+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: NOAA and Partners to Explore German Subs Sunk off North Carolina During World War II

RBW Member Offgas is on a distinguished road Offgas is on a distinguished road Offgas's Avatar

Re: NOAA and Partners to Explore German Subs Sunk off North Carolina During World War

And by this you believe NOAA has the funding (and authority) to make these areas sanctuaries?

How many wrecks on the east coast are off limits by NOAA authority currently? How many wrecks are there on the east coast?

Does making the Monitor available as a historical artifact for all people to enjoy ruin it somehow?

Offgas

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

Re: NOAA and Partners to Explore German Subs Sunk off North Carolina During World War

Quote Originally Posted by Offgas  View Original Post
    And by this you believe NOAA has the funding (and authority) to make these areas sanctuaries?
    yes and yes.

I definitely don't believe sanctuaries are bad. As long as they are well conceived (i.e., involving all stakeholders via a transparent process) and demonstrate a clear need and rationale for any particular/specific management actions, I personally would support it. I am simply informing others that steps are being taken to start this process for NC. And if the dive community does not opt to take a very active role as early as possible, it is likely that management actions could potentially be heavy-handed and ill thought out relative to recreational diving and exploration.

Does making the Monitor available as a historical artifact for all people to enjoy ruin it somehow?
    Never said it did "ruin it" but it definitely altered the actual dive site - no one can argue otherwise. There was something special about diving on the wreck with the actual engine and turret still in place. That is no longer possible. However, many more people (non-divers) can see these parts of the wreck in a museum. I totally understand that.
    It does raise interesting questions/contradictions relative to the debates regarding in situ preservation and the issue of war grave status, eh?
    Last edited by barney; 11th July 2008 at 05:22.

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

I think you're all jumping to conclusions.

Offgas

NOAA goes diving for U-boats in North Carolina | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

But still, the U-701 retains much of its original condition, and NOAA has maintained its goal of creating a sanctuary for the wreck.

"This is the one that has the most chance of being preserved and protected for the American public," Casserley said.

The other two submarine sites may also qualify for cultural protection, he said. A goal of the project is to have the wreck sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places as well as to establish diving sanctuaries.