+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DAN Europe dive insurance, Are You Covered???

RBW Member dive-junkie is an unknown quantity at this point dive-junkie's Avatar
    Megalodon

Exclamation DAN Europe dive insurance, Are You Covered???

Hi all,

I was just about to renew my dive insurance with DAN Europe, as I'm new to rebreathers I thought I'd check if I was covered and if so what for.

I read the terms and conditions and was a bit unsure of what actually meant.

So, I emailed them to be safe, this is how it went;

.......... I have read the terms of insurance and I’m a little unsure of some of the terminology used, especially the accident coverage section about recreational technical diving.

Basically, will I be covered if my dive plan consists of;
    Diving with a rebreather on mixed gases (trimix, heliox, etc.) to depths upto 130metres (deeper if I gain consent from you prior to the dive) as long as I don’t exceed 1.4ata ppO2 and using oxygen enriched air and 100% oxygen for decompression?

Can I use a ppO2 of 1.6ata for O2 decompression?

Does it cover me for wreck and cave diving?

And the reply............

Hi Colin

DAN insurance plans cover recreational technical diving up to a maximum depth of - 130 mt.[/font]

Basically, you will be covered if your dive plan consists of;
    -Diving with a rebreather on mixed gases (trimix, heliox, etc.) to depths up to 130metres (deeper upon receiving consent from the DAN Claims Office prior to the dive) as long as you don’t exceed 1.4ata ppO2 and 3.95 ATA nitrogen.
    The use of oxygen enriched air or of oxygen for decompression is not considered recreational technical diving.
    Your plan covers also wreck and cave diving.

Please note that the search and recovery benefit is not available in case of cave diving[/font]

Yours sincerely...........

So I asssume using off board cylinders that have anything more than "AIR" in, for deco isn't covered?????

Has anyony else encountered this?

Does anyone know of a better insurance company?

I hope you guys can shed some more light on this

Cheers

Colin
    Last edited by dive-junkie; 17th June 2008 at 12:44. Reason: font change

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

Re: DAN Europe dive insurance, Are You Covered???

Love it:
    130 meters? no worries.
    Nitrox for deco? sorry Sir, that's not covered.

Did the miss meters and read it as feet?

RBW Member dive-junkie is an unknown quantity at this point dive-junkie's Avatar
    Megalodon

I wrote why it was okay to do a 6m deco on a rebreather at 1.4ata but not okay to do the same deco on 85% O2??? Crazy

Waiting on a reply........

Colin

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

If you bail out then don't get bent. If you do then you weren't on bail out. Keep repeating... I wasn't on bailout... I wasn't on bailout... I always get in the water with 30bar in a 12l bottle...

The British Caving Association do(did) a policy specifically designed for caving and cave diving which also includes rescue. Not sure what the depth/dive limits are (or how much).

Banned sailor is on a distinguished road sailor is on a distinguished road sailor's Avatar
    TR300c hCCR, Ray mCCR

Dolphin, Inspiration Vision

Quote Originally Posted by dive-junkie  View Original Post
    The use of oxygen enriched air or of oxygen for decompression is not considered recreational technical diving.
    I believe there´s a little bit of missunderstanding but i´m no expert regarding this !
    I believe DAN does not consider advanced nitrox procedures, like decompression with nitrox or oxygen, Recreational Technical Diving but just Recreational Diving.
    As you asked them for Recreational Technical Diving they just wanted to clarify that they do not consider advanced nitrox procedures Recreational Technical Diving already.
    In my opinion that does not mean they are not covering advanced nitrox procedures or decompressing using these procedures.

I still might be wrong !

RBW Member Dive!Dive! is on a distinguished road Dive!Dive! is on a distinguished road Dive!Dive!'s Avatar

I also think there is a missunderstanding. Take a look at the terms of insurance on the DAN website (its a pdf file) and read the article on 'Accident Coverage'. I agree its badly written but I believe the para which starts 'Not considered as Recreational Technical Diving.........' refers not to the para immediately preceding but rather to the 2 bulleted points above. Thats the only way it makes sense and becomes consistent with my previous understanding of DAN i.e. you are essentially insured for anything as long as you're within local regulations etc and have their permission if you want to go deeper than 130m.....
    Clearly to dive up to 130m without the use of deco gas is ludicrous and that cannot be the meaning. Still it would be nice to have clearer language.
    I'm just about to renew mine as well - hence the interest.....
    Steve

Banned sailor is on a distinguished road sailor is on a distinguished road sailor's Avatar
    TR300c hCCR, Ray mCCR

I brought this thread to both DAN Europe and DAN US attention already.
    Maybe someone from DAN will answer here.

Megalodon

I just a reply back from DAN, here it is;

Dear Colin

thanks for returning and request of additional info.

The use of oxygen enriched air or of oxygen for decompression to maximize decompression safety, the use of normoxic "trimix" mixtures at depths less than 50 mt to minimize the narcotic effects of compressed air is not considered recreational technical diving and is included in the general definition of the previous 2 points. (please see bottom right of page one of the certificate).

In other words it is covered....

Hope the above clarifies your concerns..........

The wording in the terms is a bit vague, as it is in all insurance, I kind of thought it must be covered in some way, or it would just be plain stupid.

So the way I see it, covered to 130m (unlimited if you ask them first), below 50m you can use all gases, above 50m enriched air, O2 and normoxic trimix.

Woo Hoo:)

Interestingly, my girlfriend is American but we've been in Thailand for a bit, DAN US won't cover her as she is no longer classified as a US resident and DAN SEA don't cover rebreathers!

Colin

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

Hi Colin,
    Are you sure DAN Asia Pacific don't cover rebreathers? As I understood it, it was Australian members who are not covered, but outside Australia it is OK.

Dave

TR300c hCCR, Ray mCCR

I got a reply from DAN Europe and they are considering decompression with Nitrox or Oxygen not Recreational Technical Diving but it is covered anyhow.

This is what DAN Europe replied to me:

Dear Reiner,

thank you for your inquiry and attention.

The use of Nitrox and Oxygen during the decompression stages is covered, as written in our policy.
    There is thus no problem in using it during any kind of diving as deco gas.

The use of Nitrox is also not considered technical diving in the terms of insurance. Which means that the same rules as air diving apply.

Kindest regards

Mauro Poli MS
    DAN EUROPE
    Operations Headquarters
    Communications Department

Please make sure that when replying to an e-mail, attach previous messages for reference and speed in replying. This message is confidential. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the addressee. If you received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately.
    Da: Reiner
    Inviato: martedì 17 giugno 2008 22.11
    A: mail@daneurope.org; germany@daneurope.org
    Oggetto: Thread on rebreatherworl.com regarding Recreational Technical Diving

Hello,
    i´m a DAN-Europe member and stumpled over this thread on rebreatherworld.com.
    I believe there´s a missunderstanding going on.
    Can you please have a look into the below linked thread and confirm that you are covering decompression procedures with Nitrox and Oxygen for Recreational Technical Diving.
    Thanks
    unquote

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast