+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strange Reaction...

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Strange Reaction...

Had a bit of a strange one yesterday...

Nice, easy dive to 65m, about 25min of bottom time in cold water (about 6degC). Long(ish) deco as I'd been using a fairly low set-point, 0.8 on 14/60 dil (once the PO2 from the descent had burnt off) for the bottom, O2 flush at 6m, total run time was 95min. The dive went without any incident, everything worked perfectly (oooooh I love my Mk15!!!).

Afterwards, within a few minutes of coming out, my throat/upper chest was full of congestion (clearish snot-type) and I was sounding like a 60 a day smoker. I was coughing, wheezing and hawking out gobs of snot for the rest of the day. Today, gone completely, nothing to show for it.

My first thought yesterday was that I was getting a cold but I've got no symptoms today at all nor did I have any other cold/flu-like signs. Soooo... what was the mystery reaction?

Was it (a) the 27min of oxygen at 6m despite being at 0.8 for most of the dive? With offgassing the loop was at 1.4 for most of the 6m stop anyway and I did a few minutes low PO2 break in the middle as well. I've done O2 stops loads longer than that anyway. My throat and chest did feel not unlike how I felt after my chamber treatment a few years ago though, very irritable. However I never had the snot after the chamber, the congestion was new.

Was it (b), there was some condensate/drool in the loop hoses, I could feel spray hitting the back of my throat towards the end of 6m stop and it was bloody cold. Could breathing the cold and damp loop caused it? I was getting a bit coughy towards the end when I was inhaling the cold spray.

Is it (c), I'm about to get hit by a cold and this aggravated it?

Or (d), other. I don't tend to disinfect my loop, just rinse with water. My KISS never even got that good a treatment and in 3.5yrs was always OK.

I've never had such an extreme reaction, no history of breathing problems (I was a dormant TB carrier as a teenager so had lung checks for years), in fact on my last lung function check a few months ago I was scoring so high they had to redo it three times to confirm. It went as quickly as it came and apart from being a bit sore from coughing it's fine. Never had anything like it before.

Cheers,

Stuart
    Last edited by lizardland; 1st September 2008 at 23:39.

Nutty dentist - uwdriller divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov is a glorious beacon of light divelermentov's Avatar
    homebuilder

rEvo powered inspo

Re: Strange Reaction...

i have similar symptoms form time to time when i feel a cold coming up just prior to diving, always cough heaps up after the dive and the cold is gone.

cant tell you what it is, but always thought that i coul dhave something to do with hyperbaric oxygen.

Banned Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del's Avatar
    JJ, it rocks!

Sports KISS

Quote Originally Posted by lizardland  View Original Post
    Had a bit of a strange one yesterday...

Afterwards, within a few minutes of coming out, my throat/upper chest was full of congestion (clearish snot-type) and I was sounding like a 60 a day smoker. I was coughing, wheezing and hawking out gobs of snot for the rest of the day. Today, gone completely, nothing to show for it.

I could feel spray hitting the back of my throat towards the end of 6m stop and it was bloody cold. Could breathing the cold and damp loop caused it? I was getting a bit coughy towards the end when I was inhaling the cold spray.
    I'd think about the cold water spray and look for some sort of leak in the loop that allows cold seawater in... your reaction may have been due to saltwater inhalation.

cheers

Andy

RBW Member S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc's Avatar
    Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by lizardland  View Original Post
    ... everything worked perfectly (oooooh I love my Mk15!!!).

What kind of absorbant pads were you using in the center section ?

New, foam, felt, just cleaned?

Marc
    Last edited by S. Marc; 2nd September 2008 at 03:39.

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Del  View Original Post
    I'd think about the cold water spray and look for some sort of leak in the loop that allows cold seawater in... your reaction may have been due to saltwater inhalation.

cheers

Andy
    It was freshwater but I did think about water inhalation. I know cold spray hitting the back of the throat can cause reactions and the congestion was deeper down, not throaty like a cold but chesty like a smoker (I don't smoke). Loop is pretty well solid, it held negative pressure like a Leith tart and when I had the centre section out a few days earlier it was a solid positive too. It's not a good look but I drool a lot on deco :) and if I'm horizontal it ends up in the DSV.

Quote Originally Posted by S. Marc  View Original Post
    What kind of absorbant pads were you using in the center section ?

New, foam, felt, just cleaned?

Marc
    Felt-type material as used in travel towels, both new. Top pad was bone dry, bottom one wasn't any damper than normal. They had been washed in water and dried prior to assembly.

Cheers,

Stuart

Steve C UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve's Avatar

hi there.. a productive cough is one of the symptoms of salt water aspiration syndrome...

see below

Saltwater Aspiration Syndrome

Dont know how much of this rings true..

Steve
    (Peeved at not being on AM's list of people passionate about safety )

CK#69 David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye is a jewel in the rough David Pye's Avatar

Hmm, when I've had something similar, I did wonder if it was due to me aspirating some sofnolime dust. However well you dust it, there must always be a little bit and something that alkaline must be pretty irritating.

Another fear of mine is that over a long period (many years) the sofnolime dust might cause something like emphysema etc ...

David

RBW Member G4SSG is an unknown quantity at this point G4SSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Pye  View Original Post
    Hmm, when I've had something similar, I did wonder if it was due to me aspirating some sofnolime dust. However well you dust it, there must always be a little bit and something that alkaline must be pretty irritating.

Another fear of mine is that over a long period (many years) the sofnolime dust might cause something like emphysema etc ...

David
    hi
    is it possible to get dust in 100 % humididty
    martyn

Quote Originally Posted by UKSteve  View Original Post
    hi there.. a productive cough is one of the symptoms of salt water aspiration syndrome...

see below

Saltwater Aspiration Syndrome

Dont know how much of this rings true..

Steve
    (Peeved at not being on AM's list of people passionate about safety )
    Only really the cough and snot part. None of the others, in fact I remember thinking I felt more chipper than usual and was wondering to myself if that had been related to the low SP/high helium combo. No fatigue, shivering anything like that. And it was freshwater too.

I'm still tending towards it being along those lines though, I do think breathing the cold vapour for a while is possibly the prime suspect. I remember thinking on the bottom how cold it was because the inhale was still freezing after passing through the scrubber. My physics is shite but I seem to remember that spray can cause a lot of chilling.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pye  View Original Post

David
    I don't think it could be dust, the Mk15's scrubber cartridge has a membrane between the lime and the flow holes. I've felt the lime dust cough when filling my CK scrubber indoors, this was different. I have also wondered about the long term effects of exposure to lime dust.

Quote Originally Posted by G4SSG  View Original Post
    hi
    is it possible to get dust in 100 % humididty
    martyn
    You would think not, we use water sprayers for dust control on some of our sites. OTOH I was always surprised how much I used to get in the head of my KISS so it must be possible. In the end I fitted some Inspiration scrims to the top filter which cut it down.

RBW Member S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc is a jewel in the rough S. Marc's Avatar
    Revo II Micro and BMR500

Classic Kiss

Sounds like a silly question, but your MK15 has a porex type material in the scrubber right?

Have you cleaned this? I know on all the Biopak Scrubbers I have, the porex discs were dirty / dusty, and required a good soak and blasting with clean air to clean and dry them.

Marc

+ Reply to Thread