+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: stitched Meg counter lungs

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

stitched Meg counter lungs

I have just ordered counter lungs from ISC on a new shearwater unit and have asked the factory to stitch the top portion of the lungs surounding the t-pieces.

I have been using trim weights for a few years to pull me horizontal when diving dry but feel that by having them done this way I should be able to drop the small weights.

Has anyone has had their lungs stitched at the top to prevent gas in the upper portion of the lung and does it help with trim.

Christian Rasmussen depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth's Avatar

Re: stitched Meg counter lungs

Quote Originally Posted by tecdivertraining  View Original Post
    I have just ordered counter lungs from ISC on a new shearwater unit and have asked the factory to stitch the top portion of the lungs surounding the t-pieces.

I have been using trim weights for a few years to pull me horizontal when diving dry but feel that by having them done this way I should be able to drop the small weights.

Has anyone has had their lungs stitched at the top to prevent gas in the upper portion of the lung and does it help with trim.
    Hi Mathew

I had my CL's stitched at the bottom part in one side, this worked out great. However, stitching the top of the CL's sounds like a bad idea from a theoretcal point of view IMOH. I think you will experience increased WOB because you have to "push" the exhaled gas down in the counterlung and there is a potential chance og you getting the beaver cheeks ;)

I could be wrong.

You could test it if one of you dive buddies has a meg. Simply clamp the CL's on the top with something that can hold the lungs together and do a test dive.

Please note that ISC not only stitches the lungs, glue is also used! So if you want to return them to their original design, it could cause some problems. Maybe you can tell ISC not to use glue?

Hope it helps...

/Christian
    Come to the darkside.... we have cookies...

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by depth  View Original Post
    Hi Mathew

I had my CL's stitched at the bottom part in one side, this worked out great. However, stitching the top of the CL's sounds like a bad idea from a theoretcal point of view IMOH. I think you will experience increased WOB because you have to "push" the exhaled gas down in the counterlung and there is a potential chance og you getting the beaver cheeks ;)

I could be wrong.

You could test it if one of you dive buddies has a meg. Simply clamp the CL's on the top with something that can hold the lungs together and do a test dive.

Please note that ISC not only stitches the lungs, glue is also used! So if you want to return them to their original design, it could cause some problems. Maybe you can tell ISC not to use glue?

Hope it helps...

/Christian
    Hi Christian,

Interesting points, I would be interested to here from anyone who has done it that has had work of breathing issues as I have done it on old classic lungs and had no problems.

Thanks for your post

RBW Member Konaquatica will become famous soon enough Konaquatica will become famous soon enough Konaquatica will become famous soon enough Konaquatica will become famous soon enough Konaquatica's Avatar

Aloha Matthew,

While I was at ISC, building Megs and completing my Meg technician's course, Leon (ISC's president and the father of the Meg) personally sewed part of the top and upper inner edges of my counterlungs. The reason is that I have large shoulders and chest and this would give me more room.

With these counterlungs, I have had no problems trimming out in caves, wrecks, deep dives, etc. Earlier on I put ankle weights into the back counterlung pockets, with about 1 - 1.5 lbs on each side, but have stopped diving with them. As an aside, evidently a new Meg student in a course with another instructor, put regular lead weights in the pockets with a bunch of duct tape, without the instructor's knowledge. Problem was that the weights were large enough and at the exact height that they blocked the t-pieces. Not a good idea, but the sewing of counterlungs can be, based on my experience, a very good one. I believe Leon also was personally diving a set with this modification, so you may want to contact ISC. BTW, I have dived these lungs on the COPIS 2 as well, with naturally the same good results and yes, I do think that it helps slightly with trim. Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy your APECS 2.7 with the Shearwater !

Jim Holt
    Last edited by Konaquatica; 13th June 2008 at 09:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Konaquatica  View Original Post
    Aloha Matthew,

While I was at ISC, building Megs and completing my Meg technician's course, Leon (ISC's president and the father of the Meg) personally sewed part of the top and upper inner edges of my counterlungs. The reason is that I have large shoulders and chest and this would give me more room.

With these counterlungs, I have had no problems trimming out in caves, wrecks, deep dives, etc. Earlier on I put ankle weights into the back counterlung pockets, with about 1 - 1.5 lbs on each side, but have stopped diving with them. As an aside, evidently a new Meg student in a course with another instructor, put regular lead weights in the pockets with a bunch of duct tape. Problem was that the weights were large enough and at the exact height that they blocked the t-pieces. Not a good idea, but the sewing of counterlungs can be, based on my experience, a very good one. I believe Leon also was personally diving a set with this modification, so you may want to contact ISC. BTW, I have dived these lungs on the COPIS 2 as well. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jim Holt
    Hi Jim

Thanks for the feedback, I had already got confirmation from the factory they will do it on my new unit I was just looking to see if anyone has had a bad expierence, I think it should work just fine for me, Thnaks for your post and feedback.

Hi Christian,

Interesting points, I would be interested to here from anyone who has done it that has had work of breathing issues as I have done it on old classic lungs and had no problems.

Thanks for your post
    I had the inside sewed on both CLs. The WOB increase made the rig undiveable for me. Only 1 CL sewed on the inside was fine. I don't know how that relates to sewing just the top. In the end I had them unsewn.

Quote Originally Posted by UWSojourner  View Original Post
    I had the inside sewed on both CLs. The WOB increase made the rig undiveable for me. Only 1 CL sewed on the inside was fine. I don't know how that relates to sewing just the top. In the end I had them unsewn.
    Im interested to know which part of the lung you had sewed and why you chose to do it?

Im interested to know which part of the lung you had sewed and why you chose to do it?
    I sewed the inside edge of both CLs. I chose to do it to try and reduce the profile of the CLs.

Christian Rasmussen depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth's Avatar

I hope I don't go off topic here (sorry if I do)

Come to think of it, the meg counterlung are one of the downsides of the megalodon rebreather IMHO. They are tough and well made, but they are also very bulky, non streamlined and big. Especially for me who is only 175cm tall and 63kg.
    I had mine stitched smaller by sewing the bottom inseam together on one side on each CL. They now fit my tidal volume better, but they are still WAY to big.

Nice to get that of my chest :)

Safe diving

/Christian
    Come to the darkside.... we have cookies...

Diving SIL Technology Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko is a jewel in the rough Thom Susko's Avatar
    Next Generation Rebreather

IDA-71, Ray, LarV, Meg, C96

Quote Originally Posted by depth  View Original Post
    I hope I don't go off topic here (sorry if I do)

Come to think of it, the meg counterlung are one of the downsides of the megalodon rebreather IMHO. They are tough and well made, but they are also very bulky, non streamlined and big. Especially for me who is only 175cm tall and 63kg.
    I had mine stitched smaller by sewing the bottom inseam together on one side on each CL. They now fit my tidal volume better, but they are still WAY to big.

Nice to get that of my chest :)

Safe diving

/Christian
    Had some say they got the neoprene counterlungs for that very reason. I have a pair but haven't tried them yet so I can't say but they are definitley smaller and more streamlined.

Also of note is that they were the first counterlungs to be used on the Meg and are the type chosen for the Cis Mk16.

I believe there are pros and cons no matter what configuration you use.

Thom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast