+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SportKISS length and plumbing questions...

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

SportKISS length and plumbing questions...

Hi All,

Looking for some pearls of wisdom from the collective....

So I've had my SK for a few months now and liking it very much.
    I've reached the point where I want to be carrying abit of bailout, I've been either diving without (full dil bottle and an OC buddy) or one of my ali 10's sideslung, which ain't exactly slick!

I want to make some kind of "foot" to aid kitting up/comfort in water (I'm 6ft 2") and lastly to sort out the Diluent plumbing issue (as standard there isn't enough outlets on the 1st stage for drysuit, inflator hose AND KISS without turning it into a spiders web of hoses)

(First off- I know messing with SK "neat tidy small" principle seems anti-KISS but I didn't buy a SK for the travel packing ability so lets not worry that I might be making it bigger, heavier and "slightly" less- Simple Stupid ;)
    I already have standard 3ltr rocket launcher appearance tanks so I look pretty simple and stupid already...)

It has occurred to me that I might be able to kill all three birds with one stone by adding a foot to the KISS that accommodates a 2ltr/dumpy 3ltr cylinder then by running both dil tanks into a manifold (much like the CK or Evolution Diluent manifold which would have sufficient outlets for all my desires!)

Pros-
    1. More diluent/some bailout (remember I'm not diving the Britannic here so lets not fret about quantities overly)
    2. All diluent accessible to RB, OC bailout mouthpiece, ADV and inflators
    3. everything "onboard" (I'm used to twin 15's so this will still be like carrying nothing at all!)
    4. Can kit up seated without bizarre upturned tortoise style movements

Cons- (or in this case, the questions I'm still pondering, wondering if this would work...)
    1. Balance- too much weight low down- LESS comfortable rather than more so? (I know a few people have tried the foot solution- any feedback would be welcome)
    2. Plumbing- Can you plumb two regs into a manifold from the 1st stages low pressure ports and get a working result? (safely)
    Will the one with the slightly higher IP drain first then the other kick in or would the drain equally (or carefully set them up the same?), would it be wise to only have one turned on at a time or to have them unpluggable and be able to switch between the two?

Just mulling my options really, look forward to hearing your thoughts.....

BEN

New Member WBA is an unknown quantity at this point WBA's Avatar

Re: SportKISS length and plumbing questions...

Ben, have a look in the KISS gallery under "a longer sportkiss". It's been done, here's a link to one of the photos: http://www.rebreatherworld.com/galle....php?i=803&c=4

Cheers

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field
    Hi All,

Looking for some pearls of wisdom from the collective....

So I've had my SK for a few months now and liking it very much.
    I've reached the point where I want to be carrying abit of bailout, I've been either diving without (full dil bottle and an OC buddy) or one of my ali 10's sideslung, which ain't exactly slick!

I want to make some kind of "foot" to aid kitting up/comfort in water (I'm 6ft 2") and lastly to sort out the Diluent plumbing issue (as standard there isn't enough outlets on the 1st stage for drysuit, inflator hose AND KISS without turning it into a spiders web of hoses)

(First off- I know messing with SK "neat tidy small" principle seems anti-KISS but I didn't buy a SK for the travel packing ability so lets not worry that I might be making it bigger, heavier and "slightly" less- Simple Stupid ;)
    I already have standard 3ltr rocket launcher appearance tanks so I look pretty simple and stupid already...)

It has occurred to me that I might be able to kill all three birds with one stone by adding a foot to the KISS that accommodates a 2ltr/dumpy 3ltr cylinder then by running both dil tanks into a manifold (much like the CK or Evolution Diluent manifold which would have sufficient outlets for all my desires!)

Pros-
    1. More diluent/some bailout (remember I'm not diving the Britannic here so lets not fret about quantities overly)
    2. All diluent accessible to RB, OC bailout mouthpiece, ADV and inflators
    3. everything "onboard" (I'm used to twin 15's so this will still be like carrying nothing at all!)
    4. Can kit up seated without bizarre upturned tortoise style movements

Cons- (or in this case, the questions I'm still pondering, wondering if this would work...)
    1. Balance- too much weight low down- LESS comfortable rather than more so? (I know a few people have tried the foot solution- any feedback would be welcome)
    2. Plumbing- Can you plumb two regs into a manifold from the 1st stages low pressure ports and get a working result? (safely)
    Will the one with the slightly higher IP drain first then the other kick in or would the drain equally (or carefully set them up the same?), would it be wise to only have one turned on at a time or to have them unpluggable and be able to switch between the two?

Just mulling my options really, look forward to hearing your thoughts.....

BEN

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by WBA
    Ben, have a look in the KISS gallery under "a longer sportkiss". It's been done, here's a link to one of the photos: http://www.rebreatherworld.com/galle....php?i=803&c=4
    Thanks, I have seen that though... I have similar plans, although I was thinking of mounting my "foot" off the backplate and leaving the SK case unmolested... I happen to have sourced some stainless bar stock of the right diametre which should fold/bend into a neat little "cage" style foot.

Good as the pics are I would like some feedback on performance- balance/trim etc. and of course the plumbing issue.

BEN

No bubbles photo anny is an unknown quantity at this point anny's Avatar

Hi,

the box is totally unmolested, not an extra hole made. I am only "hooking into" the existing holes of the box.

The rest is held with the bolts for the plate.

The reason for having a "box at the bottom" was that the steel was to thin and not stable enough. If I would build another one I would only build an L-shape either with thicker stainless steel or with some kind of metal rods.

In the water I think its great, a bit heavy as I'm using a 2l 300 bar steel bootle. But I fixed the trim with some top weights.

The length is great when gitting into and out of the harness. It also rests better at the end of my back.

I have done aprox 30 hours with it and I think its great.

NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Thanks Anders,

What did you do with regards to plumbing the second dil bottle in... did you use a manifold, quick-connectors or are you just using it for suit/wing seperately or something?

BEN

No bubbles photo anny is an unknown quantity at this point anny's Avatar

Hi Ben,

I just use it for drysuit and also for bailout as it has a separate reg to it.

Good enough when doing shallower dives, say to max 20 meters something.

Normally I carry a 5 liter stage when going deeper.

+ Reply to Thread