+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HUD Fitted to Kiss

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

Uri's HUD fitted to Kiss

Hi all,
    I bought the Kiss classic because I liked the philosophy of driving it myself, and the redundancy of the triple handset system and have been well pleased with the unit.
    I've just had Uri's HUD fitted to my Kiss - collaborative effort between Uri and myself, but pretty straightforward as we've sorted a good way to do it.
    It has only been in the water once and just sorting some minor niggles, so too early to report on it but I'll post an article in due course once I've had a few dives on it.
    The reason I went for this unit were:
    1. It features 3 independent signal channels fully in keeping with the original design philosophy of independence and redundancy.
    2. Even if there was a problem with the HUD (even to the extent of cutting its connecting cable and shorting it all out) the original displays continue working.
    3. Because of the triple displays I should be able to run the kiss normally,without the need to refer to the handsets, with confidence. When the PO2 drops or rises I don't need to refer to the handsets to correct it.
    Other advantages are:
    • I was able to specify the signalling sequence and PO2 ranges for each signal to my own specification to suit a MCCR.
    • There is no need to drill any new holes in the unit to fit it - or even any have any new gas connection points, as it can fit via the normally blanked-off spare O2 connection port.
    • I have an output from cell 1 via the HUD to my VR3 for deco calculation, but keep the 3 original handsets so if I do need to refer to them under pressure I am reading PO2s all presented in the same format and with the same response times - not the case if you replace 1 handset with a VR3.
    I'll let you know how I get on with it in due course but I'm really looking forward to HUD diving :D

Neil

Classic KISS No. 226 RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark's Avatar
    Classic KISS w. Shearwater GF

Re: HUD Fitted to Kiss

Hi Neil,

It'd be interesting to know what the 'niggles' were. Looking forward to your article.

Cheers

Rich

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

I'm curious what signalling sequence you specified and looking forward to the article. :)

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

Article posted

I've posted an article about fitting and using Uri Baran's Rebreather Guardian HUD on my Classic Kiss.

Any comments here please....

Confectioner to N@90 Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou is a splendid one to behold Louby Lou's Avatar

Sutty's article on the RBG for the Classic KISS can be found HERE

Many thanks

Lou
    RBW Staff
    Last edited by Louby Lou; 18th December 2005 at 16:51.

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Re: Article posted

Quote Originally Posted by Sutty
    Any comments here please....
    Very nice.

Just curious, how much did the package cost you in total ?

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Re: RBG KISS Article

Excellent, Neil, thoroughly enjoyed reading your article.
    Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I like the way you installed the RBG, very clean and reversible.
    Very well done. The lighting sequence you picked seems pretty good.
    If available I would have propbably chosen not to use the solid green
    as there is always the possible of a computer hanging. If that happens
    on an 'everything perfect' setting you may be in trouble without
    realizing it. All off or solid red are different as they point to problems.

Hence I hope you don't get complacent checking your gauges against
    the HUD.

Overall I really like what you did, a redundant monitoring system with the
    ability to add an offboard computer all without taking away from either
    the KISS principle or Jetsam's quality build.

Very well done, indeed. Same goes to Uri, fine job on the HUD.

Classic Kiss 165

I chose solid green for OK because I didn't want to get accustomed to a flashing signal, as a result whenever something starts flashing (or flickering) it gets my attention immediately. I did consider the possibility of hanging but as the 3 circuits are independant I'd be pretty unlucky for it to happen to all 3!! Because its a MCCR in the extraordinarily unlikely event of all 3 channels hanging I think I would realise there was a problem as I'd be losing loop volume without getting a slow flash to show PO2<1.25 before it got dangerous.

Total cost was about £950 all in (for the 160m rated unit, a cheaper version with Lumberg connectors & 100m limit is available), including the output to my VR3 for real-time, real-gas deco calculation, mounting for the display, charger, etc. I consider it money well spent, a significant improvement to safety and enjoyment.
    Last edited by Sutty; 20th December 2005 at 11:34. Reason: clarify costs

PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

I see your point, and you considered it which is important.
    Nice to have the option of configuring it the way it works best for the diver.
    Do I understand this correctly, there are three separate circuits inside the black box?
    That really makes it a nice setup.

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Thanks for publishing your write up really enjoyed reading it - have a blob.

Stuart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast