+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CCR in lake Malawi in Africa???

Christian Rasmussen depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth's Avatar

CCR in lake Malawi in Africa???

Hi Rebreather World

My friend has just bought a Megalodon CCR and is starting training in a few weeks. He has booked a trip for 10 days of diving in lake Malawi in Africa later this year. He is considering bringing his CCR for the trip, but it seems like it could be a problem getting tanks, O2 fills and lime in this area.
    The weight allowence is very limited, so bringing what he needs is out of the question I think.

Does anyone have any experience with CCR diving in this location and could provide him with some ideas on what to do?

Have a great weekend and safe diving :)

ATB

/Christian
    Come to the darkside.... we have cookies...

Monty Guest montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg is a splendid one to behold montyg's Avatar
    APOCALYPSE #032

Ray, Dolphin, PVR-BASC, IDA-71

Re: CCR in lake Malawi in Africa???

I'd suggest your friend tries to get hold of the operator in Malawi whom he intends to dive with ASAP.

Chances are they only have air, and not even double filtered at that.

If there's anything I can do to help from South Africa, I will.

rgds
    monty

RBW Member PSquared is on a distinguished road PSquared is on a distinguished road PSquared's Avatar
    Megladon

Inspo Classic, Submatix

There are very few places in South Africa outside of the larger cities and towns where you can get an O2 fill. We took all our own gas to Namibia. I would suggest that it is highly unlikely that you will get O2, much less cylinders to hook onto the Meg.

RBW Member Africadiver is an unknown quantity at this point Africadiver's Avatar
    Megalodon, Pathfinder

Inspiration

There used to be an operator at Lake Malawi by the name of Glen Campbell, based at Monkey Bay, who dived an Inspiration and had everything required for CCR and tech diving. I haven't had contact with him years, so don't know if he is still around. The fact that Glen sourced oxygen and helium in Malawi a few years ago gives some hope that it is possibly still available. It is best to confirm with the operator in any event.

New Member Andyg is an unknown quantity at this point Andyg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Africadiver  View Original Post
    There used to be an operator at Lake Malawi by the name of Glen Campbell, based at Monkey Bay, who dived an Inspiration and had everything required for CCR and tech diving. I haven't had contact with him years, so don't know if he is still around. The fact that Glen sourced oxygen and helium in Malawi a few years ago gives some hope that it is possibly still available. It is best to confirm with the operator in any event.
    Glenn ran scuba shack at cape maclear. He had all the kit needed for tek and rebreather diving, is 02 and helium came from south Africa. I think Glenn is now in central America. Scuba shack is still there but without the tek facility. Kayak Africa which is also at Cape mclear have some O.C scuba gear but no rebreathers.
    Hope that is of some help.

Andyg

RBW Member Africadiver is an unknown quantity at this point Africadiver's Avatar
    Megalodon, Pathfinder

Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg  View Original Post
    Glenn ran scuba shack at cape maclear. He had all the kit needed for tek and rebreather diving, is 02 and helium came from south Africa. I think Glenn is now in central America. Scuba shack is still there but without the tek facility. Kayak Africa which is also at Cape mclear have some O.C scuba gear but no rebreathers.
    Hope that is of some help.

Andyg

Thanks for sorting my facts. I remember his facility being Scuba Shack, but admittedly my memory was a bit hazy on the where.

A

Christian Rasmussen depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth's Avatar

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies so far. From the looks of it, my friend will have trouble finding the sources for what he need

But still open for suggestions....

/Christian
    Come to the darkside.... we have cookies...

+ Reply to Thread