+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SS Thorfinn

John Harcus jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver's Avatar
    rEvo

Copis Megalodon

SS Thorfinn

I am in Korea the middle of the month then in Truk for a week. Does anyone have recent experience with the SS Thorfinn diving Truk?

rEvo Shearwater tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13's Avatar
    rEvo

Re: SS Thorfinn

Can't help you with the Thornfin but have to say I dove Truk on the Odyssey last year and it's a top nocth boat. (dove o.c.) Everything from the quarters, food and staff were excellent and I highly recommend them.
    Tony

Resident Selkie hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat's Avatar
    Megladon

FYI- Odyssey left Monday the 4th for the Phillipinnes for re-fit. I think she will be gone 2 months.

New Member petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Quote Originally Posted by jdicediver  View Original Post
    I am in Korea the middle of the month then in Truk for a week. Does anyone have recent experience with the SS Thorfinn diving Truk?
    I personally havent been on Thorfinn but I hear that you get looked after well. As with Odyssey. But in all honesty I dont see any advantage staying on a liveaboard. Staying land based at Blue Lagoon Resort and diving with Gradvin, you get to the sites in no time, you have heaps of space, the rooms are large, airconditioned, and have a fridge. and your own personal beach to and grounds to relax on.

Basically either way you do it. You will have a great time. Get some time in the water and see some amazing sights. Just make sure you do some research reading up about the wrecks first. Dan Bailey does a fantastic publication that is the most informative text I personally have ever read. I have a link on my site directly to Dans site. You can buy a book directly off him. truk lagoon wreck diving If you dont get time to get the book i have some info on truk and some recent pictures of teh wrecks.

1 week???? Why torture yourself? take 2!!!!!

Pete

John Harcus jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver is just really nice jdicediver's Avatar
    rEvo

Copis Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by petemes  View Original Post
    I personally havent been on Thorfinn but I hear that you get looked after well. As with Odyssey. But in all honesty I dont see any advantage staying on a liveaboard. Staying land based at Blue Lagoon Resort and diving with Gradvin, you get to the sites in no time, you have heaps of space, the rooms are large, airconditioned, and have a fridge. and your own personal beach to and grounds to relax on.

Basically either way you do it. You will have a great time. Get some time in the water and see some amazing sights. Just make sure you do some research reading up about the wrecks first. Dan Bailey does a fantastic publication that is the most informative text I personally have ever read. I have a link on my site directly to Dans site. You can buy a book directly off him. truk lagoon wreck diving If you dont get time to get the book i have some info on truk and some recent pictures of teh wrecks.

1 week???? Why torture yourself? take 2!!!!!

Pete
    "Chook" as it is pronounced locally, was amazing...and gave much needed experience on my CCR. Blue lagoon doesn't offer the up to 5 dives a day available on the SS Thorfinn, but it did look like a nice resort. The Thorfinn was the first liveaboard dive boat in the world, is still the largest (170') and will be my choice next time I do Chuuk. Trip report to follow when completed.

Supporting Member DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill's Avatar
    HammerHead

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by jdicediver  View Original Post
    "Chook" as it is pronounced locally, was amazing...and gave much needed experience on my CCR. Blue lagoon doesn't offer the up to 5 dives a day available on the SS Thorfinn, but it did look like a nice resort. The Thorfinn was the first liveaboard dive boat in the world, is still the largest (170') and will be my choice next time I do Chuuk. Trip report to follow when completed.
    I did the Thorfinn a couple of time prior to 2000.
    It was ok.

Made my first trip on the Odyssey in May of 2000 and have never looked back. The Thorfin is ok but can't come close except that it's a bit cheaper I guess. Though I haven't looked since 2000.

New Member petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Quote Originally Posted by DWill  View Original Post
    I did the Thorfinn a couple of time prior to 2000.
    It was ok.

Made my first trip on the Odyssey in May of 2000 and have never looked back. The Thorfin is ok but can't come close except that it's a bit cheaper I guess. Though I haven't looked since 2000.

Yeah that Odyssey looks the biz alright!! But again the real deal clincher for me was having a max of 6 people per boat - 1 boat per wreck! I would soon become frustrated trying to take pictures with another 15 people on the same wreck diving it, yeah granted they are big ships but all will be heading to most points of interest - engineroom, bridge, holds, galley, so if you arent first in these places your viz gets destroyed.

Pete

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Yeah that Odyssey looks the biz alright!! But again the real deal clincher for me was having a max of 6 people per boat - 1 boat per wreck! I would soon become frustrated trying to take pictures with another 15 people on the same wreck diving it, yeah granted they are big ships but all will be heading to most points of interest - engineroom, bridge, holds, galley, so if you arent first in these places your viz gets destroyed.

Pete
    couldn't agree more.. the small groups are unbeatable.. I also like lance's attitude in that he will break you up to even smaller groups when the boat isn't full..

On my last trip, for most of it.. I was the only really experienced deep diver, so every morning it was just me and a guide.. Talk about service!

the odyssey had more luxury but the thorfin's rooms are bigger and has much more experienced guides.. His main 2 guides have been with him over 20 years.. I would like to see pictures of the ship after the latest refit..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Supporting Member DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill's Avatar
    HammerHead

Dolphin

Pete
    That's true I have been frustrated at times for this very reason.
    But I've never been on the Odyssey when it was completely full.
    I think the most I've been on with is 10.

And I've been able to split off from the "group" on the "tender" on many occasions. But is frustrating to be waiting to dive somewhere only to get there and have crap floating in the water because someone silted the place up ahead of you.

Inspo Vision

Quote Originally Posted by DWill  View Original Post
    That's true I have been frustrated at times for this very reason.
    But I've never been on the Odyssey when it was completely full.
    I think the most I've been on with is 10.

And I've been able to split off from the "group" on the "tender" on many occasions. But is frustrating to be waiting to dive somewhere only to get there and have crap floating in the water because someone silted the place up ahead of you.
    Yeah, one of the biggest things that surprises me is how few people actually go and dive truk. Of course it is nice to have the place to yourself but you can easily have 500 people in truk at any one time and still not be lining up for the wrecks like they do on the Thislegorm. Man, they will have 10 boats on the wreck at any one time!!!
    I think if you ask divers where their "ultimate destination" would be and most will respond - truk! its interesting why so few people dive there! I certainly will be heading there annually for the next 10 seasons. Hopefully I should get some good pictures - eventually!!!

Pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast