+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm only doing this cos they told me

RBW Member JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes's Avatar

I'm only doing this cos they told me

Hi, new to Rebreatherworld so just a quick hi. I'm trying to evaluate whether to undertake a rebreather course or not. Not sure rebreathers are for me at this stage in my evolution/training/experience or lack thereof. Please tolerate an ignoramus in the interim. Thanks (and hi again), John

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

Re: I'm only doing this cos they told me

We are going to need a bit more detail than that to help because writing completely generalised advice is a book not a forum post. Can I ask why on earth would you think you want a rebreather? Most people get on quite well without one.

PS:
    Brighton? So you're blown out again too? <sulk>

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Glad that you took my advice and signed up. All of the RB information that you will ever need is right here on these postings.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are many members here that will be glad to help you out.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by nigelh  View Original Post
    We are going to need a bit more detail than that to help because writing completely generalised advice is a book not a forum post. Can I ask why on earth would you think you want a rebreather? Most people get on quite well without one.

PS:
    for starters, his buddy just got one. He is gathering information at this point.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes has a spectacular aura about JClynes's Avatar

Well, I was just saying hi as directed by registration instructions while I worked my way around the joint. Anyhow, to get to the point.

My buddy, who has done a rebreather course suggested I follow suit. Main immediate reason was for going to Cocos Island. Apparently OC bubbles can cause task loading in hammerheads so I wanted to spare them the stress and get a better and longer time looking and photo'ing these marvellous animals.

He's also in the process of setting up a dive shop (in Thailand) and I hope in the next 2 to 3 years spend more time with him out there and dive with him more and I know he'll be keen we have the ability to dive on rebreathers.

So there's the motivations.

However, since checking out some material on the internet, I've been leaning towards my sticking to OC for the time being as I don't believe I'm competent enough yet to dive rebreathers. A lot of the accident reports on Inspirations that I've read over the last couple of days were by divers infinitely more competent and experienced than me so I feel I would be arrogant, not to mention stupid, to think that I'm at a level where what happened to them wouldn't happen to me.

However, I've also read that most of the incidents I was reading about were in the nineties and that training and technology has come along a lot since then so I am trying to make an informed decision about whether rebreathers are for me at this point. My buddy, who errs very much on the side of caution, seems to think they are. I'm more of a risk taker, and I'm not so sure they are.

And yes, a little breezy down here in Brighton at the moment - been desperate this summer, everything getting canned cos of the wind.

Any advice gratefully received. John

p.s. I'm PADI AOW and NItrox 1 and 2 certified with around 100 logged dives. I will be doing my resuce course in the next month or so. Some places I've dived have been challenging (to a relative novice like me), most have not. That said, I'm calm under pressure and have had the opportunity underwater to find this out but I'm a very long way away in my opinion of everything OC coming like second nature. And seems like rebreathers are for ppl who havem totally mastered OC rec and tec diving. Altho I am speaking from a position of ignorance so please be gentle with my assumptions - I'm just here to find out whether I can safely learn to be a rebreather diver now or whether I should wait a couple of years.

RBW Member PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2's Avatar

Hello,

Standard Questions:

1) What type of diving do you do? Purpose, depth, time, region, water conditions.

2) What have you heard that you like and dislike about Rebreathers? Open Circuit?

Sincerely,

Paul
    Paul's first law states that the safety of an activity is determined by how forgiving of mistakes the activity is.

Paul's second law states that the difference between an adventurer and an explorer is whether the doing or the learning comes first.

"Don't be surprised if at the center of every hurricane in your life is an "I"." --paul gernhardt

1) What type of diving do you do? Purpose, depth, time, region, water conditions.

Purpose - fun
    depth - rarely more than 30m but mostly around 20-30m
    time - an hour? Was that the question?
    region - all over, mostly tropical but now UK also
    water conditions - mostly lovely but with strong currents, now low vis and cold but currents less (UK).

2) What have you heard that you like and dislike about:
    Rebreathers?

2. Ideal PPO2 at any given depth
    3. Longer dives (I hate coming up)
    4. Boys toys - technology, kit, spending time and getting proficient with it
    5. Checklists. I had to do something regular but wrong/illegal/dangerous several times daily over a period of nine years. It taught me that covering your tracks is easy on any instance on any given day. But covering you tracks every single time 7 times a day over 9 years without screwing up once, not so easy. This is where I learned the benefit of checklists that are immovable. I learned to triple check everything on my list and then anything new in my environment that was not on my list and not to trust any one sense, including sight. I would like to employ this level of attention to detail more constructively one day.
    6. Redundancy - I like having options if any single point fails.
    7. Other things I don't know about yet

Dislikes:
    1. Risk of one mistake potentially resulting in dfeath (I don't know if this is true or not)
    2. Unsurety of whether my motor skills are up to the job at this point and given the amount I (don't) dive. If I was diving every day I'd feel more comfortable with the step.
    3. Relative newness of availability of technology to lower end of market
    4. Other things I don't know about yet

Open Circuit?
    I like it cos it's simple and tolerates fault (to a degree) which makes diving simpler
    I don't like it for the same reasons

My main motivations for looking into rebreathing I've already mentioned and won't make a judgement on whether they're valid reasons on whether to pursue or not.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelh  View Original Post

PS:
    Thanks for the warm welcome :) nigelh. Regarding why on earth I'd want one? Well clearly I wouldn't, I can breath fine up here with generally little assistance (are Marlboro's assistance?)

Turning things on their head a little, what motivated you to start diving rebreathers? Not being facetious, just interested in whether my motivations are reasonably aligned or not with others. Currently my feeling is not, but hey, that's why I'm asking the questions

I'm in no way committed to this move, potentially quite the opposite. But I'd like to do it on an informed basis rather than hearsay either way.

Where do you live in Brighton BTW?

J

plus I was only saying hello. Hadn't intended to ask any questions just yet.

RBW Member PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2's Avatar

Hello,

I sounds like you've given it quite a bit of thought.

I think taking a rebreather course would be a good start. I'd see if you could rent/borrow a rebreather for the course and dive a few times with it. Treat the course as an extended rebreather experience.

If I had to rank the most important attributes of a rebreather diver, and I'm not an expert mind you, I would say : 1) the desire to study and understand the science, technology, and physiology of rebreather diving. 2) A methodical attention to procedure and detail.

You have most of the pros down for why to dive a rebreather. Cons include it's a bit more complicated (the best toys are) and more expensive unless you're spending tons of money on Helium.

Rebreather diving is fun, challenging, and, as you pointed out, a bit more dangerous.

Yes, even highly experience people have made fatal mistakes on rebreathers.... they are good cautionary tales to learn from. But that doesn't mean you can't safely dive rebreather with the right training (formal or informal, professional or self-taught).

In the end, as with many endeavers in life, the decision is very much a personal one -- noone can really answer it for you. Do you have any specific questions whose answer might help to clarify things for you?

-Paul
    Paul's first law states that the safety of an activity is determined by how forgiving of mistakes the activity is.

Paul's second law states that the difference between an adventurer and an explorer is whether the doing or the learning comes first.

"Don't be surprised if at the center of every hurricane in your life is an "I"." --paul gernhardt

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast