+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where do you start?

RBW Member ericfine50 is on a distinguished road ericfine50 is on a distinguished road ericfine50's Avatar

Where do you start?

Ok Dumb question

But, where do you start? There is so much out there. Anyone have any recommendations or a starting point?

thanks

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Re: Where do you start?

Quote Originally Posted by ericfine50
    Anyone have any recommendations or a starting point?
    To do what...
    • Chose an unit ?
    • Chose a training agency ?
    • Chose an instructor ?

RBW Writer DaveB is on a distinguished road DaveB is on a distinguished road DaveB's Avatar

Always happy to offer advice, without any garentee that is worth anything. However, a bit of infomation about your situation would help. Are you a diver?, how long? what do you want to do in the future?

Confectioner to N@90 Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou's Avatar

Hi Eric :)

Start at the beginning is a good place ;)

Ron Micjan's article 'What is a Rebreather and Do I Want One?' is a good place to get a few questions answered.

Although, the first question you have to ask yourself is why do YOU want one even DO you want one?

:D

RBW Member ericfine50 is on a distinguished road ericfine50 is on a distinguished road ericfine50's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie
    To do what...
    • Chose an unit ?
    • Chose a training agency ?
    • Chose an instructor ?
    Hi Phi,

Unit: Probablly Meg
    Agency??
    Inst??

Thanks for the article suggestion.

Dave - Yes, I am a diver for 10 years. Norhteast and New England waters are where I dive. Why? When I can do it - seems like the next step and a lot off added benefit for cold water diving.

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Unit: Probablly Meg
    Agency??
    Inst??
    Eric,

Sorry, I don't know a lot about Meg specifics...

I believe that IANTD is the only training agency for that unit (?) since they seem to have a training program for all of the available units.

Don't know who all are instructors for the Meg. Of the people whom I normally would recommend, they are either too far from you or don't dive a Meg.

Thanks - What are you using now? EDO?

Thanks - What are you using now? EDO?
    I sold the XCR last year along with the CK and MK-15.

Only have the Evolution, SK, Classic Inspiration and a couple of "eternal-project" units left...
    Last edited by decoweenie; 18th November 2005 at 20:56. Reason: misspell

Eric,

Start be reading Jeff Bozanic's book Mastering or Understanding Rebreathers (the title difference depends on if you buy it from IANTD or from somewhere else...the content is the same. I have a copy of both if you're looking for one)

Second, do what you're doing - ask questions from the owners. Also from people who have used at least one other rebreather. Those of us who own or have used only one are going to be at least a little biased and misinformed. Tom Huff is a great guy to talk to in your area.

Third, recognize that there is no perfect rebreather. Manufacturers make choices. Some of the choices impact other elements of the unit. Picking a unit is a lot like picking the elements that are most important to you and either living with or modifying those that don't fit your idea of a perfect rebreather.

As mentioned, I'm happy to answer any questions I can, but there are people here who know quite a bit more than I do...

T

Thanks Trob,

Always looking for new books to read :) Sometimes you start a search and the information overwhelems you.

Phi - Good luck with the external projects. Nice list of RBs there.

take care

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast