+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diving a rebreather while cruising full time

RBW Member grunzster is an unknown quantity at this point grunzster's Avatar
    Not diving bubbless, no plans to in the future, and trying to cut back on web use, so no longer here

Diving a rebreather while cruising full time

Has anyone ever done it?
    Is it even possible...from a small boat?
    Or is it going to be REALLY expensive and/or a huge PITA?

Here are my concerns:
    1: Availability and cost of sorb worldwide, especially in more remote locations. There's a BIG difference between doing a live aboard for a week or two and being anchored in the middle of nowhere for possibly months at a time.

If traveling someplace where sorb isn't available, you'd either have to bring a ton of it with you. That's a lot of weight and space that I can't afford. Not to mention, even though there will be AC on board it isn't going to be running 24x7. Don't really think sorb likes being stored a marine environment long term. Which would mean option 2, constantly having it shipped in, which could be REALLY expensive.

2: Is the extra work to dive the unit really worth the benefits, when you can just strap a tank on and jump of the back of the boat at a moments notice? Is the extra time in the water really worth the effort, if you're going to be in a location for possibly months at a time? Even without a breather, you could dive the same sites until you're sick of them.

3: Once again is it worth the extra work to dive the unit, with the high potential of doing more shallower dives? Even many OC cruisers find that they wind up doing a lot more free diving and their tanks collect dust.

As much as I hate diving air, I'm really starting to think having a compressor on board would be a much better option.
    Last edited by grunzster; 16th September 2008 at 00:37.

Re: Diving a rebreather while cruising full time

I am not sure if I have exactly what you are trying to do. Are you going out on a boat the does not have a compressor and wanting to extend dives between fills? Or will you have a compressor? When I was working on a live aboard I never brought a breather on it. I did as much free diving as I did jumping in with a cylinder. I did a few dives to farther depths but I just side mounted and took a few quickly rigged stages when needed. More of use what you have around you type of approach. When out on extended cruises without a compressor the breather can be a good way to extend your diving options. There you would have to balance Sorb shipments with putting in a compressor. If you have to stop for gas fills from time to time though you can also have sorb shipped. Hope that helps though I am still not sure what you are looking at. Bobby

Not diving bubbless, no plans to in the future, and trying to cut back on web use, so no longer here

Cruising on my own 34' cat.

Possibly going to have a compressor on board.

Banned Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn's Avatar
    Apoc

Drager

If your going to be in a remote location for an extended period on a 34 footer, sorb is but one issue, also consider:
    - Availability of Oxygen & need for a mini booster to make use of limited quantities. Perhaps store in scuba sized cylinders rather then take a G, refill your own storage cylinders if no O2 booster ashore.
    - Reliability of CCR electronics
    - Replacement O2 cells
    - Corrosion if you can't wash it in freshwater
    - Amount & location of storage space
    - Bailout to carry
    - Buddy for rescue, if no buddy consider FFM or Gag strap on DSV!

If you have room for a small compressor a small twinset BP&W might be your simple answer for some slightly extended underwater duration.

If you are still looking @ a CCR, look for one that is reliable, modular yet simple, the rEvo may be suitable (also consider something like Sports/Classic KISS):
    - not massive
    - easy to clean
    - simple design, easy field serviced.
    - With the Shearwater mod, apparently a robust & reliable integrated PPo2 display
    - Easy to ship the common breakable parts in small packages if something fails.

Also perhaps consider all of the dive shops where you are cruising that stock parts or support CCR diving, if there are none that might simplify the decision.

Enjoy your travels,

regards
    Brad

hell is in the details Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T's Avatar
    JOKI/rEVO/HOME MADE

EDO04 Ray

As you certainly noticed the bigest problem in diving from a sailing boat is the possibility to have your boat safe near a dive spot.
    So the main tool and limit for diving frequently is in having a very good RIB...possible on a 34 cat..if not yo are limited to shallow dives and rebreather dont help.
    That said Ive tested the possibility to dive from a 34 ( not a cat )with a modified RAY ccr, with just a two liter o2 but mounted and a 6l side mounted.
    Thats do the job and its easy to store in different part of the boat, but thats worth the price if you have NO compressor, thats allow you to do several "serious" dives with few air.
    If you have a compressor IMHO thats dont worth the price at all.
    But does having a compressor worth the price? even a small "Komptec" is not so easy to protect and use aboard.
    Im convinced that sailing and diving dont go very well together bit Im able to freedive easily in 15 to 20 m and with few training eveybody is able to do 15 m IMHO.

So short response is no thats dont worth the pain and price

Guess I should have mentioned this in the original post:

I actually have a Classic KISS.
    So the question isn't should I buy, but is it time to sell?

Have thought about a lot of those other issues Brad brought up too.
    1: Yeah I can see O2 availability being a problem too
    2: Electronics I don't see being an issue with the KISS, worst case I don't dive...or dive OC while waiting for a new display to get shipped to me. Not like I'm on a dive trip that will be ruined by that, as I can stay at any location as long as I want.
    3: It's easy to carry plenty of extra sensors on board
    4: May not get to rinse too thoroughly, but I will have a water maker on board
    5: Storage I see being the biggest issue, as well as weight on a cat. I still see availability of sorb being one of the biggest issues. I don't think it would even be possible to carry enough if going somewhere for a length of time where it's not easily available
    6: Bail out, I have 2 80s and a 40, and they won't need fills unless they're needed
    7: I guess cruising full time there is going to be a potential for solo diving, def don't want to do that on the KISS

Also, am I even going to be all that concerned about getting extended bottom time, being that I'm going to be living on the water and able to dive just about every day? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad_Horn  View Original Post
    Also perhaps consider all of the dive shops where you are cruising that stock parts or support CCR diving, if there are none that might simplify the decision.

Enjoy your travels,

regards
    Brad
    that will be tough to do, because once I get out full time, it's going to be more of a question of where I won't be cruising...which is going to be a very short list.

+ Reply to Thread