+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Diving and AntiInflammatory Drugs

  1. #1
    RBW Member Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bucharest (Romania)
    Posts
    818

    Diving and AntiInflammatory Drugs

    I've been recovering from back surgery (along with a bout of Epidural Fibrosis) during the last 6 months. Still using NSAIDs (Arcoxia) to keep swelling down, but finally becoming well again.

    Jungle running, jogging, and beach volleyball remain out of my list of activities. Now a couch potato well and good. Hope to revive RB scuba again mid-January 2006. I do and will continue to reduce my pharmacy. Down to vitamin B12, Panadol, and Arcoxia.

    Any Orthopaedic surgeons out there that happen to be divers, have any opinions/info that I should know about?

    Need to rebuild skills so will be doing the obvious taking it easy.

  2. #2
    Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    474

    Re: Diving and AntiInflammatory Drugs

    Could you tel us what the generic name for Arcoxia is? Many trade names are country specific. That is not a familiar name to me in the states.

    What did your surgeon advise regarding lifting limits? Are you 'allowed' to lift the rb in the first place?

    Can you give us more details of the surgery. what was done?

    Cheers, hope your feeling better

  3. #3
    Flaccid Member abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie is a splendid one to behold abowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Land of Oz
    Posts
    801
    Dammit I bought another KISS

    CK, SK, Satori, ManBagOD

    Re: Diving and AntiInflammatory Drugs

    There are 2 issues here.

    The first and foremost is what your back will let you do. Best speak to your own surgeon and physiotherapist about that.

    The second is the anti inflammatory issue. Arcoxia (etoricoxib) is a Cox2 inhibitor like Celebrex (celecoxib) and Vioxx (rofecoxib). We don't have it in Australia so I can't speak from first hand experience but in general it shouldn't present any particular problem with diving.

  4. #4
    RBW Member Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bucharest (Romania)
    Posts
    818

    Re: Diving and AntiInflammatory Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by babar
    Could you tel us what the generic name for Arcoxia is? Many trade names are country specific. That is not a familiar name to me in the states.

    What did your surgeon advise regarding lifting limits? Are you 'allowed' to lift the rb in the first place?

    Can you give us more details of the surgery. what was done?

    Cheers, hope your feeling better
    As Andrew Bowie mentioned, Arcoxia is Entoricoxib. I've heard the same opinion (as his) from non-diver doc's. Do you differ? Although I'll continue trying to get off of it, I definitely feel a difference between not taking it and taking it. Stuff actually works.

    Surgery was a L4-L5-S1 laminectomy and a L5-S1 discectomy. Definitely not allowed to lift the 35 K's of Meg RB (yet). I'm less sensitive to load versus shock and vibration (boat ride is more of a concern). Intend on having asistants carry the load of the RB until I jump in the water.

  5. #5
    Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    474

    Re: Diving and AntiInflammatory Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by sabgia
    As Andrew Bowie mentioned, Arcoxia is Entoricoxib. I've heard the same opinion (as his) from non-diver doc's. Do you differ? Although I'll continue trying to get off of it, I definitely feel a difference between not taking it and taking it. Stuff actually works.

    Surgery was a L4-L5-S1 laminectomy and a L5-S1 discectomy. Definitely not allowed to lift the 35 K's of Meg RB (yet). I'm less sensitive to load versus shock and vibration (boat ride is more of a concern). Intend on having asistants carry the load of the RB until I jump in the water.
    No I quite agree, I don't have any problem with the medicine itself. Although it should be noted here that most of the cox2's have been withdrawn from the market in the states. My concern would be more from the laminectomy and the rehab entailed. Diving often causes one, (well, me anyway) to arch ones back. Having spinal fusion can increase the stress on surrounding vertebrae, and the adjoining diskspaces.
    Having a helper to lug your unit for you, will help, I would certainly recommend taking you unit off in the water and having someone pull it out of the water for you. Just don't underestimate the torque and strain of swimming and turning with the unit on your back. I would talk to your doc about it, and start out with some pool excercises.

