View Poll Results: How much does Middle Ear Oxygen Absorption Syndrome Effect You (if at all)?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - Never felt it.

14 18.18%
  • Yes - but I always find it easy to clear my ears

34 44.16%
  • Yes - I can normally clear easily, but sometimes it is tight.

13 16.88%
  • Yes - but I do need to focus on clearing my ears; they are quite touchy about this.

7 9.09%
  • Yes - I must always descend slowly on my dives

3 3.90%
  • Yes - this drives me nuts, my ears are very sensitive during and after dives.

5 6.49%
  • Yes - it is such an issue it stops(ed) me diving.

1 1.30%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: middle ear oxygen absorption syndrome

Banned Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del's Avatar
    JJ, it rocks!

Sports KISS

middle ear oxygen absorption syndrome

Does it effect you? How much?

Well, after waking up again with a blocked, painful to clear left ear*, I decided to do some research on the symptoms... and found out about this little gem.

I get these symptoms the morning after a dive (15-20 hours), and find that clearing my ears during the day post-dive does help to a degree. Now I need to remember to do it a lot more!

I'm wondering how many divers it effects, and how it correlates to the ease with which they can clear their ears as the infromation I have found suggests a link to narrow eustacian tubes and difficult to clear ears. I have never had trouble clearing, but do find I am sensitive to pressure changes, so often clear my ears moving down lightly on a dive.

For those who have no idea what I am babbling on about:

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=1137

http://www.coralspringsscuba.com/usn/Chap18.pdf

http://www.coralspringsscuba.com/usn/Chap19.pdf

oxygen and your ears

cheers

Andy

*That's the ear with some residual tinnitis, thanks to orchestral playing and camping next to the timpani and other noisy things for years!

Ladies bring a plate Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve's Avatar

Re: middle ear oxygen absorption syndrome

Try to remember to clear your ears several times in the afternoon and evening post diving Andy. It helps me.
    WARNING: I contain occasional coarse language, extreme sexual references, nudity, and adult themes, which may offend some people - Usually churchy types.

The Evolution of Diving diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob's Avatar
    Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Del  View Original Post
    Does it effect you? How much?

Well, after waking up again with a blocked, painful to clear left ear*, I decided to do some research on the symptoms... and found out about this little gem.

I get these symptoms the morning after a dive (15-20 hours), and find that clearing my ears during the day post-dive does help to a degree. Now I need to remember to do it a lot more!

I'm wondering how many divers it effects, and how it correlates to the ease with which they can clear their ears as the infromation I have found suggests a link to narrow eustacian tubes and difficult to clear ears. I have never had trouble clearing, but do find I am sensitive to pressure changes, so often clear my ears moving down lightly on a dive.

For those who have no idea what I am babbling on about:

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=1137

http://www.coralspringsscuba.com/usn/Chap18.pdf

http://www.coralspringsscuba.com/usn/Chap19.pdf

oxygen and your ears

cheers

Andy

*That's the ear with some residual tinnitis, thanks to orchestral playing and camping next to the timpani and other noisy things for years!

I seem to be affected to this quite a bit but the more I dive the easier it is to deal with it. I just ensure I clear my ears allot post dive and prior to going to bed that night.

Rob

RBW Member Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn's Avatar

I can feel the pressure in my ears after every CCR dive...I just clear my ears every 30 minutes post dive for the about three hours, then I pop a sudafed....My ears stay clear and I haven't missed a dive since I started this process.

Stéphane Acounis Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane's Avatar
    rEvo3 rMS

rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

What are you saying? Don't talk at my right ear, I've been diving yesterday ... :p

Yes, every time I dive I have this. Always at the right ear as the doctor told my the Eustachian tube was narrow.
    I know now that I have to frequently clear after a dive but that when I woke up in the morning it gives me a feeling of a blocked ear. It's not painful, it's just annoying.
    Usually I can go diving with no problem, I can't remember of any missed dive.

Unbanned cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn  View Original Post
    I can feel the pressure in my ears after every CCR dive...I just clear my ears every 30 minutes post dive for the about three hours, then I pop a sudafed....My ears stay clear and I haven't missed a dive since I started this process.
    Be aware...

Common side effects of Sudafed Sinus and Nasal Decongestant:
    CNS stimulation...

Uncommon side effects of Sudafed Sinus and Nasal Decongestant:...
    ...Seizures

There has been concerns about weather it lowers the PO2 that can be tolerated prior to the onset of CNS toxicity symptoms.

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

I am one of those folks who has to pay a lot of attention to this issue. If I let a squeeze form, even a little one during a dive and then clear my ears it seems to start a cycle of irritation. this was barely an issue on OC, but diving ambient on CCR seems to make me quite prone to ear issues.

I have had to become religious about keeping positive pressure in my CL's/mask, clearing often upon descent. If I get a squeeze I will ascend a bit to relieve the pressure before equalizing. After a dive I start clearing my ears many times in the first hour and less so as the hours progress - to add nitrogen back/get the o2 out... kind of makes sense that your middle ear is meant to be filled with inert gas to keep things from growing.

I will really get screwed if I do a late night dive and go to sleep before getting the high o2 out of my inner ear... guarenteed I will wake with a feeling of cotten/fluid in my ear and may not be able to dive for a few days.

I have to be particularly careful on multi day dive trips, particularly 8 days into it or so I end up having to cut back on the dives a bit.

It would drive me nuts if I hadn't learned to accept it and just do what I know I need to do, I guess I have learned to manage this issue for the most part, though it may be having some kind of effect on my hearing on an ongoing basis.

I also seem to get some kind of myopia with high o2 sometimes as well... I guess i'm one of those folks who is sensitive to higher than normal po2.

Gill Envy

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Envy  View Original Post
    I am one of those folks
    I will really get screwed if I do a late night dive
    Same here, left ear usually. Especially after a night dive. There's nothing you can do other than clearing your ear at night. My solution is to wake up once at night and clear my ears. To make sure I'll wake up, I drink about 1L of water before going to bed. And drinking water is always good.
    Best
    Philippe

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

So that's what it's called.

The morning after effect that needs a jaw-push to clear it so it's letting the pressure down not helping it up.

RBW Member Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn has a spectacular aura about Shawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cramerdn  View Original Post
    Be aware...

Common side effects of Sudafed Sinus and Nasal Decongestant:
    CNS stimulation...

Uncommon side effects of Sudafed Sinus and Nasal Decongestant:...
    ...Seizures

There has been concerns about weather it lowers the PO2 that can be tolerated prior to the onset of CNS toxicity symptoms.

I am aware of this, but usually I never get do consecutive days of diving...If that does come up I won't take anything.

But good looking out!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast