+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SS Thorfinn

John Harcus jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver's Avatar
    rEvo

Copis Megalodon

Re: SS Thorfinn

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post
    couldn't agree more.. the small groups are unbeatable.. I also like lance's attitude in that he will break you up to even smaller groups when the boat isn't full..

On my last trip, for most of it.. I was the only really experienced deep diver, so every morning it was just me and a guide.. Talk about service!

the odyssey had more luxury but the thorfin's rooms are bigger and has much more experienced guides.. His main 2 guides have been with him over 20 years.. I would like to see pictures of the ship after the latest refit..
    It was tough having to deal with two other divers on the boat last week, and then they left...I will post some pics next week.

RBW Member Trukdiver has a spectacular aura about Trukdiver has a spectacular aura about Trukdiver has a spectacular aura about Trukdiver has a spectacular aura about Trukdiver has a spectacular aura about Trukdiver's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Well, given my screen name I had to chime into this thread. When I first went there in 2005, I couldn't believe how incredible that place is. To the earlier comment that not too many people do it despite the wonders that await, I cannot understand it. My only guess to that is that people think its too much money/too many logistics and a bit out of reach. That's just simply not the case. I would suspect that the liveaboards are the more expensive way to do it, but even they are in the $2500 US range.

Flights, well yes, they're pricey, but both times I've gone, I used Amex airmiles to get it for free. For any of these destinations, if you use Amex for daily expenditures and recurring bills, the points needed to book the flight are very achievable. I'm about to go again in a few weeks (yaay!) and again I was able to book with airmiles.

As far as the diving arrangements, I don't think its possible to make a bad choice. I watch the Truk discussions very closely and I have never heard about anyone not enjoying the land-based Blue Lagoon, the Thorfinn, or the Odyssey. I chose the Odyssey because, for me, I want to maximize the dive time I can get in the week I can afford to take. I averaged 22 hours of bottom time both weeks and I was on OC then. It would have been physically difficult for me to do that if I had to load my gear on a land-based boat 2-3 times a day for a week and do longer dives.

The comment about having too many people diving one wreck while on the Odyssey is just not something that I experienced. Since its a lliveaboard, no one has to go at the same time and I usually didn't. In the majority of the dives, I was able to easily ensure that I was the only person on the entire wreck. (and yes, no one gives you any trouble if you want to splash alone or without a guide - probably something I will not do though in CCR). If it were to become a problem for some reason, they Odyssey drags two skiffs all the time (set up for diving) and will take you wherever you'd like to go. So, I hope no one avoids the Odyssey for fear of "crowded wreck" conditions.

Great destination, great operators in the area, and wonderful diving!

Last edited by Trukdiver; 13th September 2008 at 12:19.

New Member petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Trukdiver  View Original Post

Well, given my screen name I had to chime into this thread. When I first went there in 2005, I couldn't believe how incredible that place is. To the earlier comment that not too many people do it despite the wonders that await, I cannot understand it. My only guess to that is that people think its too much money/too many logistics and a bit out of reach. That's just simply not the case. I would suspect that the liveaboards are the more expensive way to do it, but even they are in the $2500 US range.

Flights, well yes, they're pricey, but both times I've gone, I used Amex airmiles to get it for free. For any of these destinations, if you use Amex for daily expenditures and recurring bills, the points needed to book the flight are very achievable. I'm about to go again in a few weeks (yaay!) and again I was able to book with airmiles.

As far as the diving arrangements, I don't think its possible to make a bad choice. I watch the Truk discussions very closely and I have never heard about anyone not enjoying the land-based Blue Lagoon, the Thorfinn, or the Odyssey. I chose the Odyssey because, for me, I want to maximize the dive time I can get in the week I can afford to take. I averaged 22 hours of bottom time both weeks and I was on OC then. It would have been physically difficult for me to do that if I had to load my gear on a land-based boat 2-3 times a day for a week and do longer dives.

The comment about having too many people diving one wreck while on the Odyssey is just not something that I experienced. Since its a lliveaboard, no one has to go at the same time and I usually didn't. In the majority of the dives, I was able to easily ensure that I was the only person on the entire wreck. (and yes, no one gives you any trouble if you want to splash alone or without a guide - probably something I will not do though in CCR). If it were to become a problem for some reason, they Odyssey drags two skiffs all the time (set up for diving) and will take you wherever you'd like to go. So, I hope no one avoids the Odyssey for fear of "crowded wreck" conditions.

Great destination, great operators in the area, and wonderful diving!

Nice post Trukdiver! Good comments.

Pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2