View Poll Results: How much does Middle Ear Oxygen Absorption Syndrome Effect You (if at all)?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - Never felt it.

14 18.18%
  • Yes - but I always find it easy to clear my ears

34 44.16%
  • Yes - I can normally clear easily, but sometimes it is tight.

13 16.88%
  • Yes - but I do need to focus on clearing my ears; they are quite touchy about this.

7 9.09%
  • Yes - I must always descend slowly on my dives

3 3.90%
  • Yes - this drives me nuts, my ears are very sensitive during and after dives.

5 6.49%
  • Yes - it is such an issue it stops(ed) me diving.

1 1.30%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: middle ear oxygen absorption syndrome

Andy Pitkin apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin's Avatar
    Prism 1

various

Re: middle ear oxygen absorption syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe GERIN  View Original Post
    I'm no doc but it seems John that you have something different. This syndrome appears after dives when you breath high FO2, or high PO2 in our case. This high FO2 gas get stuck in the middle ear and if you don't replace it with air then O2 is consumed by the tissues through the skin over a period of time (overnight for instance), volume gets low, pressure gets low hence the drum is pushed inside. This is the need to compensate/clear after a while or in the morning following a dive.
    Best
    Philippe
    The Royal Navy clearance divers got this a lot when using pure O2 rebreathers for long periods under water (several multi-hour dives a day). Some of them had to set their alarm clock to wake them at midnight so they could clear their ears, otherwise they would wake up in the morning with pain and deafness (not a good thing in the Royal Navy).

Actually, it appears that it isn't as simple as just oxygen absorption. Avi Shupak (I think), an Israeli diving physician, worked out by some elegant experiments that the cause was the high PO2 inhibiting normal Eustachian tube function after the dive, causing temporary "glue ear".

Andy

rEvo combat swimmer fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman's Avatar
    rEvo

Orca

Yeah, I usually equalize a few times on the drive home. No problem.

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by apitkin  View Original Post
    Actually, it appears that it isn't as simple as just oxygen absorption. Avi Shupak (I think), an Israeli diving physician, worked out by some elegant experiments that the cause was the high PO2 inhibiting normal Eustachian tube function after the dive, causing temporary "glue ear".
    Any chance you can post some documentation about this?

An independent diver. bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso's Avatar
    MCCR Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDadMiami  View Original Post
    In the USN dive manual Volume 4 section 19-2.6 pg 19-8. (It is not where you think it would be. It is in the UBA CCR O2 rebreather section) The manual is available on line from several free sources. 20 meg file.

I can also PM the pdf file to you.

Dale

RBW Member carcharodon1957 is an unknown quantity at this point carcharodon1957's Avatar
    oxygers-ida 71-submatix

rEvo3 hCCR

hello,
    complete agree with Andy,

I only felt this uncomfortable sensation of swapping eardrum against paper after long pure O2 dives, but not on mixed gas dive!

sheers
    Bernard

RBW Member BobK08 is an unknown quantity at this point BobK08's Avatar

After 30 years of OC without any significant ear problems, I got my first rebreather this year (Sentinel) and have been plagued by difficulty clearing and sinus headaches for days after a couple of RB dives. In trying to find out if this was just coincidence, I came across the following link.

http://www.biltmoreent.com/Page6.html

It isn't clear how long the O2 exposure needs to be, or the ppO2, but there is at least a suggestion that O2 degrades the sinus and middle ear's ability to keep the narrow passages open

Bob

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BobK08  View Original Post
    It isn't clear how long the O2 exposure needs to be, or the ppO2, but there is at least a suggestion that O2 degrades the sinus and middle ear's ability to keep the narrow passages open.
    Bob, that about sums it up in my mind and backs what I experience. I would imagine that the variables: O2 exposure/ppO2 are independent for each diver. This would make a great medical white paper and study.

Andy Pitkin apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin's Avatar
    Prism 1

various

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDadMiami  View Original Post
    I wish I could remember exactly where I read it. It wasn't in a major journal like UHM, it was in something like the Proceedings of the World Congress on Hyperbaric Medicine, but I'm not sure of the year, or even that that was where I saw it.

Andy

Resident bibliophile Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs is a name known to all Gene_Hobbs's Avatar
    Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by apitkin  View Original Post
    I wish I could remember exactly where I read it. It wasn't in a major journal like UHM, it was in something like the Proceedings of the World Congress on Hyperbaric Medicine, but I'm not sure of the year, or even that that was where I saw it.
    This is one of those times the UHMS abstract collection pays off. :)

Shupak, A; Tabari, R; Swarts, JD; Bluestone, CD; Doyle, WJ. SYSTEMIC HYPEROXIA IMPAIRS THE EUSTACHIAN TUBE PRESSURE EQUALIZATION ABILITY. 1996 UHMS Abstract. RRR ID: 557

The abstract lead to this publication... Think this is the one you were thinking about or do I need to keep looking?

Shupak, A; Tabari, R; Swarts, JD; Bluestone, CD; Doyle, WJ. Effects of systemic hyperoxia on eustachian tube ventilatory function. Laryngoscope. 1997 Oct;107(10):1409-13. PMID: 9331322

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3