+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: CCR In Bali

  1. #1
    RBW Member aford is an unknown quantity at this point aford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tulamben, Bali, Indonesia.
    Posts
    14
    APD Inspo Vision

    CCR In Bali

    Good day to you all,
    Anyone know if anywhere in Bali has Solfnamine and Oxygen.
    In addition anywhere there that rent out 3ltr cylinders preferably in the Tulamben area.
    Unexpected vacation to take, and it must start tomorrow so any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Alex

  2. #2
    New Member Burrendive is on a distinguished road Burrendive is on a distinguished road Burrendive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    9

    Re: CCR In Bali

    You could try: Bali Scuba Diving | Bali International Diving Professionals, Bali

    Its in Sanur area but they might be able to help out.

    John

  3. #3
    So Cal Tech Diver aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,235
    Meg

    Inspo (when it works)

    Re: CCR In Bali

    Yeah. Good luck with that.

    I tried diving with them - I wanted to do some 60-70M deep reefs, OC. Fortunately I showed up with a sort of emergency setup so I could sidemount Al 80's. They had promised me doubles with 21/35, and a tech dive boat, both of which never materialised.

    Bottom line - although I gave them months of heads-up, i arrived to find they'd planned bugger all. We ended up doing some deep air dives - i had to take one of their instructors, who after the dive admitted it was the first time he'd done 60M on air, and was buzzed as hell. As was I. I spent msot of the dive watching him very carefully - his presence was a total liability. It was a beach dive at Tulanben, and very beautiful - but I cobbled together 2x air, 1x 32% and 1x O2 cylinders to make the dive. it was a very cool dive, but man did I have to work hard to convince them to put it together.

    Getting trimix out of them was harder than getting blood from a stone. They had a beautiful fill station... but someone or another that could not be found was needed to actually run it. Getting sorb and dil is going to be... err.... fun.

    They like to pretend they're techy. But getting them to do a tech dive is another story.

    So... get absolutely specific about what you want from them before showing up. Then give it a 50% probability of happening.

    Which pretty much sums up all of Indonesia. Unpleasant little country, really, when one's above water....
    Last edited by aainslie; 11th July 2008 at 04:46.
    Andrew Ainslie

    Buhlmann = Bend and Mend
    VPM/RGBM = Mend and Bend
    GF 35-50/70-85 = Mend and Mend

  4. #4
    Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    U.S.A. Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,646
    Prism

    Dolphin

    Re: CCR In Bali

    Quote Originally Posted by aford  View Original Post
    Good day to you all,
    Anyone know if anywhere in Bali has Solfnamine and Oxygen.
    In addition anywhere there that rent out 3ltr cylinders preferably in the Tulamben area.
    Unexpected vacation to take, and it must start tomorrow so any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Alex

    Hello Alex, 3 of us CCR divers were in Bali 2 months ago. AFAIK, no dive shops have a stock of sorb, so we brought most of our own. We dove with BIDP in Sanur on recommendation of a friend, who's on RBW as Bambang, which is his first name. BIDP were great, tech friendly and sourced the O2 for us. They gave us plenty of room to set up and didn't try to limit our dive times. They also allowed us to enter the water first, before the OC divers. The diving at Nusa Penida was the best-Manta Point had mantas on both dives we did there, also got a fly-by from 3 dolphins. Batu Abah was also must do, with great viz and tons of fish.

    BIDP also do trips to Tulamben and have as nice mini bus with AC.

    Bambang has recently taken delivery of a pallet of Sofnolime, but he is in Jakarta, not sure where he has the Sofno. Drop him a PM.

    We spent 10 days in Alor after Bali and the diving was fantastic. Let me know if you have any interest in going there as there is still probably plenty of O2 left over and the operator bought a whip from one of us, so all you'd need is the sorb... Happy trails -Andy

  5. #5
    Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    U.S.A. Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,646
    Prism

    Dolphin

    Re: CCR In Bali

    Quote Originally Posted by aainslie  View Original Post
    Yeah. Good luck with that.

    I tried diving with them - I wanted to do some 60-70M deep reefs, OC. Fortunately I showed up with a sort of emergency setup so I could sidemount Al 80's. They had promised me doubles with 21/35, and a tech dive boat, both of which never materialised.

    Bottom line - although I gave them months of heads-up, i arrived to find they'd planned bugger all. We ended up doing some deep air dives - i had to take one of their instructors, who after the dive admitted it was the first time he'd done 60M on air, and was buzzed as hell. As was I. I spent msot of the dive watching him very carefully - his presence was a total liability. It was a beach dive at Tulanben, and very beautiful - but I cobbled together 2x air, 1x 32% and 1x O2 cylinders to make the dive. it was a very cool dive, but man did I have to work hard to convince them to put it together.

    Getting trimix out of them was harder than getting blood from a stone. They had a beautiful fill station... but someone or another that could not be found was needed to actually run it. Getting sorb and dil is going to be... err.... fun.

