+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DiveTech Grand Cayman

RBW Member JohnW is an unknown quantity at this point JohnW's Avatar

DiveTech Grand Cayman

I'm planning a New Years Trip with my wife who does not dive to Cobalt Coast on Grand Cayman.

I will be bringing my Evolution and have been quoted $4 for Diluent(air)fills, $15 for O2 Fills and $38 for Scrubber fills.

I'll be diving for 8 days and am thinking I may want to ship(or bring) in my own Sofnalime. Has anyone done this before to Grand Cayman? or should I just be paying the $38? the O2 and the Air Fills seem reasonable?

So far I'm impressed with online service and the resort seems nice enough for my wife to hang around at.

BTW, is any one else with a re breather going to be there from the 26th of December to the 4th of January? I wouldn't mind getting in some shore dives also.

Unbanned cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn's Avatar

Re: DiveTech Grand Cayman

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW  View Original Post
    I'm planning a New Years Trip with my wife who does not dive to Cobalt Coast on Grand Cayman.

I will be bringing my Evolution and have been quoted $4 for Diluent(air)fills, $15 for O2 Fills and $38 for Scrubber fills.

I'll be diving for 8 days and am thinking I may want to ship(or bring) in my own Sofnalime. Has anyone done this before to Grand Cayman? or should I just be paying the $38? the O2 and the Air Fills seem reasonable?

So far I'm impressed with online service and the resort seems nice enough for my wife to hang around at.

BTW, is any one else with a re breather going to be there from the 26th of December to the 4th of January? I wouldn't mind getting in some shore dives also.
    I took my Dolphin and Evolution certs there. Excelent operation but the Cayamn Islands is not the place to save money, but you dive a RB. Your saving-money days are over. When I talked to them last year I aslo asked about some other costs. Tank rental; bailout fill, reg rental for bailout. Their prices are fair but sometimes all the do dads get forgotten when they quote prices.

The resort is very nice, good food there, great rooms. If your wife is going to do anyhing besides tan, swim, or jog you should consider renting a car for at least a few days. They are at the far north end fo the island and a bit away from "downtown" resturants or shopping. But if she is trapped there and bored the dive shop is at the resort so maybe she will be bored enough to sign up for an openwater course.

Closed Account Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg's Avatar
    Classic KISS

I'll be diving for 8 days and am thinking I may want to ship(or bring) in my own Sofnalime. Has anyone done this before to Grand Cayman?
    John, I traveled to Cayman with two other CK divers from NJ in April. We flew on Continental out of Newark. We checked three 44-pound kegs of Sofnolime. There was a little concern at the check-in counter, but not having to do with CO (they do have a published policy permitting CO2 absorbent as long as it is less than 4% sodium hydroxide). The issue was with the TSA, as the CO folks at the counter had never passed this material through TSA security before. It turned out to not be a problem.

On arrival at Grand Cayman, the customs folks there wanted ot be sure we were going to use the stuff, and not sell it. We had to explain what it was, and how we intended to use it. After chatting for maybe 5 minutes, they let us through.

I wouldn't mind getting in some shore dives also.
    That will be the only way you'll get to dive rebreather-like profiles. On the boats, the schedule is set up for open circuit divers and the shop's timetable for that day.

We found DiveTech to be a great operation to dive with. The benches and rinse area worked out perfectly for our end-of-day breakdown and rinse ritual. The staff were without exception friendly and as accommodating as you can reasonably expect.

Enjoy your trip!

--
    Art

RBW Member JohnW is an unknown quantity at this point JohnW's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cramerdn  View Original Post
    but you dive a Rebreather. Your saving-money days are over.
    Hey, I just told my wife all the money I'd be saving on Trimix fills eventually. I hope she does'nt read your post......LOL

Unbanned cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn's Avatar

Hey, I just told my wife all the money I'd be saving on Trimix fills eventually. I hope she does'nt read your post......LOL

Thats like telling her that you will save money of bike chain grease by buying a car.

Stevie Tippetts Stevie Tippetts is an unknown quantity at this point Stevie Tippetts's Avatar
    Defender

Sentinel, Evo+, rEvo, PF

I actually work for Divetech, and would be pleased to answer your questions.

PM me or open - just let me know what you need.

Steve :)

+ Reply to Thread