+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scrubber

RBW Member aqua2dive is an unknown quantity at this point aqua2dive's Avatar
    prism

Scrubber

Radial -vs- Axial Scrubber- Pro's And Con's ??... Thanks...

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Re: Scrubber

You might want to invest some of your time using the search function and reading some of the posts on this topic as it has been discussed and touched upon numerous times in the past.

John

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by aqua2dive  View Original Post
    Radial -vs- Axial Scrubber- Pro's And Con's ??... Thanks...
    in general (but this is not a rule)

for a given volume, using granular sorb, the radial has less WOB, but is more costly to construct and a bit mor time to fill correctly

scrubber duration is dependent on many other factors than just radial/axial

in general (again), for smal volumes, axial, for big volumes, radial

paul

ps: please put your name under your title, easier to talk to persons with names
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

Pros and Cons from simple terms:

Axial Pros:

Typically less costly to fill (tend to be smaller)
    Easy to fill
    Cheaper to buy/replace

Axial Cons:

Typically, less duration
    Not as flood tolerant in some designs
    Can have higher WOB

Radial Pros:

Extended durations in most cases
    More flood tolerant
    Don't have to refill as often (think liveaboard)
    Lower WOB usually

Radial Cons:

Heavy (hold more sorb in most cases)
    Expensive compared to axial scrubbers
    Harder to fill (more time consuming)
    Waste sorb if not used for rated time (What if you only do 2 hours of diving?)

If you are planning on doing extended range dives over, say 3 to 4 hours or more, or you do a lot of liveaboard type diving, or you plan to travel to destinations where sorb isn't readily available, I'd consider going with a radial.

If you do most of your diving local and in the realm of under 3 hour dives, then an axial works fine.

That aside, if you do working dives, you may want to consider a radial as well for the lower WOB.

I think small radials are a great tool. You get most of the advantage, without wasting sorb if you aren't doing expedition diving.

I typically will spend 4 hours in warm water on a given span of two days. The axial scrubber in my Meg works fine for that. If I was going to do a liveaboard, I'd consider buying the radial for it so I wouldn't have to change the scrubber as often. However, this is a whole other topic worth reading about.

RBW Member Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M will become famous soon enough Edvin M's Avatar
    Homebuilt

I decided to use a smallish radial(2.5 liters) in my homebuilt over a axial for a couple of reasons.
    • First, more flood tolerant. I have a flow from the outside-in with a kitchen wipes in the bottom of the scrubber outer pipe so any water coming from the exhale side wont come in contact with the granules.
    • Second, WOB, I really don't notice any breathing resistance at all in my loop except for my Dräger FGT DSV which really sucks, as soon as I figure out how to make O-ring groves on that is bent on round tube(hard do describe) I will make a new better one with larger internal bore.
    • Third, extended scrubber time, since it's a homebuilt and I can't afford real testing of the scrubber, any extra safety margin a quite valuable. My current scrubber holds exactly 2.5 liter granules(half a bottle of Spherasorb, smart huh?) and I dive it for 3 hours. Should give me a quite good safety limit.
    • Cooler Lets face it, a radial scrubber is simply much cooler that a "normal" axial.
    The cons as I see it is: More expensive and the overall size is bigger. But the choice is quite clear to me. Radial

RBW Member rian jordaan will become famous soon enough rian jordaan will become famous soon enough rian jordaan will become famous soon enough rian jordaan's Avatar

paul
    Does this also mean that the one design will use more weight to get your boyancy right?

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by rian jordaan  View Original Post

paul
    Does this also mean that the one design will use more weight to get your boyancy right?
    for the same amount of sorb, the radial takes a bit more place, but that should not make a big difference in boyance ( for the rEvo it's neglectable)

paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...