    They like to pretend they're techy. But getting them to do a tech dive is another story.

    So... get absolutely specific about what you want from them before showing up. Then give it a 50% probability of happening.
    Hi Andrew, sorry to hear about the bad experience. Ours was not like that at all. Was Avandy there? He's the main guy and the only one who dives t-mix. Next time I dive in Bali, I will do some dives on Nusa Penida to 70m on tmix, should be good.

    Quote Originally Posted by aainslie  View Original Post
    Which pretty much sums up all of Indonesia. Unpleasant little country, really, when one's above water....
    Now, now, now, let's not tar the the whole place with the same brush...

    Actually, I've been to Indo 4 times now and never had a bad experience, with the exception of a little shakedown by Merpati and their rather elastic overwieght luggage guidelines. In fact, I have been treated much worse in Asia by French tourists with graduate degrees, than I ever was by illiterate Indonesian Muslims on an tiny island where there had been a religious war only 5 years before... -Andy

  6. #6
    RBW Member aford is an unknown quantity at this point aford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tulamben, Bali, Indonesia.
    Posts
    14
    APD Inspo Vision

    Re: CCR In Bali

    Quote Originally Posted by Burrendive  View Original Post
    You could try: Bali Scuba Diving | Bali International Diving Professionals, Bali

    Its in Sanur area but they might be able to help out.

    John
    Thanks for that information, I have emailed and phoned them but the knowledgable person !is not contactable today, Staff trying to be as helpfull as possible but it will be tomorrow before they can reply.
    If no other replies i will just go OC and practice my camera work. The trip is a bonus so I can not complain about getting a week off for diving even if it is on OC.
    Thanks again,
    Alex

  7. #7
    Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    2,011
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

    Evolution

    Re: CCR In Bali

    I would second Andy's report. with indonesia, having fun is all about managing your expectations... if you can find o2 and AC your are doing well! You do trade off the super upscale for the local flavor, culture and other-worldy feel. the people are generally very kind from what i've experienced so far.

    Bali had pretty good diving and a really nice top side feel. I found Avandy and the whole gang and BIDP to be great... a nice mix of laid back but on top of it. there are few times when i've had the staff help me with such an intuitive sense of boundaries... there crew new just when to step back and just when to lend a hand, watching and learning about how we handle our rigs so that gradually I was comfortable with them helping more and even carrying mine on and off the boat. I think it helped that there were several of us, enough to book the boat, that we stated our expectations well in advance, and arranged to have priority on the boat... any last minute OC tag alongs understood that they'd have to be patient with the longer wait times after their dives.

    All that said, we pretty much brought everything we needed, BO, Dill and O2 tanks and sorb... they provided the o2, dill and BO fills and the boat and lots of space for us to "do our thing" in the shop and really did not pressure us on bottom time. Our bottom times averaged about 90 minutes, we did minimal deco... didn't seem like there was a lot to see deep there. Packing that much gear without paying overage took some serious strategizing though, but it's possible!.
    Last edited by Gill Envy; 11th July 2008 at 07:14.

  8. #8
    Submerge Productions PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Malta (Rabat)
    Posts
    1,178

    Re: CCR In Bali

    Hi Alex,

    Probably no use for you now, but next year we'll be organising one or more rebreather liveaboard trips on the Archipelago Adventurer II. The plan is to have sorb, bottles and O2 available on board at economic prices. Dive times will be from 60 to 120 minutes.

    We went diving in Komodo on CCR a month ago and it was BEAUTIFULL. We are currently working on 5 video podcasts. They should be ready by the end of this summer.

    My impressions from Indonesia. The people are very friendly. The food is great and the coral beats anything I have seen so far and I've been to the Maldives, Egypt, Pemba, Dutch Antilles, ...

    Peter
    Last edited by PCDiver; 11th July 2008 at 08:28.

  9. #9
    Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    U.S.A. Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,646
    Prism

    Dolphin

    Re: CCR In Bali

    Quote Originally Posted by PCDiver  View Original Post
    We went diving in Komodo on CCR a month ago and it was BEAUTIFULL. We are currently working on 5 video podcasts. They should be ready by the end of this summer.

    My impressions from Indonesia. The people are very friendly. The food is great and the coral beats anything I have seen so far and I've been to the Maldives, Egypt, Pemba, Dutch Antilles, ...

    Peter

    Yes Peter, right you are. I did Komodo 2 times on CCR on the Ikan Biru, owned by Blue Marlin in Lombok. They are CCR friendly and the owner has been diving his Inspo longer than anybody else I've met. Simon is a CCR tmix instructor, very nice guy and of course, very knowledgeable. I'm pretty sure he stocks sofno and they run the boat out to Komodo on a regular schedule most of the year. Not a very luxurious boat, but more reasonably priced than any others I've seen.

    Komodo is top notch diving, all the more so on CCR...

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts