+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Florida S.C.R.U.B. Trip Report: Wreck of the Scutty, Tracy & Mercy Jesus: 06-15-2008

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Florida S.C.R.U.B. Trip Report: Wreck of the Scutty, Tracy & Mercy Jesus: 06-15-2008

On June the 15th, the Florida S.C.R.U.B.’s once again boarded Scubatyme in Pompano Beach, Florida for an afternoon of great rebreather diving. This outing was organized by Tony (Tienuts), and the plan was to dive one long dive on three Pompano Beach wrecks within close proximity of each other. However, as a result of high current during the morning dive, Scubatyme’s crew suggested we alter out plan and instead head south to complete a dive that consisted of a South/North drift. Consequently, we ended up diving, what over the past few months has become a Florida S.C.R.U.B.’s favorite, one long dive on the Wreck of the Scutty, the Wreck of the Tracy and the Wreck of the Mercy Jesus.

If you search through our previous trip reports, you’ll find we’ve completed this very same dive twice within the last few months, yet, in spite of that, none of the group was disappointed, because this dive consistently delivers post-dive smiles, and today was no different.

When we arrived at the site, we were please to see that, besides the calm seas, the wrecks were visible from the surface, which indicated the visibility was at least 70 feet, which is the average depth of the wrecks. The current picked up a bit throughout the dive, but it never became strong enough to cause any real inconvenience. The plan was to dive one 2½ hour long dive, starting at the Scutty and finishing up at the Mercy Jesus.

As usual, I had my trusty point and shoot camera with me, so I could share some pictures of the dive with all you folks in Rebreather World. There were definitely some interesting critters to photograph during the dive, including one beautiful Florida Regal Sea Goddess, which was a first for me. So kick back and enjoy some pics!

Here are a few pics of Scubatyme, which has become one of the groups favorite dive boats to charter. Enzo and the crew are extremely rebreather friendly and have no problem accommodating to our 2 and 3 hour long dives.

Rob (Vidodvr) waiting to board the boat with his Kiss Rebreather.

Scott (PadiPro) off-loading his Meg Rebrather.

Here’s part of the group with Enzo, discussing the plan at the dock, prior to our departure.

And of course, the trip would not be complete without Lisa (LEDiveVideo) filming video for her fabulous website www.ledivevideo.com.

Tim (Netmage) demonstrates that, even when breathing on the loop, you can still take off your mask to pose for a quick picture:

Here’s Netmage and Tienuts hovering just off the Scutty early in the dive.

On the Scutty, we encountered two extremely friendly fish chasing each other around the wreck the entire time. They were either large Porcupinefish or Spotted Burrfish, or maybe even one of each, and they made for great photo opportunities while they cruised by.

Thanks Vidodvr for being a patient buddy while I documented the dive!

Here’s a couple of shots of the bow and prop/stern section of the Scutty.

After about 45 minutes on the Scutty, Vidodvr and me followed the concrete cylinders over to the Tracy. Here’s a few shots of the view we saw as we approached the stern of the Tracy.

The Tracy had some great French Angelfish, which had no problem posing for a few quick shot.

We also saw several large friendly Barracuda hovering over and around the Tracy, including one which thought he was the skipper of the vessel, because he confidently occupied the wheelhouse.

Here’s a shot from the bow of the Tracy.

After spending a good 45 minutes or so on the Tracy, we headed north, following the rebar trail to the Mercy Jesus, which faces south. Here’s the view of the wreck as we approached it.

Not long after arriving at the last wreck, Netmage called me over and pointed out a beautiful dark blue and yellow Florida Regal Sea Goddess. Even though these are known to be somewhat common in Florida waters, after over 20 years of diving, I had never seen one. Consequently, I spent the rest of the dive taking shots of it, while it inched it’s way around the wreck.

As is always the case, after a great day of diving, we headed out for the post dive meal and dive debriefing. Today, we headed over to Bru’s Room Sports Grill for some amazing ribs and garlic chicken wings! From left to right, Scott (PadiPro), Tim (Netmage), Richard (PacketSniffer) visiting from Houston, Rob (Vidodvr) and your's truly Adrian (SFLDiver).

Enjoy!
    Last edited by sfldiver; 16th June 2008 at 14:00.

RBW Member Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee's Avatar
    OPTIMA

Re: Florida S.C.R.U.B. Trip Report: Wreck of the Scutty, Tracy & Mercy Jesus: 06-15-2

Great pictures and a great report. Hopefully I can soon start diving again instead of just reading about the dives.

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Re: Florida S.C.R.U.B. Trip Report: Wreck of the Scutty, Tracy & Mercy Jesus: 06-15-2

Great report (like always).

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by Diverlee  View Original Post
    Great pictures and a great report. Hopefully I can soon start diving again instead of just reading about the dives.
    Looking forward to having you join us soon!

Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDadMiami  View Original Post
    Great report (like always).
    Glad you enjoyed it Howard - Your presence was certainly missed yesterday!

+ Reply to Thread