  6. #6
    RBW Member Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bucharest (Romania)
    Posts
    818

    Re: Diving and AntiInflammatory Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by babar
    No I quite agree, I don't have any problem with the medicine itself. Although it should be noted here that most of the cox2's have been withdrawn from the market in the states. My concern would be more from the laminectomy and the rehab entailed. Diving often causes one, (well, me anyway) to arch ones back. Having spinal fusion can increase the stress on surrounding vertebrae, and the adjoining diskspaces.
    Having a helper to lug your unit for you, will help, I would certainly recommend taking you unit off in the water and having someone pull it out of the water for you. Just don't underestimate the torque and strain of swimming and turning with the unit on your back. I would talk to your doc about it, and start out with some pool excercises.
    Thank you for your opinion about the drugs and diving with broken back. Actually did not have fusion performed. Have L5 sitting directly on S1 without any sort of implant. I do plenty of pool training (swimming laps) and weight training (spine tensioning or neutral). The RB and my diving passion has helped me to work to get well.

  7. #7
    Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    474

    Re: Diving and AntiInflammatory Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by sabgia
    Thank you for your opinion about the drugs and diving with broken back. Actually did not have fusion performed. Have L5 sitting directly on S1 without any sort of implant. I do plenty of pool training (swimming laps) and weight training (spine tensioning or neutral). The RB and my diving passion has helped me to work to get well.
    Well, goodluck to you and let us know how it goes.

  8. #8
    LEARNING CONTINUALLY rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    S.E. TEXAS
    Posts
    771
    Inspo Vision

    Classic YBOD

    Cool Re: Diving and AntiInflammatory Drugs

    Gilles;
    I've used all the cox inhibitors. They work well for me. I've dived alot with these types of meds in my system. I broke 3 Lumbar vertebrae many yrs ago and chronic back pain is something I live with. Unfortunately most of the cox inhibitors are off the market in the US. Vioxx worked really well for me, but caused my stomach to burn. Eating every 4 hours helped. Celebrex worked, but not as well as Vioxx. They are not available now. Bextra seems to work pretty well, but not as good as the first two. The legal system here has hit drug co's with billion dollar settlements. Never mind a drug helps 99.999% of the people that take it. If it "may" have caused anyone a stroke or heart attack, then sue the pants off of em.
    More legal stuff: I'm not a Dr., so I can't prescribe or even recommend anything.
    Just an R.N.;
    Bill

  9. #9
    RBW Member Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles is just really nice Gilles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bucharest (Romania)
    Posts
    818

    Re: Diving and AntiInflammatory Drugs

    Quote Originally Posted by rigdiver
    Gilles;
    I've used all the cox inhibitors. They work well for me. I've dived alot with these types of meds in my system. I broke 3 Lumbar vertebrae many yrs ago and chronic back pain is something I live with. Unfortunately most of the cox inhibitors are off the market in the US. Vioxx worked really well for me, but caused my stomach to burn. Eating every 4 hours helped. Celebrex worked, but not as well as Vioxx. They are not available now. Bextra seems to work pretty well, but not as good as the first two. The legal system here has hit drug co's with billion dollar settlements. Never mind a drug helps 99.999% of the people that take it. If it "may" have caused anyone a stroke or heart attack, then sue the pants off of em.
    More legal stuff: I'm not a Dr., so I can't prescribe or even recommend anything.
    Just an R.N.;
    Bill
    Bill, thanks for your reply. Nice to find out that I'm not the only one crazy enough to continue diving. If you ever travel to Malaysia or Singapore, any doc will prescribe this pharmacy for you.

  10. #10
    Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,790

    Re: Diving and AntiInflammatory Drugs

    Just in case you are taking aspirin, I recently read that aspirin "seem[s] to increase the risk of CNS oxygen toxicity." Mount, Sawatzky & Hess. Tek Closed Circuit Rebreather, p. 40.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts