+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: BIKINI Atoll - How bad do you want to go?

New Member petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

BIKINI Atoll - How bad do you want to go?

I was just looking into organising a trip to Bikini and just wanted to "test the waters" With no airline or boats operating in the area I will be chartering a 70m ship and sailing it to Majuro from New Zealand. This will be a rebreather only trip as the logistics alone for breathers are bad enough. Will be shipping over a ton of sorb, buying 30 sets of breather tanks, organising over 150m3 of O2, Helium, 2 x compressors, 70 deco tanks, 5 tenders to dive off, recompression chamber on board, hyperbaric physician and chamber operator etc. So basically all you have to do is just turn up with your breather and personal gear.
    Will look at basing out of Majuro where people will fly in. It is 430nmiles to Bikini which will take a little over 24 hours steaming there and the same back. 14 days diving the wrecks, then back.

I have costed it out to be us$10K ex Majuro.
    includes:
    all travel too and from Bikini return to Majuro
    all diving
    all food
    all accom
    all tank hire (deco and breather tanks)

extras:
    flights to Majuro (marshall Islands)
    sorb $13/kg
    O2 ($0.04c/l)
    Helium ($0.16c/l)

I really look forward to any comments, serious voices of interest. Something of this magnitude is only dooable if people think there is value in spending the money!! for the sheer fact that we will be accommodating 30 breather divers with full breather support.

There will be two chefs on board the vessell with 23 russian ships crew and about 15 dive crew.

Time of year to go? TBC But might be round mid march to july. 2009.

So is there anyone out there keen?????

If you are please can you email me on info@petemesley.com and send me some details of yourself. many thanks.

Pete
    Dive T.E.C. main home page
    Last edited by petemes; 30th August 2008 at 00:58. Reason: update info

RBW Member doug allen is on a distinguished road doug allen is on a distinguished road doug allen's Avatar

Re: BIKINI Atoll - How bad do you want to go?

Count me In....

Doug Allen
    336-672-1035, ext 237

Unbanned cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn's Avatar

That's not really a bad price. The Bikini folks were looking at almost $3000 for a week plus airfare from Majuro to Bikini. So for two weeks this is really only about a 140% price increase, which considering you get chamber access isn't too bad.

I would rather have a single price that includes sorb and gas. It seams hard to imagine an extra flat fee for consumables will be that much extra compared to the overall cost.

Well I guess what I would really like is to have the 10 kilobucks that would allow me to worry about it.

So for any gear manufacturers out there, the space on my yellow box is availble for sponser's logos, for a nominal fee. :D

Unbanned cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn's Avatar

What's the non diver price ?

RBW Member sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330's Avatar
    Who cares

A few

Quote Originally Posted by petemes  View Original Post
    I was just looking into organising a trip to Bikini and just wanted to "test the waters" With no airline or boats operating in the area I will be chartering a 70m ship and sailing it to Majuro from New Zealand. This will be a rebreather only trip as the logistics alone for breathers are bad enough. Will be shipping over a ton of sorb, buying 30 sets of breather tanks, organising over 150m3 of O2, Helium, 2 x compressors, 70 deco tanks, 5 tenders to dive off, recompression chamber on board, hyperbaric physician and chamber operator etc. So basically all you have to do is just turn up with your breather and personal gear.
    Will look at basing out of Majuro where people will fly in. It is 430nmiles to Bikini which will take a little over 24 hours steaming there and the same back. 14 days diving the wrecks, then back.

I have costed it out to be us$10K ex Majuro.
    includes:
    all travel too and from Bikini return to Majuro
    all diving
    all food
    all accom
    all tank hire (deco and breather tanks)

extras:
    flights to Majuro (marshall Islands)
    sorb $13/kg
    O2 ($0.04c/l)
    Helium ($0.16c/l)

I really look forward to any comments, serious voices of interest. Something of this magnitude is only dooable if people think there is value in spending the money!! for the sheer fact that we will be accommodating 30 breather divers with full breather support.

There will be two chefs on board the vessell with 23 russian ships crew and about 15 dive crew.

Time of year to go? TBC But might be round mid march to july. 2009.

So is there anyone out there keen?????

Pete
    Dive T.E.C. main home page
    Is that 10K to hire the boat or 10K/person?

New Member petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Quote Originally Posted by cramerdn  View Original Post
    That's not really a bad price. The Bikini folks were looking at almost $3000 for a week plus airfare from Majuro to Bikini. So for two weeks this is really only about a 140% price increase, which considering you get chamber access isn't too bad.

I would rather have a single price that includes sorb and gas. It seams hard to imagine an extra flat fee for consumables will be that much extra compared to the overall cost.

Well I guess what I would really like is to have the 10 kilobucks that would allow me to worry about it.

So for any gear manufacturers out there, the space on my yellow box is availble for sponser's logos, for a nominal fee. :D
    I guess we could work out a single cost for consumables - one fill a day 14 days = X amount of sorb, but then with the per rata idea you only pay for what you use.
    Finding the money isnt normally the challenge - its paying it back that causes the headaches!!!

Pete

Inspo Vision

Quote Originally Posted by sensor330  View Original Post
    Is that 10K to hire the boat or 10K/person?
    Thanks mate, I havent laughed that hard in ages! Just to clarify. its $10,000.00 per person for 14 days diving.

Pete

RBW Member zoo_diver will become famous soon enough zoo_diver will become famous soon enough zoo_diver will become famous soon enough zoo_diver's Avatar

my cheese must really stink because 10k is a loud of change! 14 days is a good run though. do read that to be 14 diving days or a 14 day total trip?

Inspo Vision

Quote Originally Posted by zoo_diver  View Original Post
    my cheese must really stink because 10k is a loud of change! 14 days is a good run though. do read that to be 14 diving days or a 14 day total trip?
    Yeah its not the cheapest way to get to Bikini! but we are totally prepared for breather divers. You will be fed well, dive hard, and have the best time.
    This is 14 days diving. SO round 18 days in total! good time to work on your tan on the way back.

Pete

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zoo_diver  View Original Post
    By comparison, a two week trip to Bikini and Truk was ~10K, figure a travel day or two around it as well... this was 2 years ago...

Tack on another grand or two for the flight to Majuro, and it's in the vicinity of expectations...

I'm wondering how they're going to address the guide situation.... historically all OC... because I doubt the local gov't would simply let 30 'breathers off to do their own thing unsupervised....

Most people need a year or two to pull together a trip of this magnatude, in $$$ and saved vaca.... if your going to travel half way around the globe, might as well pull all the stops out and spend the quality time....

I'd be interested in a future trip... 09 is just aggressive for me...

-Tim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast