+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tingling Teeth!

RBW Member athomson is an unknown quantity at this point athomson's Avatar

Tingling Teeth!

Hi all,Question for all the peopple out there. I dive on an Inspiration Vision and did my Mod 2 course in Malin Head, Ireland (best wreck diving in the world :D). I had no trimix qualification prior to that.

Since I started diving trimix, I have noticed that I seem to get tingling teeth after a dive. This usully happens about 5-15 minutes after I surface and vansihes after two or three minutes. First time it happened was on my course but seems to happen on every trimix dive I do on the rebreather. Never had this when I dived open circuit or used air as the dil.

I have suffered the odd bend before (two skin bends and some elbow pain ... all treated and got the all clear after) but they were on profiles where I really pushed the limits. Stupid dives that I look back on these days and think "why the F*&% did I do that and thank god I'm still here". I now dive much more conservatively using a combination of the Vision (GF 20/85), my VR3 and V-planner and always work to the most conservative of the three with the other two as a back-up. As a result of this, I tend to pad my stops.T

his tingling in my teeth doesn't really worry me too much but I'm curious about it. I think I'm just having a reaction to the helium but I would be curious to hear what anyone else thinks. The other option is that it is micro-bubbles but the fact that I only get it on trimix dives is funny. I have run much longer dives with much more deco on air dil than I have done to date on trimix.

Any ideas welcome (unless you suggest I give up diving in which case ... ).

Andy
    Last edited by athomson; 5th August 2008 at 17:33. Reason: didn't format right

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Re: Tingling Teeth!

Have you had any dental work recently? For a long time after I had some old fillings replaced I had pain on ascent and for 5-10min after the dive. I suppose some gas must have been migrating through small channels in the filling material under pressure and then causing a reverse squeeze on ascent. Helium is a significantly smaller molecule than nitrogen so possibly it's easier to migrate?

I'm not a dentist though.

RBW Member athomson is an unknown quantity at this point athomson's Avatar

I did think of that but I hanve't needed any dental work in a few years.

Andy

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Is it possible that you are feeling sinus pressure in the roof of your mouth?

Now showing as "Dean Coote" Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver's Avatar

Is your mouthpiece new .. or to old.
    I use a mouthpiece you heat up then bite on it to mold to the right shape of you teeth
    I read an article on jaw bends, very similiar to skin bends in symptoms.. sorry i cant find were i saw it.
    Maybe give ddrc a ring

Bad knees, matching brain Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

RB80, Sentinel

Is it possible that one of your current fillings is starting to decay, thereby letting gas under it? I'm under the impression those things don't last forever.

+ Reply to Thread